Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1 Hour Transfer At DOH

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

1 Hour Transfer At DOH

I'm just looking at booking flights LHR - SGN via DOH for October this year and my options are either a 1hr 10mins or a 5hr+ transfer. I'd prefer the shorter one but I've not been through the new Hamad airport yet and I'm not sure if 1 Hr 10 mins will be enough to transfer. Both sectors will be on Qatar metal.

Anyone with experience of the new airport's handling of transfers have any advice?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
QR is fine at handling transfers. They'll have someone herd you to your gate. Yes, I mean herd in the bad way, but it's still fine, seeing that everyone's in such a hurry and boarding your flight is more important than manners on ground. Hope your baggage makes it through though. It usually does, but there's always the odd chance that it doesn't. CX certainly didn't get my luggage through on a 45 min connection at HKG. DOH should though - who knows how they punish baggage handlers who don't deliver... (shudders)
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by lazyloki

I'm just looking at booking flights LHR - SGN via DOH for October this year and my options are either a 1hr 10mins or a 5hr+ transfer. I'd prefer the shorter one but I've not been through the new Hamad airport yet and I'm not sure if 1 Hr 10 mins will be enough to transfer. Both sectors will be on Qatar metal.
If it wasn't doable it wouldn't be available for sale on QR's website (I assume you're referring to QR004/QR964). This may also reassure you:

http://support.qatarairways.com/entr...ecting-flight-

At the risk of telling you something you may already be aware of, don't be seduced by the fact that QR004 is shown as being operated by an A388. I've fallen for that one already - twice.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys, I'll go ahead with the 1hr10mins connection.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Even if you do miss your connection they will just put you on the next one anyway without any drama - so you may as well go with the shorter connection
Old Jul 20, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: QR Gold
thanks for the feedback - this helps me as i have a 45min connection from MAN to CRK
Old Jul 20, 2014, 2:46 pm

~1 hr connections are QR's bread and butter. It's not like your connection is special. They have to make most of them work or they can't operate the airline.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Connecting from QR16 to QR816 (both sectors J, 60 minutes connection), would this be an issue for an elderly gentleman travelling in J on both sectors? Mobility is not a major issue but jogging/running between gates is not on the cards.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:33 am

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by midlevels
Connecting from QR16 to QR816 (both sectors J, 60 minutes connection), would this be an issue for an elderly gentleman travelling in J on both sectors? Mobility is not a major issue but jogging/running between gates is not on the cards.
Should be just fine.

-A
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
I have a 45 minute connection on Saturday so will let you know how that goes...
Old Sep 27, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
Update: my inbound flight to HIA arrived 45 minutes late so I was shifted to the next flight.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by To Eat.To Drink
Update: my inbound flight to HIA arrived 45 minutes late so I was shifted to the next flight.
Well at least you presumably got to experience the new Al Mourjan lounge - silver linings and all that...
Old Sep 28, 2014, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by purple1addict
Well at least you presumably got to experience the new Al Mourjan lounge - silver linings and all that...
Nope, straight on to boarding QR3! Downside was that the original QR7 flight went from 787 to 777 and I then found myself on a 330 middle seat in J. I had a couple of hours in the lounge on the way out though. It was very quiet, very big but a little underwhelming. No Diet Coke, far end of the lounge smelt of smoke so I had to move (I was told the smoking room door was broken), it was generally quite warm, poor selection of magazines, food good, wine selection very good (enjoyed the Ch. Haut Smith...). No charging points by the big sofa seats, only the pod seats with iPads.

I was also a bit disappointed with the hard product on board. LHR-HIA-GOI, BOM-HIA-LHR, no flat seats and no pyjamas, despite arriving 2am in India and departing 4am. On QR3 I would say 80% of the passengers were sleeping (or trying to), the lights are dimmed, yet this is not considered a flight worthy of PJs.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 3:29 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Adding my experience. Had a 50 min connection, from CDG connecting to JNB in J.
15 minute delay got that connection to be a bit tight. They had someone waiting for me at the jetbridge, who basically walked me to security check and got me in front of the queue, then back to JNB flight (which was actually departing form the gate next to my inbound).

It was a brisk walk but worked fine. hope I'll get to see the lounge on the way back.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, CCR, Star Alliance Gold
In the lounge at the moment waiting for the Manila flight having just got in from London. One important note to add to those with a tight connection, if you are travelling in First or Business (I don't think status comes into play) when you enter transfer security there is a fast track which isn't really signposted clearly but it is right in the middle. I just spotted it today and it probably saved me 30 mins and it was extremely busy. Took just a few minutes to go through

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.