Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar Airways - the sweet and the sour

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI

I had been considering switching to QR from BA, largely because the BA service on the LHR-CAI has become abysmal - AND because I can get a J fare CAI-DOH-LHR for around $1,400 compared to BA's around $2,200. Not to mention that I get 400 BAEC TPs flying with QR compared to only 280, flying with BA.

As a dry run, and this was to all intents and purposes my first experience with QR, I took my wife on holiday to Thailand with QR. The CAI-DOH flight was designated F in an A330, and the DOH-BKK was J in a B777.

The start was not promising, since for some reason QR has been given a slot at Cairo's Terminal 1, where departing passengers have to push and shove through a door resembling the back entrance to a butcher's shop. However, I suppose not exactly QR's fault.

The flights on both outward sectors were everything I had been led to expect, attentive service, great comfort, good food and wine. So far, so good.

I had been filled with some apprehension about the state of play at HIA, from reading these forums, but I have to say that I have had FAR worse experiences elsewhere. There was not that great a walk from the gate, I had no difficulty finding the fast track security line, and in no time at all we were ensconced in a perfectly acceptable Silver Lounge. Admittedly there didn't seem to be that many people around at that time of night, and because it was Ramadan no booze was being served.

We arrived in Bangkok refreshed and decidedly pleased with our QR experience.

On the return, I did have an issue with QR. They brought forward the flight by what they told me was a "mere" 50 minutes. Well the mere 50 minutes meant I had to change connecting flights into BKK, with a financial penalty to be made, and personal arrangements having to go by the board, and having to hang around BKK airport for over 6 hours. QR staff were less than helpful or even sympathetic.

However. We had a 10 hour stopover in DOH, not paid for by QR, but I was perfectly happy to spring $150 or so for a room at the HIA hotel. And very pleased I was too. It was smart and comfortable, and the ability to break a journey with a great night's sleep in a comfortable bed, put us both back in a good mood. We checked out the swimming pool, which is amazing, set in a bridge that straddles the main concourse, looking down at the teddy bear; there is a fine gym, and a couple of squash courts. Should you wish to play, rackets and shoes are loaned to you. There is a well equipped gym, and fairly soon there will be a spa and massage experience available.

It is instructive to calculate that if the cost of the hotel is added to the air fare, the experience is still cheaper than a direct flight to BKK with Egyptair, which is a dry airline, and although not as bad as people make out, is clearly not in the same league as QR. We even thought we might slot a full day and night in Doha Airport on a future trip, as part of the vacation experience!

After a very good night's sleep, we went into the now-open Business Class lounge for breakfast - actually two breakfasts! I think this lounge is stunning and one would have be a bit precious to find any serious fault with it.

After breakfast we strolled to the gate, and had a peaceful and relaxed flight back to Cairo.

But that is when the QR experience turned very sour.

We had checked two bags into QR in BKK, THREE hours before the flight. And we had a TEN hour stopover in DOH. And when we got to CAI, one of the bags was missing. How can such a thing happen? OK I know that these things do happen - but when you have to then spend another 5 hours in an infested tip like CAI Terminal 1 Customs Hall, waiting for the next DOH flight to arrive, hopefully with your bag, then you are unlikely to make allowances. Especially when your bag has been tagged with a very large "FIRST CLASS" label.

In all fairness, the QR girl in the Customs Hall was fabulous. She could see that we were distraught, took us to her air conditioned office, and settled us down. Quickly and efficiently she organised a compensation payment of $75 for the inconvenience (although I would rather have had the bag than the cash!) And she never left my side when 5 hours later I had to elbow my way through an ill-mannered scrum to retrieve my bag, which was literally the last one off the later flight from Doha - despite being marked RUSH.

All in all, we had a First Class experience on the plane(s), but I did feel that QR's organisational experience was rather less than First Class. Though I would definitely give Sarah a medal!

I have to fly to LHR in October, so will I go with QR rather than BA?

Yes, I rather think I will, despite the sour that opposes the sweet....
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by mtdd
I had been considering switching to QR from BA, largely because the BA service on the LHR-CAI has become abysmal - AND because I can get a J fare CAI-DOH-LHR for around $1,400 compared to BA's around $2,200. Not to mention that I get 400 BAEC TPs flying with QR compared to only 280, flying with BA.
That's a pretty hefty detour -- more than double the distance flown and probably, including a layover, nearly triple the time. Hardly seems worth it for the cost savings.

Of course, for the extra miles (with the bonanza of sometimes getting F credit for the CAI-DOH segment on a J trip as you mention) and better experience, I can understand. Plus you get QR's widebody equipment (pretty much every aircraft type in their fleet goes to LHR at some point).

It's an interesting case study why QR even sells tickets between CAI and western Europe. I guess because of the large O&D market between Egypt and the Gulf, it makes sense for QR to build loyalty and service Egyptian flyers as broadly as possible. Maybe they think that CAI is underserved, although the low fares from there wouldn't suggest that. It's hard for me to imagine QR making a lot of profit selling J tickets CAI-DOH-LHR for $1,400. I guess they have enough capacity to not worry about crowding out people connecting from much higher-fare origins.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Well I just got a quote on matrix, and it was $1600, which is still incredibly cheap. Like yourself I don't really understand why QR is selling ex-Cairo so cheaply - but long may it last!

