Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Is Qatar Airways safe for gay passengers?

Is Qatar Airways safe for gay passengers?

Old Oct 12, 2014, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by purple1addict
Alcohol is also prohibited by law in Qatar
This is not correct. Alcohol is available to anybody (apart from Qatari ladies) willing to pay the price in hotels and, through a liquor permit system, anybody who is not muslim and earning over about QAR 5,000 per month at a warehouse.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
(apart from Qatari ladies)
???

Yes it is illegal for muslims to drink. However, go to the spice market or other hotel restruants and you will find Qatari's (in local dress) drinking pints of beer.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
???
Hotels will not serve alcohol to Qatari ladies but they will serve alcohol to Qatari gentlemen. Furthermore, since all Qatari ladies are muslim they are not eligible for a liquor permit.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:53 am

Hotels will not serve alcohol to Qatari ladies but they will serve alcohol to Qatari gentlemen. Furthermore, since all Qatari ladies are muslim they are not eligible for a liquor permit.
SO Qatari men are not muslims???

All Qatari's are muslim they are born into it and not a choice if they want all the benefits of being a Qatari.

Islam forbids alcohol and it is illegal for muslims to consum alcohol in Qatar. You can not get a liquor permit if your IC states you are muslim.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: EBS, EY Gold Eite, EK Gold, QR Platinum, Accor Gold
Alcohol and muslims are an interesting topic, but we are maybe a bit off topic from OP now?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Gays and Muslims are an interesting topic, and on topic!

I know that as a straight guy, the gay Arab activity at the Doha Grand Hyatt was obvious enough for me to notice when I lived there for three months last year.

I was never hit on, I'm far too unattractive.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:36 am
Suspended

How would they know?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
This is not correct.
Oops - my mistake... (quietly exits room )
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by QatarA340
Quote:

for the record, there is no law against homosexuality, but the law states it is illegal to have sex outside of marriage. Staight or gay. But, its not like its enforced all the time and its just a flight;

Have a nice flight
I didn't know that. I had thought Qatar law was based on sharia law. I guess not.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:29 am

Programs: Ryanair PLATINUM : ) TK GOLD, AZ Gold, Radisson - gold,Marriott - gold
flew in F and C on QR and all male crew on my flighst was gay and very sweet but too stressed

indeed i d be careful at the airport in DOH and dont do anything that you would not do at home eg avoid obvious intimate gestures in front of security etc

champagne in all classes will make your flight really cool and relaxing - just enjoy it with moderation
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:46 pm

The UAE

Originally Posted by QatarA340
Well, of course there would be concerns. For one thing, male passengers would have to undergo a strict sexuality test prove their staightness; and you will undertake a strict physical probe by police officers to check for any signs of homosexuality where you would undertake hormone replacement therapy until you get cured of this disease.

... just kidding. and no offense

It is perfectly safe to travel as a couple.

for the record, there is no law against homosexuality, but the law states it is illegal to have sex outside of marriage. Staight or gay. But, its not like its enforced all the time and its just a flight;

Have a nice flight

OK so this is blatantly wrong. Here are the laws in Qatar, which seem progressive compared to other countries in the middle east where be LGBT can get you throwout of a tower, stoned or life in prison:
Since 2004, Article 296 of the current Penal Code (Law 11/2004)[2] stipulate imprisonment between 1 and 3 years for sodomy between men. This is a slight revision of the original law that stipulated up to five years imprisonment for male homosexuality.

In 1995 an American citizen visiting Qatar was sentenced to six months in prison and 90 lashes for homosexual activity.[3] In the 1990s, Philippine Overseas Employment Administration informed Philippine workers that gay workers were prohibited in Qatar. This was in response to several mass arrests and deportations of Philippine workers in Qatar, for homosexuality.[4]

Article 296 of the Penal Code does not address sexual acts between women. However, gay or bisexual women living in Qatar could face criminal charges for violating other public morality laws, such as the ban on fornication or, if they are lawfully married, the ban on adultery.

As someone who loves to fly and loves luxury I understand that the big 3 middle eastern airlines have over the top amazing products, but I would never give them a cent as long as these laws are in place. Obviously I am in a minority here (or a double minority as the case maybe ) but morally I can not support government run airlines from places that at best want to put me in prison at worst want me dead. Sure lots of gay people work for them (though they state in there HR rules they don't hire gay people) and live there because they were born there can't or don't want to immigrate, denial or family. You know it's easy for you to say their laws are never enforced, it's not a problem, tons of gay people fly them without incident every year, etc. But the reality is all it takes is one law enforcement person in a bad mood and you could find yourself in prison simply for the fact of being gay. As I don't think there is probably a lot of sodomy on the flights I'll never fly them and don't think LGBT people should give these airlines their business. Just my 2 cents.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nickguest
OK so this is blatantly wrong. Here are the laws in Qatar, which seem progressive compared to other countries in the middle east where be LGBT can get you throwout of a tower, stoned or life in prison:
Since 2004, Article 296 of the current Penal Code (Law 11/2004)[2] stipulate imprisonment between 1 and 3 years for sodomy between men. This is a slight revision of the original law that stipulated up to five years imprisonment for male homosexuality.

In 1995 an American citizen visiting Qatar was sentenced to six months in prison and 90 lashes for homosexual activity.[3] In the 1990s, Philippine Overseas Employment Administration informed Philippine workers that gay workers were prohibited in Qatar. This was in response to several mass arrests and deportations of Philippine workers in Qatar, for homosexuality.[4]

Article 296 of the Penal Code does not address sexual acts between women. However, gay or bisexual women living in Qatar could face criminal charges for violating other public morality laws, such as the ban on fornication or, if they are lawfully married, the ban on adultery.
Welcome to FlyerTalk NickGuest.

Obviously I am in a minority here (or a double minority as the case maybe )
You may well be in a minority for refusing to do business with the middle east three (but you are certainly not alone), but I don't think you need to worry about being in a double minority here on FlyerTalk, assuming I got your meaning on that point!

But the reality is all it takes is one law enforcement person in a bad mood and you could find yourself in prison simply for the fact of being gay.
I think law enforcement doesn't really work like this in the middle east. Akbar Al Baker would probably detonate in anger if QR police started threatening his business by hassling western passengers in DOH terminal.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: QR Gold

As someone who loves to fly and loves luxury I understand that the big 3 middle eastern airlines have over the top amazing products, but I would never give them a cent as long as these laws are in place. .
Good riddance!

Bon Voyage!
Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recall a time when we had a consultant in from the UK at Qatar Airways Tower.

He was gay.

Four of us were together looking at his laptop screen as he showed us some things he had been working on. As well as the consultant there was me, my boss and Al Baker himself looking at that screen.

An e-mail notification comes up at the bottom right side of the screen.

It said "Gaydar - Hot men in your area!" We all just ignored it!
Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recall a time when we had a consultant in from the UK at Qatar Airways Tower.

He was gay.

Four of us were together looking at his laptop screen as he showed us some things he had been working on. As well as the consultant there was me, my boss and Al Baker himself looking at that screen.

An e-mail notification comes up at the bottom right side of the screen.

It said "Gaydar - Hot men in your area!" We all just ignored it!
So which one of you was the notification referring to??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.