Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Schwann
PLEASE NOTE: The below information is largely out of date as of 2023 and needs to be updated:

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges. The Departure Lounges at HIA include :

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge - QR and OW First Class Passengers only
Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge - QR and OW First and Business Class Passengers only
HIA First Class Lounge
HIA Business Class Lounge
Oryx Lounge
Al Maha lounge

Additionally, there is an arrivals lounge for those exiting the airport (either very long connection or if Doha is their final destination)

For information on which lounge to use, when travelling with QR, at other airports, please see here.

Which Departure Lounge can I use?

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge - The Lounge access is only for Qatar Airways and Oneworld First Class passengers and is located on Level 3 of the airport. Arriving on a longhaul Qatar First class qualifies for lounge access even if connecting flight is not in F. Reports on the Lounge, can be found here(external link) and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here (external). Wiki for Al Safwa is here.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card for a flight departing in F or a boarding card for an incoming longhaul F flight. Op-ups and guests are not admitted.

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge - The Lounge access is only for Qatar Airways and Oneworld First and Business Class passengers and is located on Level 3 of the airport. Information and photographs can be found here - here. A thread has recently been started specific to Al Mourjan - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ss-lounge.html. Existing posts in this thread about Al Mourjan will be moved there as time permits.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card for a flight departing in J or a boarding card for an incoming longhaul J flight.

HIA First Class Lounge - The First Class Lounge is located on Concourse A, Level 2 at the airport and offers facilities which include complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, shower facilities, conference rooms, smoking rooms, family rooms, a business centre and a nursery. First or Business class ticketed passengers as well as QR Privilege Club Platinum and Oneworld alliance Emerald members may access this facility.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card showing OWE status for your departing flight.

HIA Business Class Lounge - This lounge, that caters for First or Business class ticketed passengers as well as QR Privilege Club, Platinum Gold and Silver members and oneworld alliance Emerald and Sapphire members, is located on Concourse A, Level 2 at the airport, and offers facilities which include complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, shower facilities, conference rooms, smoking rooms, family rooms, a business centre and a nursery.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card showing OWS status for your departing flight.

Oryx Lounge - May be used only by eligible customers when travelling on: British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Royal Jordanian, SriLankan Airlines. Economy passengers will be able to gain access to the lounge for a fee of QAR 200 (USD 55).

Al Maha Lounge - Available to priority pass members. Located opposite the entrance to the Oryx Lounge.

Arrivals Lounge - There are essentially 2 - the first one is prior to immigration and has some snacks, drinks, and a seating area, as well as a dedicated immigration booth. The second (and main) one is just outside customs to the left, near the W.H. Smith store. This one has snacks, drinks, a menu to order from, showers, etc. Both arrivals lounges are for QR J passengers only, oneworld status alone will not get you into the lounge.

Opening Times
QR lounges are open 24 hours/day and serve no alcoholic beverages during Ramadan (27 May-25 June 2017 and 16 May-14 June 2018).

Luggage facilites
There are luggage boxes for hand luggage in Al Safwa, Al Mourjan, First Class and Business Class lounges.

Transit Options
Alternatives for long transits:
Print Wikipost

QR Lounges at HIA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2015, 5:29 am

There's obviously no guarantee that it'll stay, but I don't think the Krug will go away once Al Safwa opens (unless someone's heard the news for 100% that it'll go?)

Reason? They had it at the J premium terminal in the old Doha airport, with VCP La Grande Dame in F.

So once Al Safwa opens and all the Y flying elites are sent to the other lounges, the crowding issue will automatically fix itself at Al Mourjan and chances are, Krug will probably stay.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Originally Posted by CharlotteC
Hi,

Do you know when the kitchen will be sorted - I am through Doha on 5 March, returning via Doha on 13th March. Also does this mean that the famous Krug serving bar will also be closed? Thank you.
Like all of the other times with QR, the question "When will X be ready/open?" can never get a clear answer.

When I asked about the kitchen the guy told me a week or two weeks. But I a minute earlier I had overheard the same guy tell another guest "just one week."

It's like for Al Safwa Lounge. We've heard of people saying end of February or March. A few weeks ago one of the bartenders told me end of 2015. For me, the best answer of all was the one who shrugged and said "not for some while."
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, IHG Gold, Phyllis Court Junior Member
Originally Posted by mitwg
So once Al Safwa opens and all the Y flying elites are sent to the other lounges, the crowding issue will automatically fix itself at Al Mourjan and chances are, Krug will probably stay.
When you say the other lounges, do you mean the Oryx lounge? It would be really depressing for Oneworld elites to be lumped in with fee-paying guests there. If I understand correctly, the old airport had dedicated first and business class lounges for elites.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:28 am

For the people curious about what other lounges are in store, the following are some of what is in progress:

- Al-Safwa First Class Lounge.

- 2 Lounges (1 First and 1 Business) at the North Node to serve the farthest C-gates, as well as the D and E gates. I believe these will be a while away. The North Node will have more duty free, more food options and an additional 100 rooms for the airport hotel.

- VIP lounge, this one is apparently complete already.

Currently the First class passengers, the VIP passengers and the ones using the farthest C, D and E gates all use Al-Mourjan, so once all these open it should reduce the load significantly on Al-Mourjan.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by templar42
When you say the other lounges, do you mean the Oryx lounge? It would be really depressing for Oneworld elites to be lumped in with fee-paying guests there. If I understand correctly, the old airport had dedicated first and business class lounges for elites.
No it didn't, non-F/C elites went to the Oryx Lounge at the old airport

And there was a separate Silver lounge

It was quite bleak.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:17 am

Not familiar with DOH lounges so please clarify.

