Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Schwann
PLEASE NOTE: The below information is largely out of date as of 2023 and needs to be updated:

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges. The Departure Lounges at HIA include :

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge - QR and OW First Class Passengers only
Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge - QR and OW First and Business Class Passengers only
HIA First Class Lounge
HIA Business Class Lounge
Oryx Lounge
Al Maha lounge

Additionally, there is an arrivals lounge for those exiting the airport (either very long connection or if Doha is their final destination)

For information on which lounge to use, when travelling with QR, at other airports, please see here.

Which Departure Lounge can I use?

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge - The Lounge access is only for Qatar Airways and Oneworld First Class passengers and is located on Level 3 of the airport. Arriving on a longhaul Qatar First class qualifies for lounge access even if connecting flight is not in F. Reports on the Lounge, can be found here(external link) and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here (external). Wiki for Al Safwa is here.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card for a flight departing in F or a boarding card for an incoming longhaul F flight. Op-ups and guests are not admitted.

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge - The Lounge access is only for Qatar Airways and Oneworld First and Business Class passengers and is located on Level 3 of the airport. Information and photographs can be found here - here. A thread has recently been started specific to Al Mourjan - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ss-lounge.html. Existing posts in this thread about Al Mourjan will be moved there as time permits.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card for a flight departing in J or a boarding card for an incoming longhaul J flight.

HIA First Class Lounge - The First Class Lounge is located on Concourse A, Level 2 at the airport and offers facilities which include complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, shower facilities, conference rooms, smoking rooms, family rooms, a business centre and a nursery. First or Business class ticketed passengers as well as QR Privilege Club Platinum and Oneworld alliance Emerald members may access this facility.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card showing OWE status for your departing flight.

HIA Business Class Lounge - This lounge, that caters for First or Business class ticketed passengers as well as QR Privilege Club, Platinum Gold and Silver members and oneworld alliance Emerald and Sapphire members, is located on Concourse A, Level 2 at the airport, and offers facilities which include complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, shower facilities, conference rooms, smoking rooms, family rooms, a business centre and a nursery.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card showing OWS status for your departing flight.

Oryx Lounge - May be used only by eligible customers when travelling on: British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Royal Jordanian, SriLankan Airlines. Economy passengers will be able to gain access to the lounge for a fee of QAR 200 (USD 55).

Al Maha Lounge - Available to priority pass members. Located opposite the entrance to the Oryx Lounge.

Arrivals Lounge - There are essentially 2 - the first one is prior to immigration and has some snacks, drinks, and a seating area, as well as a dedicated immigration booth. The second (and main) one is just outside customs to the left, near the W.H. Smith store. This one has snacks, drinks, a menu to order from, showers, etc. Both arrivals lounges are for QR J passengers only, oneworld status alone will not get you into the lounge.

Opening Times
QR lounges are open 24 hours/day and serve no alcoholic beverages during Ramadan (27 May-25 June 2017 and 16 May-14 June 2018).

Luggage facilites
There are luggage boxes for hand luggage in Al Safwa, Al Mourjan, First Class and Business Class lounges.

Transit Options
Alternatives for long transits:
Print Wikipost

QR Lounges at HIA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by kyushuman
As a paid J pax on CX I can say that I was welcomed into the QR lounge last night without issue. I do think being a CX Y with a OW Sapphiremight have posed a problem, but I can safely assure if you have a CX J ticket you'll be allowed in.
You're right. I edited my post above.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:17 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
To update my post from Sunday:

1) Senior staff have been given a tour of the Al Sawfa. However, there is still no confirmed opening date.

2) There are still construction works going on in the Al Safwa, but from what the staff have seen, it is supposedly spectacular.

3) Training has not commenced within the Al Safwa, but has commenced off-site.

4) The Al Mourjan is expected to be far quieter for the next month, due to Ramadan. The lounge this evening, because it is the first night, is the quietest I've ever seen it...although it is still fairly busy.

5) I was advised that NO alcohol will be served at all in the Al Mourjan during the month of Ramadan.

6) On a side note, and might be helpful for others, there is a pharmacy and clinic at HIA. However, the non-emergency Ambulance service team are located 2 minutes from the Al Mourjan. If you are feeling unwell, or simply need to have a bandage re-dressed (as I needed), they will come up and do it. Very easy, and a really helpful service to offer.

msm2000uk - to the best of your knowledge, what would be your guess as to a realistic time for the Al Safwa lounge to open? Is the assumption that it may be open by the end of July/August too optimistic?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 11:53 pm

1) Senior staff have been given a tour of the Al Sawfa. However, there is still no confirmed opening date.

