Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways first A380 nearing completion; First test A350 painted

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2013, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA

Yup, it's not got engines yet, nor has it been painted, but in another month or two it should be finished: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aircraf...n/photostream/

Also, the first A350 has rolled out the paint booth. I think it looks great - what a sweep those wings have! We can only hope that Qatar goes with the standard 9-abreast seating for these aircraft!
http://www.airbus.com/presscentre/pr...-in-toulouse/#

EDIT: See post #23 for updates

Last edited by InternationalLiving; Sep 4, 2013 at 4:38 pm
Old May 14, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Nice post.

I LOLed when I saw that giant oryx head on the tail. Somehow it just looks really strange to have a oryx head on a barely finished plane.

edit: ok so why is the tail already painted/
Old May 14, 2013, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA
Thanks.

It's just because, for whatever reason, they paint the tail before it goes on the aircraft. Maybe easier that way, or perhaps, it just makes identification of the aircraft easier for test flights/sitting on the tarmac etc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aircraf...in/photostream
Old May 14, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Thanks for the info!

I also noticed LH prints the tail number of the plane on the tail.
Old May 14, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by lsed
Nice post.

I LOLed when I saw that giant oryx head on the tail. Somehow it just looks really strange to have a oryx head on a barely finished plane.

edit: ok so why is the tail already painted/
Originally Posted by InternationalLiving
Thanks.

It's just because, for whatever reason, they paint the tail before it goes on the aircraft. Maybe easier that way, or perhaps, it just makes identification of the aircraft easier for test flights/sitting on the tarmac etc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aircraf...in/photostream
I seem to recall from watching an A380 documentary many years ago that the tails are painted as part of the manufacturing process and so arrive at the assembly line in their full splendour.
Old May 14, 2013, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I wonder when Akbar Al Baker will show us what the planes will look like inside!
Old May 14, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
The way the tail attaches to the frame of the plane uses Wallace bolts and must be painted before attached to avoid the Hyper Fitz Effect which comes into play during metallurgy deterioration.

BTW I just totally made that up, but it sounded good huh? So those of you who were going to search for Wallace bolts sorry for taking up 1 minute of your life for my amusement. )

I have no idea why the tail is already painted.
Old May 14, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: EBS, EY Gold Eite, EK Gold, QR Platinum, Accor Gold
The tail is manufactured and painted in Hamburg before flown to Toulouse for final assembly. Probably painted in Hamburg purely because of some practical reason...lower to the ground maybe...
Old May 14, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
I believe that its pained before the rest of the aircraft because the rudder has to be balanced. I believe its easier to paint, attach, then balance the rudder. Appose to attaching the unpainted rudder, balancing that, painting the rudder and then balancing it again.

I do like this image of the same aircraft - http://www.flickr.com/photos/aircraf...n/photostream/

Last edited by FN-GM; May 14, 2013 at 4:38 pm Reason: typo
Old May 14, 2013, 4:10 pm

I believe it's to do with delicate balancing of the rudder. It's easier to paint it and then get the balancing correct before attaching it to the aircraft.
Old May 14, 2013, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
This.

Originally Posted by FN-GM
I believe that its painted before the rest of the aircraft because the rudder has to be balanced.
Old May 15, 2013, 12:40 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Sweet. On which routes will the A380 be deployed? What is the delivery schedule, i.e. how many planes will be delivered when?

Last edited by San Gottardo; May 15, 2013 at 12:49 am
Old May 15, 2013, 1:04 am

Programs: Privilege Club
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Sweet. On which routes will the A380 be deployed? What is the delivery schedule, i.e. how many planes will be delivered when?
As far as the CEO mentioned, it will be first deployed on LHR. The delivery is tentatively on February 2014 with aircraft on order 13 Airbus A380-800.

For more information, you can log to http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/our-fleet.page
Old May 16, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Starbucks Gold, CO Op gold
They ran out of grey paint and wanted to wait... (LOL i dunno). But a good question!

Given how every other A380 operator has a first class, im guessing these planes will have to as well? Or might they be the first A380 operator without a first class.

Off the top of my Head:
Singapore Airlines - First Class
Qantas - First Class
Emirates - First Class
Lufthansa - First Class
Air France - First Class
Korean Air - First Class
Malaysia Airlines - First Class
China Southern - First Class
British Airways - First Class
Qatar Airways - ???
Old May 16, 2013, 11:13 am

Omar84,

QR's A380 will feature a new first class product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.