I thought Al-Mourjan only serves true J (and for now F) passengers on QR and partners like CX and that eites go to other lounges like Oryx? Or can elites still go Al-Mourjan, and if so when is this going to change?

Thank you.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:28 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Just back from trip. Al-mourjan is open to biz and first and one world sapphire upwards regardless of class well at least that's we were told

We asked at al-Mourjan about using oryx lounge. They were not sure and told us to go ask. We did and were told it is not one world lounge do we would need to pay

To be honest I am not 100% sure the staff know the differences in the lounges
Old Feb 22, 2015, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Not familiar with DOH lounges so please clarify.

I thought Al-Mourjan only serves true J (and for now F) passengers on QR and partners like CX and that eites go to other lounges like Oryx? Or can elites still go Al-Mourjan, and if so when is this going to change?

Thank you.
The official rule is for Y flying OW elites to be sent to the Oryx lounges (J and F sections for OWS and OWE respectively) with Al Mourjan and Al Safwa being the dedicated J and F lounges respectively for OW premium passengers (including CX for instance).

But Hamad airport in itself is like a 3/4 finished product so the Al Safwa isn't open along with a few other spaces, thus it seems like everyone above OWS is being directed to Al Mourjan in the meantime.

It is perceived that when the other facilities are fully operational, the rules will revert to the normal QR rules which is to segregate the premium passengers from the Y flying elites (just like the old Doha or the current LHR arrangement).

When will it happen or whether this will happen? Nobody will know for sure.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Originally Posted by N1Rotate

- 2 Lounges (1 First and 1 Business) at the North Node to serve the farthest C-gates, as well as the D and E gates. I believe these will be a while away. The North Node will have more duty free, more food options and an additional 100 rooms for the airport hotel.
I took a walk down this way a couple of days ago during my long layover. D and E concourses are completely closed off still, except for some bus gates on the lower level. Even one or two of the C gates near here still aren't operational. From what I could see, D and E are still quite a ways off from opening. I couldn't see that much construction at all has gone on at these North Node lounges. So when Al Safwa at last opens we can look forward to another game of "When will the lounge finally open" for the North Node.

An amazing lot of this airport is still unopened as it nears the 1-year anniversary of opening.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:28 pm

arabiamark,

All the C gates are operational. Currently D20 to D24 and E20 to E24 (10 bus gates) are operational too.

As for D1 to D4 and E1 to E4 (8 bridge gates), even though they are closed off they are pretty much done, if you peek through you will see everything is in place and even the screens at the boarding gates are switched on.

I don't know what the hold off is, it could be contract issues or awaiting civil defence clearances (there is a huge backlog for that in Qatar right now). Once this areas is opened, the automated people mover train will start running inside the terminal.

You are right that the lounges there are a long way off, I was just pointing out what was on the way.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by N1Rotate
arabiamark,

All the C gates are operational. Currently D20 to D24 and E20 to E24 (10 bus gates) are operational too.

As for D1 to D4 and E1 to E4 (8 bridge gates), even though they are closed off they are pretty much done, if you peek through you will see everything is in place and even the screens at the boarding gates are switched on.

I don't know what the hold off is, it could be contract issues or awaiting civil defence clearances (there is a huge backlog for that in Qatar right now). Once this areas is opened, the automated people mover train will start running inside the terminal.

You are right that the lounges there are a long way off, I was just pointing out what was on the way.
You're right, it could be some administrative thing that's holding things up. But more likely it's awaiting a final ok from Mr. You Know Who. And if he finds one obscure detail he doesn't like everything gets held up for weeks or months, like it has for lounges, A350s and the airport itself.

And there is at least one C gate not operational. I saw it with my own eyes with the gate sign C## (can't remember the number) all blocked off and seats still covered by plastic. I thought I saw a gate on the opposite side like that also but I didn't check so closely. It could be that they're operational for arrivals but not departures.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:53 am

arabiamark,

Not that it matters anyways but If you check the departure boards on the HIA website you will see all the C gates are used. Some examples from today

C1 - QR007
C2 - QR1369
C3 - QR832
C4 - QR650
C5 - QR721
C6 - QR954
C7 - QR733
C8 - QR771
C9 - QR701
C10 - QR713
C11 - QR707
C12 - QR777
C13 - QR1363

These are all the bridge gates in the C concourse.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:57 am

Silver Members

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but as QR Silver member I have been at the Al Maha lounge two weeks ago. I asked for champagne and the waiter came with a bottle of Krug champagne! So they serve Krug also in Al Maha for Silver members, which is quite nice in my opinion.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: The Embassy
What are we expecting from Al Safwa? I usually use points/miles/whatever to upgrade inbound to DOH rather than outbound, but is it going to be special enough to try the outground upgrade to see what it's like? Teetotal, so the wine/champagne selection which seems so important to all y'all not really that important, but I could be tempted by significantly better food.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:14 am
formerly RZachSmith

My wife and I are transiting HIA on Wednesday in QR J, so will have lounge access. Does the lounge have storage lockers for carry-on luggage?

Given our 7 hour layover, we are also hoping to partake in QR's Doha tour at 19:00.

We arrive at 17:00 so my hope is that we can arrive, sign up for the tour, go to the lounge to freshen up and get a snack, leave our bags in storage to take the tour, and then return to the lounge after the tour.

Does this seem possible? Will we be able to store our bags without too much difficulty? We're likely to have one roll-aboard and one small backpack each.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.