2) There are still construction works going on in the Al Safwa, but from what the staff have seen, it is supposedly spectacular.

3) Training has not commenced within the Al Safwa, but has commenced off-site.
Just like the EY F lounge, I have stopped waiting and instead chose to be pleasantly surprised when it eventually opens - sometime in the next 3 years hopefully
5) I was advised that NO alcohol will be served at all in the Al Mourjan during the month of Ramadan.
No Krug updates for a whole month!! What else can we possibly talk about on this thread from now on?!
Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:21 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by HB7
msm2000uk - to the best of your knowledge, what would be your guess as to a realistic time for the Al Safwa lounge to open? Is the assumption that it may be open by the end of July/August too optimistic?
I do not think the Al Safwa will open in July (with one caveat below). What I do think could happen though, is that the Al Safwa will open at the same time as the OW First and the OW Business lounges once they have finished the maintenance works within the latter two.

The caveat I would mention, is that there is a chance the Emir will open the Al Safwa to coincide with the end of Ramadan. It would make a nice PR story, and I could see it happening.

I wont be back until early August, so I'm sure others will be able to update before I'm next at HIA.

Originally Posted by stargold
Just like the EY F lounge, I have stopped waiting and instead chose to be pleasantly surprised when it eventually opens - sometime in the next 3 years hopefully

No Krug updates for a whole month!! What else can we possibly talk about on this thread from now on?!
The WHO are preparing a vaccination for those who will be suffering from the NCA virus. The NCA virus is shown to specifically target those who have purchased inexpensive tickets on QR, and then come onto FT to moan about the lounge.

One hopes that the NCA virus will not lurk for too long, but I wish godspeed and strength to anyone who suffers from the No-Champagne-Ahhh virus this month.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:39 am

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
If Vegas had a betting line on this (and they probably should) I would put my money on Safwa opening toward the end of Ramadan. Mourjan opened at exactly that time last year. It lets them start out at a relatively quiet time when they don't have to deal with serving alcohol. And as was said, it adds to the PR to combine it with a special occasion.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Rivarix
I think you're mistaken QR arrival lounge with Al Maha arrival processing lounge? The one you're describing sounds like Al Maha 'lounge' which is essentially a waiting area pre-immigration. QR arrival lounge is outside (landside) after customs, make a left turn and take an elevator one floor up. It is on the second floor (first floor brit speak) overlooking the arrival and meet and greet area.
Can anyone tell us more about what is in the "real" arrivals lounge? Showers etc?

Thanks, J

edited to add: there's some more detail in this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ls-lounge.html

Last edited by jdjd; Jun 18, 2015 at 5:25 am Reason: added a link to another thread
Old Jun 18, 2015, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by arabiamark
If Vegas had a betting line on this (and they probably should) I would put my money on Safwa opening toward the end of Ramadan. Mourjan opened at exactly that time last year. It lets them start out at a relatively quiet time when they don't have to deal with serving alcohol. And as was said, it adds to the PR to combine it with a special occasion.
Serving alcohol is not even a consideration in the scheme of things.. I suppose all that matters is the Nod from HE.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP

I'm curious - where is al safwa located/where's the entrance? Is it on the 3rd floor like al mourjan?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 1:39 am

Programs: BA GOLD, SPG Platinum
I was in al mourjan lounge last week and I saw a guy getting a glass of Krug, I almost pulled out my phone and took a picture to post it on this thread

I also should have gone to the man holding the glass and asking him what his thoughts were on the champagne and if he was going to comment on the FT thread?

Come to think of it... I really regret not doing that.

Next time for sure....
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Rivarix
I'm curious - where is al safwa located/where's the entrance? Is it on the 3rd floor like al mourjan?
It is on the opposite side of the main concourse from Al Mourjan, above the B gate security.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by hmansouri
I was in al mourjan lounge last week and I saw a guy getting a glass of Krug, I almost pulled out my phone and took a picture to post it on this thread

I also should have gone to the man holding the glass and asking him what his thoughts were on the champagne and if he was going to comment on the FT thread?

Next time for sure....
How do you know he isn't one of the posters on this thread who reported on Krug?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 4:51 pm
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+

Next time for sure....
A picture like that

Old Jun 20, 2015, 5:19 pm

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the Krug forum?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA

Next time for sure....
If it was late night on June 15th then it was me. It paired nice,y with the lamb chops off the menu 🙊
Old Jun 22, 2015, 5:51 am

Programs: QR Gold, Skyteam Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Just back from Al Mourjan. Confirm that no alc during Ramadan and no more Krug in Al Mourjan after opening Al Safwa. No confirmed opening date of latter. However, it will have the same size as Al Mourjan and include exhibition of selected pieces of art.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.