The BA flight to Cairo is not only expensive, but they have turned it into a night flight on downgraded equipment, and it leaves from an impossibly distant gate in T1. I might not travel to LHR every time, but when I am not in a rush, I think it makes a comfortable and inexpensive alternative to fly with QR.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:13 am

It is instructive to calculate that if the cost of the hotel is added to the air fare, the experience is still cheaper than a direct flight to BKK with Egyptair, which is a dry airline, and although not as bad as people make out, is clearly not in the same league as QR.
The reason nonstop flights cost more is that most frequent flyers will, given the choice, choose a nonstop flight even if on a lesser airline. One reason is that it takes less time, but also it avoids the risks associated with connections, such as unexpected rescheduling of flights (or delayed flights) and baggage not being correctly transferred. Your experience nicely illustrates these risks. No biggie.

It seems you got good service on the ground, which is not the norm for QR, and must be credited to the contractor at CAI rather than to QR.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The part that surprises me is that I have never had to wait at the airport when luggage was lost - airlines always offered to deliver. Did you actually choose to wait or is it something specific with Egyptian regulations or is it actually a QR choice?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
The part that surprises me is that I have never had to wait at the airport when luggage was lost - airlines always offered to deliver. Did you actually choose to wait or is it something specific with Egyptian regulations or is it actually a QR choice?
I can't speak specifically for Egypt, but many countries (in particular third-world countries) have strict and convoluted Customs regulations and the airline cannot just take baggage through Customs for you. Also, here there was another flight arriving the same day, which is not always the case for international flights.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG

I find the changing departure time at short notice to be odd and annoying. Anecdotally, from reading this forum, it seems QR change their schedules quite abit at short notice and seem unsympathetic to the disruption it causes. Would have thought sticking to schedules was an important "5*" attribute.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
It is a relatively new security regulation that the passenger must recover the bag personally. And since it would have taken longer to go home and come back, than to wait for the next flight, it was a no-brainer to wait. What irritated me was that It took a further hour after the arrival of the second flight, to get the bag - it was the last to arrive, despite being labelled First Class and RUSH.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It is a relatively new security regulation that the passenger must recover the bag personally. And since it would have taken longer to go home and come back, than to wait for the next flight, it was a no-brainer to wait. What irritated me was that It took a further hour after the arrival of the second flight, to get the bag - it was the last to arrive, despite being labelled First Class and RUSH.
Thanks for the explanation!
Old Aug 16, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
The reason nonstop flights cost more is that most frequent flyers will, given the choice, choose a nonstop flight even if on a lesser airline.
Very true. Few of my colleagues would consider such a detour, those that travel the most often will do all they can to spend more time at home.

It makes sense that BA charge the premium they can for point to point travel, but it appears that they are having to discount from other stations to fill the even smaller planes. BA had been charging £200 out of BRU for flights to CAI over the last few months (often only a little more for the same flights only as far as and back from LHR). I see that others have done so too (LX, LH). AZ is still selling seats for £180. QR must realise they need offer a hefty discount to attract any LHR bound travellers.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dan72
Very true. Few of my colleagues would consider such a detour, those that travel the most often will do all they can to spend more time at home.

It makes sense that BA charge the premium they can for point to point travel, but it appears that they are having to discount from other stations to fill the even smaller planes. BA had been charging £200 out of BRU for flights to CAI over the last few months (often only a little more for the same flights only as far as and back from LHR). I see that others have done so too (LX, LH). AZ is still selling seats for £180. QR must realise they need offer a hefty discount to attract any LHR bound travellers.
I think in general you are right. I would make two points, however: firstly, not everyone is a business traveller. Although I do still work, I pay my tickets effectively from my own pocket, and rarely do I travel purely on business: so time is on my side, and while I do enjoy the premium travel experience, I have to manage my budget carefully. In this regard, QR reaches the parts BA does't reach.

Secondly, the cheapness of QR business class fares isn't just CAI-LHR: it's CAI - pretty much anywhere. Try CAI - DOH - JFK.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:04 am
Original Poster

I just checked out fares for my brother in law to visit at Christmas. PEK-CAI-PEK with QR came to around $3,750.

I then checked out what it would cost for us to visit him in Beijing, flying in probably the same aircraft, and it came to $1,576....

Over $2,000 cheaper? How does that work? There are not too many perks to living in Egypt these days, but that has to count.

Last edited by mtdd; Aug 21, 2014 at 4:30 am
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *G, EY Gold, AZ CFP (ST E+). Hilton Gold
Competition I guess.
With EY CAI-PEK-CAI in the same price range it's difficult for QR to raise it higer than £1000.
Similarly, J fares out of China are rarely cheap in general. £2000 seems to be the lower end of going rates in J to Europe and North Africa. Plus, isn't Christmas the high season for travelling to Egypt (perhaps less so these days with the situation in Cairo and Sinai, but still)

How I wish there were a cheap way to get to CAI from UK to take advantage of these low fares!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hawklx
How I wish there were a cheap way to get to CAI from UK to take advantage of these low fares!
There is! LHR-DOH-CAI on QR

I did another search on Matrix:

CAI-DOH-PEK J Class return: $1576
DOH-PEK J Class return: $4110 - on the exact same flight numbers and dates as this sector in the ex-CAI itinerary.

I still don't get it that the shorter flight, originating out of DOH, should be almost 3 times more expensive than the longer flight. I find it bizarre - but very welcome, as a Cairo resident!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.