Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787 in Y

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2014, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum (Oneworld Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (Skyteam Gold), Shangri-La GC (Jade)
787 in Y

I am flying in Y to SIN next month as my upgrade request hit the wall for both ways. So, I am stuck in the back.

Are the seats really tiny? I read a report saying that they were quite uncomfortable. Is that true?

Unrelated second question: Has anyone successfully upgraded a YUL-DOH segment using Qmiles? It seems that it is a very tough one to score both as award seat and upgrades.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The seats on 787 are 16.9" wide and the seats on 777 are 18.4" wide. That is a difference of 1.5", or in other words that the 787's seats are 91.8% of the width of the 777's.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum (Oneworld Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (Skyteam Gold), Shangri-La GC (Jade)
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
The seats on 787 are 16.9" wide and the seats on 777 are 18.4" wide. That is a difference of 1.5", or in other words that the 787's seats are 91.8% of the width of the 777's.
I really like the scientific accuracy of the response!

so basically, I'll have 8.2% less room for my bum!
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:02 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
It's the worst layout of any QR aircraft in Economy (to my knowledge). Not too bad if you have an empty seat next to you, but a full cabin makes for some very uncomfortable shoulder bumping with your seat neighbour. Not good leg room either with only 31" pitch. Sorry to hear you're stuck with it for your upcoming trip... Keep checking for award upgrades!
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by purple1addict
It's the worst layout of any QR aircraft in Economy (to my knowledge). Not too bad if you have an empty seat next to you, but a full cabin makes for some very uncomfortable shoulder bumping with your seat neighbour. Not good leg room either with only 31" pitch. Sorry to hear you're stuck with it for your upcoming trip... Keep checking for award upgrades!

How dreadful!
Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would only fly in one of these seats if it was an emergency or I had a guarantee of an empty seat next to me.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I would only fly in one of these seats if it was an emergency or I had a guarantee of an empty seat next to me.

I guess I'll have to suck it up and suffer…in silence. The way out is a day flight, so it should be bearable. The return flight is at 21:05 and I expect it to be a rough one.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by wandering_persian

I guess I'll have to suck it up and suffer…in silence. The way out is a day flight, so it should be bearable. The return flight is at 21:05 and I expect it to be a rough one.
The pitch might be a bit a low on the inches, but the seat is designed to have a sort of hollow-esque space at the knees--so you have "good" legroom. I would choose the aisle seat in the middle. ^
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: QR PC Silver, FlySmiles, Skywards
I find the 787 Y seats quite comfortable.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wandering_persian
I have taken the nine o'clock flight from Singapore to Doha. I was only in Singapore for one night and so had no jet lag. The flight gets back into Doha at about midnight so if you are still on or near to Doha time you might be able to get away with pretending that it is a day flight.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: QR Platinum
The 787 in Y is terrible!!
Love J though! Really one of the best!
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:41 pm

I have just had the pleasure of a trip back to the UK from PER to attend a wedding and see family and friends.

On the DOH-EDI I was on the 787 in Y, its a total disaster for me, I'm 6ft4" and luckily not that wide. I sat in the seat and my knees were only about 1-2cm from the hinges of the arms of the seat in front. The seats are also not that wide and make you feel more cramped, we both noticed a huge difference from the 777 from PER-DOH.

Even though the routing is great I will be avoiding it in the future if I'm going to be in Y, I would much rather route through LHR or somewhere else in Europe before doing that flight again!
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Well, most people agree with you. - The 787 in Y is awful.
Some don't! I guess they are very short and thin!
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Etihad Silver
Are the seats the same on the new A380s?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SinkOrSwim
Are the seats the same on the new A380s?
No - they are wider on the 380s. I think that they are the same width as seats on the 777.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.