Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
If you have a long overnight layover at DOH, please note that QR does not follow industry standards and you might not be able to get your bags returned for your hotel stay in Doha. Most (all?) QR fares, including the most expensive First class ones, contain the following buried deep in the "08.STOPOVERS" fare rule [note: you should check the rule of your own fare]:

IF THE STOPOVER IN DOHA BETWEEN CONNECTING
FLIGHTS IS LESS THAN 24 HOURS PLEASE NOTE THAT
THE BAGS WILL ALWAYS BE CHECKED THROUGH TO THE
FINAL DESTINATION.THE PASSENGERS SHOULD CARRY
EVERYTHING THEY NEED IN DOHA IN A HAND BAG.
-----------------------------------------------
IN CASE THE PASSENGER NEEDS THE BAGS IN DOHA THE
HIP RULE MUST BE APPLIED OR TWO SEPARATE TICKETS
NEED TO BE BOUGHT.
Print Wikipost

No short-checking luggage in DOH layover

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:08 am

What if I explicitly book a multi-city trip XXX-DOH + DOH-YYY, because I have business to do in Qatar, and it just happens coincidentally that DOH-YYY departs let's say 20 hrs after XXX-DOH arrived? I would obviously not be transiting at DOH, but travelling to Qatar for a reason.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
What if I explicitly book a multi-city trip XXX-DOH + DOH-YYY, because I have business to do in Qatar, and it just happens coincidentally that DOH-YYY departs let's say 20 hrs after XXX-DOH arrived? I would obviously not be transiting at DOH, but travelling to Qatar for a reason.
Your ticket will nevertheless say x/DOH (unless there is human intervention to change it) so you will still be only shown as "connecting" in DOH.

If you want it to show as a stopover and not a transit, someone needs to specifically mark the DOH stop as o/DOH because it will not happen automatically unless the transit is >24h.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:50 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

From my experience with QR, there is practically no way to short-check bags as long as it is not a stopover (> 24 hours). I have asked before at IST, SIN, DPS and all 3 stations has (no matter who you talk to) never allowed luggage to be short-checked.
I don't know the reason as at all stations I have only been told, this that this is their company policy, etc...

Hope this adds another datapoint on this.

Cheers!

ps: I know MH (at least from AMS station) will not short-check bags if flying in Y. Again no idea why?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 8:22 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Has anyone had experience short-checking to DOH when their first segment is on another airline? (e.g. DCA-MIA-DOH-SIN)? I would imagine a non-QR check-in agent would be more flexible (or ignorant) with regards to this policy, but I would appreciate anecdotes.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never considered having the luggage with me for a day's stay that includes a night as "short checking".

I've done <24 hour stays many times for work (arrive around 22, go to hotel, have meetings the entire day and take a flight out at 18) and the airlines I've flown with never had a problem with checking the bag correctly so I would have access to my toiletries and fresh business clothes.

I was considering visiting Doha as part of our Christmas break with family in tow, arriving from MXP at 23:15 and leaving the next day for SIN at 20:50, and am glad I bumped into this thread: we're definitely not going to do it. I wonder if the tourism authority is aware of this policy and its effects on tourism. I know there isn't much in Doha, so I'd loath to spend more than a day visiting, and with QR's bag policy I won't be spending any time there.

BTW what are families with small children supposed to do with all the baby food jars and diapers required for their stay? This policy is as nonsensical as it is unique in the industry -- actually, I remember being refused through check-in once because my connection was over 12 hours (or was it overnight -- see thread on LHR :http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...k-baggage.html)
Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
I recently had success short-checking in with QR at DPS. However, I would not guarantee the results can be replicated.

I was returning on a US-issued bus. class award ticket (Op. Carrier): DPS-(QR)-DOH-(QR)-ORD-(US)-CLT-(US)-SJU. The DOH layover was 8+ hrs. The ORD layover was 15+ hrs. And, the CLT layover was 1+ hrs.

When checking-in at DPS, I asked the agent if we could short-check our luggage to ORD (where we had a 15+ hrs. overnight layover). His response was essentially, "let me see." It took a while for him to look in our reservation and he had to ask someone else; but, eventually, he did short-check our bags to ORD.

A couple of points to note:

1) The ticket was NOT issued by QR; so, this may have helped. It was an award ticket issued by US.

