Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Is QR using the airside transit hotel for STPC/transits >8 hrs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2014, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam

Is QR using the airside transit hotel, rather than the Oryx Rotana or Movenpick for STPC/transits >8 hrs?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:07 am

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
It's a simple answer - yes/no/maybe/possibly/later/.......
When I went through HIA July 14, the Airside Hotel was running with 10 rooms. The receptionist claims that the hotel was going to be 100 rooms, at the completion of construction.
Other FT's have stated that STPC still go to the Doha hotels - well, for now anyways.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:39 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Is QR using the airside transit hotel, rather than the Oryx Rotana or Movenpick for STPC/transits >8 hrs?
As of now, no. And I seriously doubt that they will start using the airside hotel. The STPC also includes a visa usually, which I guess should be part of the experience especially if your stopover is during daytime.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the updates all. Was thinking that for the shorter duration STPC, QR may find it cheaper/easier just to keep pax airside, thereby eliminating the need to process visas, transport, etc. Helps ensure pax make their connecting flights!
Old Aug 5, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Thanks for the updates all. Was thinking that for the shorter duration STPC, QR may find it cheaper/easier just to keep pax airside, thereby eliminating the need to process visas, transport, etc. Helps ensure pax make their connecting flights!
you are expecting logic from a ME airline?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I have never heard of any airline anywhere using airside hotels for STPC guests.

And rightly so, I think. Allow the airside hotel to be used by those independent travellers that need that convenience.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I have never heard of any airline anywhere using airside hotels for STPC guests.

And rightly so, I think. Allow the airside hotel to be used by those independent travellers that need that convenience.
I was racking my brain as well and can't think of a single carrier that uses one: CMB, SIN, ICN, PVG, PEK, DEL, ZRH, ...

It surprises me, however, that at the big new MidEast terminals that are owned by the same governments/royal families that own the airlines, that they elected not to develop even larger hotels for the short-stay STPC (ie, 6~10 hours).

I totally agree with your comment about not filling the already limited number of airside rooms. Even mighty Changi consistently underestimates the demand for airside accommodations.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It surprises me, however, that at the big new MidEast terminals that are owned by the same governments/royal families that own the airlines, that they elected not to develop even larger hotels for the short-stay STPC (ie, 6~10 hours).
That's basically a simple real estate cost calculation. Airport space is at a premium. Everything that can be located elsewhere, where real estates costs are bound to be significantly cheaper is best kept off site. The time spent getting there does not affect the airline, and the transportation costs are negligible for them compared to the overall real estate savings.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
I was racking my brain as well and can't think of a single carrier that uses one: CMB, SIN, ICN, PVG, PEK, DEL, ZRH, ...
A few years ago, when I flew UA and *A regularly, I would buy CGK (SQ)- overnight- NRT(UA), XXX (UA). I would buy the ticket from UA, issued by their CGK office. They would always STPC me in SIN at the airside hotel, as SQ didn't have an early flight to connect to the UA morning flight at SIN.

I'm not sure the office still exists in CGK, and not sure that they do it any longer, as I long ago gave up on UA.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:40 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Gold, Singapore air Kris flyer,Emirates Silver, Etihad Gold
Just got STPC confirmation for my flight on October 8 booking class I Its Oryx Rotana Hotel.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: Aegean Gold, United Mileage Plus Silver, Privilege Club Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite (LTP)
Originally Posted by tokyolyon
Just got STPC confirmation for my flight on October 8 booking class I Its Oryx Rotana Hotel.
Out of curiosity how did you pre-arrange the Oryx Rotana Hotel?
I previously got the SPTC confirmed but the hotel was not specified on the PDF confirmation. I ended up in the Horizon Manor Hotel, which was not great at all and judging by the recent comments on tripadvisor, the quality has not improved since then. It looks like Qatar Airways is still using this hotel.

Did you contact them and specifically ask for the Oryx Rotana?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Gold, Singapore air Kris flyer,Emirates Silver, Etihad Gold
Originally Posted by Zurich35
Out of curiosity how did you pre-arrange the Oryx Rotana Hotel?
I previously got the SPTC confirmed but the hotel was not specified on the PDF confirmation. I ended up in the Horizon Manor Hotel, which was not great at all and judging by the recent comments on tripadvisor, the quality has not improved since then. It looks like Qatar Airways is still using this hotel.

Did you contact them and specifically ask for the Oryx Rotana?
I think that you cannot ask QR to book you a specific hotel for STPC. Usually QR uses either Oryx Rotana (which is QR preferred hotel in Doha) or Mövenpick Tower & Suites for First and Business class passengers. Last month they booked me in Mövenpick Tower & Suites. I was originally booked in Oryx Rotana but due to changing my return date at last moment, they booked me in Mövenpick as Oryx Rotana was fully booked.
I didn’t do anything apart from asking my travel agent to issue my ticket as soon as possible (he was planning to issue it on September 26, my departure is on the 2nd of October) and then send an STPC request to QR. I got my ticket together with STPC confirmation on the same day. How can you get a confirmation without hotel name? Really strange. It’s the first time for me to hear about the hotel you ended up in. were you traveling in Business class?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Do you think the STPC is worth it in a 8.30 hour stopover? I mean, from those 8.30 hours.. how many hours will I be able to sleep? (it's an overnight stopover)
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:44 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by tuchop
Do you think the STPC is worth it in a 8.30 hour stopover? I mean, from those 8.30 hours.. how many hours will I be able to sleep? (it's an overnight stopover)
Well that depends on your body clock of course. For example, i could still sleep another hour, but thanks to jetlag i woke up after 4.5 hours of sleep. Total transit time is 9.5 hours though. The fact that i can shower in absolute privacy though is well worth it for me. Also you get a bit of meal allowance if you want to eat
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Originally Posted by zehbra
Well that depends on your body clock of course. For example, i could still sleep another hour, but thanks to jetlag i woke up after 4.5 hours of sleep. Total transit time is 9.5 hours though. The fact that i can shower in absolute privacy though is well worth it for me. Also you get a bit of meal allowance if you want to eat
My incoming flight is QR772 arrives at 23:00.. outbound flight is QR810, departs at 7.30. I'll be flying Business class, so I can also use the Al Mourjan lounge.. Leaving HIA to the hotel, sleeping three hours and then having an hour or two to enjoy the lounge would be awesome. Not sure if my time is enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.