Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Query Regarding J Class Seating

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
Query Regarding J Class Seating

Hi All,

Considering flying QR over next summer in J from HKG-LHR. As I've just returned back from the UK on BA, who were utterly atrocious. (The only reason I still fly with them is for the ease of acquiring Sapphire )

After a few quick searches on QR's site I discovered that their prices were exceptionally competitive with CX's; and for almost double the TP's too. Although I was concerned about the consistency of the J Hard product.

- Would the A332 from HKG through to DOH be a flat bed? Or would I find myself sloping downwards?

- Also, with the intention of flying on the Dreamliner back home to LHR, is there a nearby Airport hotel that one could recommend? Has anyone done this journey before and recommend two certain flights? (Preferably the latter with the new J?)

The Premium Terminal looks absolutely phenomenal and I'm sure the soft product will be up to scratch with that of CX's, if not exceeding such standards.

Thanks in Advance,
Cathay1101
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Cathay1101
The Premium Terminal looks absolutely phenomenal
The Premium Terminal is a thing of the past; all operations have now moved to the new Hamad International Airport

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...unges-hia.html
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:33 am

I am a QR/CX Gold, and I travel on LHR-HKG at least twice a quarter, just past through DOH on the 8th July, I'm avoiding QR at the moment as the premium terminal is no longer in used, and the new airport lounges are not ready yet.

I would avoid CX640/645 & QR A332 too as it is a regional J seat, it seem QR has pulled the 777 from HKG and being used on PEK, the seat on the A332 on DOH-HKG doesn't lie flat at all, so you would be sloping downwards indeed. If you can, book yourself onto 777 or 787.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:40 am

Regarding the A330, there are some have been refurbished with 777 style full flat seating with new IFE and connectivity. There are 6 of them and soon to be 7, they tend to fly to HKG regularly but you can still get the old angled flat J-seat too.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Hi. There is a whole thread about Qr fleet guide.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ays-fleet.html

And Qatar Airways operated flights to Hong Kong are operated with the refurbished A332 with fully flat horizontal beds in J class similar to the 777.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by scheung35419
I am a QR/CX Gold, and I travel on LHR-HKG at least twice a quarter, just past through DOH on the 8th July, I'm avoiding QR at the moment as the premium terminal is no longer in used, and the new airport lounges are not ready yet.

I would avoid CX640/645 & QR A332 too as it is a regional J seat, it seem QR has pulled the 777 from HKG and being used on PEK, the seat on the A332 on DOH-HKG doesn't lie flat at all, so you would be sloping downwards indeed. If you can, book yourself onto 777 or 787.

The lounges are already operational and they are much better and bigger than the Premium Terminal.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Cathay1101,

I'm also a HKG-based BAEC member doing HKG-LHR-HKG twice a year or so. My QR strategy which is to book J out of BKK and use CX or RJ to hop over there for for the flight. You are guaranteed 777 full flat beds on the QR flights out of BKK and the saving compared to ex-HKG tickets more than pays for the positioning flight. The only problem is that the BKK-DOH sector is a little bit too short to eat and then get a good sleep.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: QF
The A380 DOH-LHR is still scheduled for October.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus (PLATINUM); Qatar Privilege Club (PLATINUM)
Originally Posted by QatarA340
The lounges are already operational and they are much better and bigger than the Premium Terminal.
Ooh so is a mausoleum Ice cold in character and ambiance.
For breakfast one guy stands and makes individual sandwiches, while people line up. And be warned if someone in the line wants olives, you will be there for up to 40 minutes standing -- waiting.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by OnePassenger
For breakfast one guy stands and makes individual sandwiches, while people line up. And be warned if someone in the line wants olives, you will be there for up to 40 minutes standing -- waiting.
Opinion is subjective. I happen to love the ambiance of it--and so do most of the people using the lounge. ; Relating it to a building housing dead people is certainly a strange way to describing the lounge.

However, I would agree that there should be more staff at the restaurant.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by OnePassenger
Originally Posted by QatarA340
Opinion is subjective. I happen to love the ambiance of it--and so do most of the people using the lounge. ; Relating it to a building housing dead people is certainly a strange way to describing the lounge.

However, I would agree that there should be more staff at the restaurant.
De gustibus non est disputandum Ladies & Gentleman

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.