2) I would not have pushed him on the issue much if he refused because, unless our bags failed to arrive in ORD with our flight, I would have retrieved them myself after clearing immigration and could have simply not rechecked them just then but waited until checking-in for our flight the next morning.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I was able to short check from FRA for an 18 hour connection in DOH. This was on a RTW ticket issued by CX in J class. At first I was refused and told that it was not possible for "security reasons". I asked to speak to a supervisor who got on the phone to someone and after considerable discussion got it approved.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: QF WP (OW Emerald)
Originally Posted by FindAWay
I was returning on a US-issued bus. class award ticket (Op. Carrier): DPS-(QR)-DOH-(QR)-ORD-(US)-CLT-(US)-SJU. The DOH layover was 8+ hrs. The ORD layover was 15+ hrs. And, the CLT layover was 1+ hrs.
On your itinerary, ORD is your first port of entry into the USA, so no matter you have connecting domestic flight or not, everyone on the flight would have to pick up their baggage at ORD anyway.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: QF WP (OW Emerald)
Originally Posted by oneworldflyer
I asked to speak to a supervisor who got on the phone to someone and after considerable discussion got it approved.
So, the conclusion is that, if might be possible but required persuasion and discussion....... QR is very strict on short-checking bags....
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look what I've found by accident buried deep in the fare rules!

Turns out it's everywhere from the cheapest "sale" fares all the way to the most expensive F fares:
08.STOPOVERS

[...]

NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.

[...]

NEED TO BE BOUGHT.

Last edited by hillrider; Apr 13, 2015 at 11:28 pm
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by FindAWay
When checking-in at DPS, I asked the agent if we could short-check our luggage to ORD (where we had a 15+ hrs. overnight layover). His response was essentially, "let me see." It took a while for him to look in our reservation and he had to ask someone else; but, eventually, he did short-check our bags to ORD.

A couple of points to note:

1) The ticket was NOT issued by QR; so, this may have helped. It was an award ticket issued by US.

2) I would not have pushed him on the issue much if he refused because, unless our bags failed to arrive in ORD with our flight, I would have retrieved them myself after clearing immigration and could have simply not rechecked them just then but waited until checking-in for our flight the next morning.
I guess as long as you are not requesting the bag to be short-checked to DOH then it is fine.

Also, with a ticket as complex as yours, it is unlikely that the purpose of your trip is really XXX-DOH and you are trying to get a lower fare by flying XXX-DOH-YYY instead.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by oneworldflyer
I was able to short check from FRA for an 18 hour connection in DOH. This was on a RTW ticket issued by CX in J class. At first I was refused and told that it was not possible for "security reasons". I asked to speak to a supervisor who got on the phone to someone and after considerable discussion got it approved.
I am guessing that the HIP check does not apply to RTW ticket, so short checking is possible.

Originally Posted by hillrider
Look what I've found buried deep in the fare rules of the current I-class sale (fares IJGSP2PX/IJGSP2PW):
Code:
08.STOPOVERS                                                    
   NO STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT.                  
         NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.       
[...]
          NEED TO BE BOUGHT.                                    
          --------------------
I wonder if the higher non-discounted fares in full J (where XXX-DOH-YYY costs more than XXX-DOH alone) have the same restrictions.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daniellam
I am guessing that the HIP check does not apply to RTW ticket, so short checking is possible.
It does, but the only (easiest) way that I can see a front line person to know this is if the ticket is issued with a stopover in DOH. This, as you mention, would not change the ticket's base fare (but may add some Doha taxes).

You can have a ticket issued as a stopover even if the connection is <24 hours, but GDSs automatically default to pricing a connection so a manual entry must be made to obtain the desired result (and, of course, you must request it).

Originally Posted by daniellam
I wonder if the higher non-discounted fares in full J (where XXX-DOH-YYY costs more than XXX-DOH alone) have the same restrictions.
Yes. It's the same situation as above (i.e. HIP check would not find any higher fare, but the only way for someone to know that it was performed is to see a fare calculation where DOH is a stopover, not a connection).
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:43 am

From looking at the fare rules for a lot of the discounted I fares from Europe to points in Africa, South Asia, SE Asia etc., they all disallow stopovers (i.e. stays in Doha for <24 hours).

It looks like QR / Doha is not interested in tourism from these people. They just want to herd a bunch of connecting low fare passengers through their hub in DOH like cattle.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 2:09 am

They are probably mindful of loss of revenue from DOH-based customers who will end up missing the last leg of a competitively priced connecting ticket.

There is obviously no choice but to travel to the origin at the beginning of the ticket, but in many cases people are counting on being able to drop the last segment. Having to go all the way to the ticket destination adds extra time and inconvenience, which they are hoping will discourage DOH-based customers from booking these.

FWIW QR is not the only one with a policy of this type - AF/KL does something similar (although they appear to let you collect bags on <24hr but overnight connections). http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...stination.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.