Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First experience as a Gold PC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:02 am
Original Poster

First experience as a Gold PC

Flew 4 legs on QR. It's my first time as PC Gold having achieved it last year. SIN-DOH, easy boarding with priority boarding but not needed as it's less than half full. Cabin manager acknowledged my status. Overall, decent flight. Actually surprised by the service rendered

oryx lounge, terrible queue and now, overcrowded. Many people paid to gain access and there was no separate queue for PC members. Wasted 15 mins for queuing and very inefficient. No printers available. May just use Silver lounge for the short transit for shower.

DOH-CDG, relatively full flight, about 80%. Was not greeted by Cabin manager. A340 economy was a very average experience. Not of 5 star quality. Seat beside me was blocked. Actually on all 4 legs, it was evident on expert flyer than the seats were blocked.

CDG-DOH, priority check in and immigration process as a PC Gold. Surprised as I thought only Platinium will have access. only 4 empty seats in the whole economy. One of them again beside me. Not greeted by cabin manager. Terrible food on this leg. But very good service by this particular stewardess,she is pretty too! The lounge was terrible. No warm food. I think lack of food options in CDG. McDonald would really be a much better value for money option and it's before immigration.

Oryx lounge same experience, very busy and long queue of passengers paying. On both transit, common areas of DIA is very crowded. Never experience this before.

DOH SIN, 1/2 full, again, full row to me. Cabin manager greeted me, sort of, when she checked if I am a "DR". Fell asleep shortly, and during meal serve, one of the cabin crew checked with me again I am a PC Gold member, maybe because I look younger than the profile? And welcome me to the flight. This flight also serve one of the best economy food in recent flights. Generally, positive experience with the service but this lady served with a straight face.

I think over the past 2 years, the service and acknowledge on flight as PC silver/gold is negatively correlated with the no of passengers. Largely inconsistent. As a OWS, flights with CX consistently acknowledged by cabin manager. With QR getting more popular, with the crowd at DIA as evidence, I think there is a chance that the experience may become worse in the time to come. I think A340 has a average/bad economy product with large IFE box and laggy system. Makes me appreciate what I see as the best economy product in QR B777 which they use to serve DOH-SIN. While excited about B787, the statistically narrower and tighter seat pitch makes me wary about 7 hours in the plane when the route is so far served by the excellent B777.

Lastly, no op up again! I think they have reduced the overbooking situation as it's usually, 2-3 empty seats in the economy. But I do like that they tend to block a seat beside Gold if possible. Just that sometimes, the other passenger may use the empty spade instead of you :-( and it has happened quite often to me!
Old Mar 23, 2014, 6:28 am

Thanks for sharing the experience. I've never flown those routes.

I find that elite recognition is far more consistent from the outstations than from Doha, where, in my experience, its about 50%. On a recent flight in a C24/Y356 773 that had just a handful of empty seats in economy there were only two elite PC members in the entire Y cabin of about 345 passengers. I think the fewer elites in the cabin, the more likely you are to have your status acknowledged. I knew there were just two because they announced for me and one other to make ourselves known to the cabin crew while waiting to disembark; it was to give us Premium Lane immigration cards.

I agree that the Oryx Lounge leaves a lot to be desired. Nothing special, but a world away from the chaos that reigns supreme in the main terminal, and far better than nothing. Lets see what the new airport has in store. But, as we all know, the Oryx is on borrowed time and does get rather crowded, especially between 2300 and 0100, when it quietens down considerably after the wave of night departures are on their way, or forming an orderly queue on the tarmac waiting a slot.

Most unreserved seats are shown blocked on Expert Flyer when the flight is open for on-line check in, or is under airport control.

I agree that the 777 is more comfortable and spacious that the 787. Always go for a seat in block F in a 773 if possible. No IFE box, and only a 50/50 chance of being disturbed if the middle seat is occupied. I've experienced a seven hour flight in a 787, and seat width space was decidedly narrower than that of the 777, though the middle seat was empty. I find the location of IFE boxes under the seats to be something that's unacceptable in this day and age.

Op Ups are more pot luck than anything else, and I've had more than my fair share.

Last edited by Nuff Said; Mar 23, 2014 at 7:15 am Reason: Last paragraph re-worded.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: QR Platinum; A3 Gold
I agree that Oryx lounge could be improved if compared with lounges in other airports, but if I were to choose to stay inside or outside the lounge in DOH airport, it is no brainer as the common area could be even more crowded and much more noisier.

Guess the problem is the airport can hardly accommodate the increasing number of passengers now.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1K (plus a few others)
departing out of Doha -- access to premium terminal

Hi guys --

sorry if this has been asked before. Just turned gold on QR -- am leaving out of Doha tomorrow, booked in Y. Do I get to use the premium terminal, or do I go through the main terminal (and find a lounge somewhere there)?

Again, sure this is obvious to all but me -- am relative newbie on QR after many LH years, and so far quite happy with the Asia-US experience (especially in C). Advice most appreciated ^
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:22 am

Burmaflyer,

The Premium Terminal is only for passengers ticketed in J/F. You will have to use the lounges in the main terminal.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K (plus a few others)
Originally Posted by N1Rotate
Burmaflyer,

The Premium Terminal is only for passengers ticketed in J/F. You will have to use the lounges in the main terminal.
Ok -- thanks!

Always nice to be able to count on FTers for answers!
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Head for the Oryx Lounge as you're Gold.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Lifetime Bonvoy Platinum, HHonors Gold , TK Gold, MH Plat, QR Plat
Recognition is fairly sporadic- on recent DOH-IAH, was one of 2 golds in J (no Plats on board in J) ... no personal greeting from CSD, no meal choice first, nothing special- fairly normal J service. Ditto on DOH-KUL in Y, KUL-DOH in J (not sure how many elites on board tho)

GVA-DOH in Y, was personally greeted by CSD and offered meal choice.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:11 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I find I get personally greeted and offered my first choice of meal consistently in Y.

Not normally greeted in J as a returning PC/Gold member, but then they tend to personalise the service much more in J anyway so it's no big deal either way really. Although once they had run out of my first meal choice in J as I was sat near the back of the cabin - wouldn't have happened in Y! It was an op up though so I'm not complaining at all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.