Search

Waitlist on Doha>Houston

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, CCR, Star Alliance Gold
Waitlist on Doha>Houston

Hi all

I'm have a trip booked from London to Manila via Doha, then I need to go to Houston before returning home. Slight snag us that in the 4th August (Monday) I am waitlisted in economy as Business is full.

I'm Oneworld emerald - does anyone know whether this status counts for anything in trying to get a business seat? I don't really want to leave it to Lady Luck. I remember something with BA that you get guaranteed reservations or something so was wondering if this was the case on Qatar

Thanks in advance for any tips anyone has
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by SurbitonFlyer
Hi all

I'm have a trip booked from London to Manila via Doha, then I need to go to Houston before returning home. Slight snag us that in the 4th August (Monday) I am waitlisted in economy as Business is full.

I'm Oneworld emerald - does anyone know whether this status counts for anything in trying to get a business seat? I don't really want to leave it to Lady Luck. I remember something with BA that you get guaranteed reservations or something so was wondering if this was the case on Qatar

Thanks in advance for any tips anyone has
Can't help with the QR query, but if I'm not mistaken, on BA, you only get a guaranteed reservation (1) for BA Gold only (not for Oneworld partners), (2) in economy class only not business (3) in full fare (Y) only. Presumably if QR offered a reservation guarantee benefit and extended it to OW emerald, you would be confirmed and not waitlisted. That said, typically for waitlist priority, fare and status do matter but considering that airlines overbook already, if they could not offer you a confirmed reservation, I would start thinking of a plan B in case.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
QR offers (or offered until quite recently) a guaranteed seat in Y for Gold members.

I doubt that status will get you to the head of the wait list queue for J. It is a jolly long way to DOH and if you have the budget for J I would consider booking another carrier who is currently posting J availability.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, luckily the Waitlist already came through which was quite useful as plan B which I had as backup wasn't classic as it involved transferring at LAX
Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: Mileage Plus (PLATINUM); Qatar Privilege Club (PLATINUM)
QR PC - No 'privileges,' really!

Glad you wailist came through. Because this is the worst airline for any perks as a Privilege Club member, beyond the ones stated in your membership documents. No wait list priority, or for that matter priority anything. I fly Qatar only for their amazing in-flight service. If that goes. I go!
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:53 am
Original Poster

I've only flown them once - OnePassenger and I also noticed that there weren't a lot of perks/incitives as a member of the loyalty scheme - however like you said - I do remember their service and decor on the flight hence keen to use them again. Normally for trips East I use Cathay (gave up on BA a long time ago) but Qatar are a very nice change.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Lifetime Bonvoy Platinum, HHonors Gold , TK Gold, MH Plat, QR Plat
Originally Posted by SurbitonFlyer
I've only flown them once - OnePassenger and I also noticed that there weren't a lot of perks/incitives as a member of the loyalty scheme - however like you said - I do remember their service and decor on the flight hence keen to use them again. Normally for trips East I use Cathay (gave up on BA a long time ago) but Qatar are a very nice change.
+1
This is my normal route, enjoy the mattress pad- makes the flight much more comfy! It's normally very full in both J and Y.

And yes, QR has very lousy Elite benefits- even on board all J class passengers are treated the same- Unlike some airlines who make an effort to request a meal choice from their top tier first. It's just not QR style...which can be a good or bad thing. Of course there's normally plenty of food on board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.