Really really poor customer service

Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Hi, as i have had no acknowledgment/reply from Qatar after 2 weeks (and following a reminder email), I am now sharing my experience - this is what i sent them and what i have had no response to:

I am presently a Gold Emirates frequent flyer. As Qatar have started a new route to Edinburgh I have been considering moving my business. However after recent flight experiences I have had with you I dont think I will. My reference number was *****.

Flight 1: QR1031 DWC to DOH Thursday 24 July. Unfortunately there was a problem with the aircraft and the flight was delayed. I appreciate these things happen but why were the passengers carted onto a bus and made to stand and wait for well over 30 minutes before being taken back into the terminal building? It was only when I demanded the driver open the bus door and was able to make my grievances known to ground staff that we were eventually allowed back in - there was no explanation for the delay and it took over an hour before any information was forthcoming. I was aware that I would definately miss my connection in Doha and requested information about how long I would need to wait etc to get onto an alternative flight. The only response was "you will find out in Doha - they will look after you there". I explained that this was not good enough as if there was to be a very lengthy delay I would rather not commence my journey. No one was able to assist.

When eventually arriving in Doha, as a first class passenger, I would have expected to be greeted personally by ground staff and advised of the situation. This did not happen and I had to make my own way to the transfer desk - not impressed.

The next issue was the new business class lounge where I would have to wait for several hours. Unfortunately there were no available seats - I can not believe that as a new airport, you have not provision adequate seating. Several other passengers were very unhappy with this situation. The staff did their best but to be fair they could not really assist. I ended up sitting for 3-4 hours at the departure gate rather than the crammed lounge. Hardly a premium experience.

Flight 2: QR1002, 1 August DOH to DXB
The boarding card advised me to arrive at the gate at 12.00 hours which I duly did. They started boarding first class passengers at 12.39am. We therefore had to sit at the boarding gate for approximately 40 minutes. The issue I have was, in the meantime, the entire economy section of the plan was boarded. Is it really Qatar Airways policy to board all economy customers BEFORE first class customers? The check-in lady in charge said that there was no bus available to transport us. This is totally unacceptable.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:36 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Really, really, really wrong airline.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:42 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Um, there is no "atar" in Qantas (yes, a lame variation on the "there is no 'U'" mantra. So sue me
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:56 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Yep, wrong airline. Oh and welcome to the Middle East, sounds like a normal day in any GCC country. Same thing could have happened at any Middle Eastern airline, or in fact with any business in Dubai/Abu Dhabi/Doha/Muscat/Bahrain etc etc. Probably why I'm quite happy not living in the GCC anymore...
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:31 am

Location: Work/Melbourne Victoria - Home/McKinney, TX (Dallas)
Programs: AA 7.8 MM EXP, QF P1, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium(Life), Hilton DIA, IHG RA, HZ PLAT
Smile Brought a smile...

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Really, really, really wrong airline.
A nice break from a tough day... enjoyed the chuckle... :-)^
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by freakstar
Hi, as i have had no acknowledgment/reply from Qatar after 2 weeks (and following a reminder email), I am now sharing my experience - this is what i sent them and what i have had no response to:
Oh, please, please, pleeeease tell us that you sent that Qantas! That would just be such a fitting end to your bedtime story.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:30 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
[mod hat] Moving to the right forum. [/mod hat]
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by freakstar
2 weeks? Er, you're not the only person writing to the airline you know. If you want stat fast, you should have written to the CEO.

I am presently a Gold Emirates frequent flyer. As Qatar have started a new route to Edinburgh I have been considering moving my business. However after recent flight experiences I have had with you I dont think I will. My reference number was *****.

Flight 1: QR1031 DWC to DOH Thursday 24 July. Unfortunately there was a problem with the aircraft and the flight was delayed. I appreciate these things happen but why were the passengers carted onto a bus and made to stand and wait for well over 30 minutes before being taken back into the terminal building? It was only when I demanded the driver open the bus door and was able to make my grievances known to ground staff that we were eventually allowed back in - there was no explanation for the delay and it took over an hour before any information was forthcoming. I was aware that I would definately miss my connection in Doha and requested information about how long I would need to wait etc to get onto an alternative flight. The only response was "you will find out in Doha - they will look after you there". I explained that this was not good enough as if there was to be a very lengthy delay I would rather not commence my journey. No one was able to assist.

When eventually arriving in Doha, as a first class passenger, I would have expected to be greeted personally by ground staff and advised of the situation. This did not happen and I had to make my own way to the transfer desk - not impressed.
Within the GCC countries, F is really not a big deal as you know that you're actually seated in a J class cabin. So why would you be treated as a F class when your onward flight is in J.

The next issue was the new business class lounge where I would have to wait for several hours. Unfortunately there were no available seats - I can not believe that as a new airport, you have not provision adequate seating. Several other passengers were very unhappy with this situation. The staff did their best but to be fair they could not really assist. I ended up sitting for 3-4 hours at the departure gate rather than the crammed lounge. Hardly a premium experience.

Flight 2: QR1002, 1 August DOH to DXB
The boarding card advised me to arrive at the gate at 12.00 hours which I duly did. They started boarding first class passengers at 12.39am. We therefore had to sit at the boarding gate for approximately 40 minutes. The issue I have was, in the meantime, the entire economy section of the plan was boarded. Is it really Qatar Airways policy to board all economy customers BEFORE first class customers? The check-in lady in charge said that there was no bus available to transport us. This is totally unacceptable.
You may request that you want to board first.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
[mod hat] Moving to the right forum. [/mod hat]
Killjoy
Old Aug 16, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: OWS, QR Gold, Kris, and a few others
Originally Posted by Yachtman
Yep, wrong airline. Oh and welcome to the Middle East, sounds like a normal day in any GCC country. Same thing could have happened at any Middle Eastern airline, or in fact with any business in Dubai/Abu Dhabi/Doha/Muscat/Bahrain etc etc. Probably why I'm quite happy not living in the GCC anymore...
So crap customer service is a cultural issue in the region?
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Grogg
Whether cultural or not, I can't think of any airline in that region with good customer service indeed...
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by Grogg
well, yes... absent customer service and no care or desire to rectify it actually.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: OWS, QR Gold, Kris, and a few others
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
well, yes... absent customer service and no care or desire to rectify it actually.
Is this sustainable, or is this industry not really a business in these countries?
Old Aug 16, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG

Quite funny to read people's views on poor customer service in the Middle East. Have any of you tried BA or Qantas lately? Customer service alot worse there. I much prefer the "poor" customer service in the Middle East to non existent service elsewhere
Old Aug 16, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: QR Gold, EK, Accor, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold VIP, Delta
Originally Posted by Havoc10G
Quite funny to read people's views on poor customer service in the Middle East.
But it isnt limited just to the air carriers of the region. After living there for several years I can give you first hand knowledge that it is pretty much the norm for many businesses.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.