Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
Qatar Airways Stopover Package (STPC)

Note : STPC has not been available since COVID started and won't probably be available before the end of the year 2022 due to the World Cup. But you can book a StopOver hotel for a discounted price with Discover Qatar (starting at $14 for 4* and $20 for 5*) until 24th October 2022 (no later, again due to the Wolrd Cup)

Passengers with a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours are eligible for a stopover package (STPC) in Doha, offered by Qatar Airways.
An STPC request can be made as early as 361 days in advance, but no later than 72 hours prior to departure. The STPC is either offered complimentary or bookable at a fee.
For group bookings, different rules apply.

I. STPC free of charge
In cases where there are no immediate connections available between 8 and 24 hours.
No exceptions can be given (7 hrs 59 minutes = not eligible, 24 hrs 1 minute = not eligible).
N-class and above.
Directional ticket value above USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
Directional ticket value is the sum of the fare paid for the journey and the Fuel surcharge (as shown on your E-ticket) divided by two.

II. STPC against a fee
When the passenger holds a ticket in booking classes below N.
When the passenger holds a Privilege Club redemption ticket in Economy or Business Class.
When the directional ticket value is less than USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
USD 125 fee for Economy Class passengers.
USD 150 fee for Business Class passengers.

III. STPC is not available if the booking includes flights to or from Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DWC), Dubai (DXB), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT), Ras Al Khaimah (RKT) and Sharjah (SHJ). .
If the passenger holds a temporary passport/travel document.
If the passenger holds separate tickets.

IV. STPC package includes
Hotel room for the duration of the passengers stay (5-star hotel for Business Class passengers / 3-star hotel for Economy Class passengers). If there is a change in the Flight Schedule and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours then the existing hotel confirmation will become invalid.
Temporary entry visa fee to Doha, Qatar*.
Transfer HIA - hotel - HIA.
Meal voucher (depends on duration of the transit).

V. To book STPC
Update PNR with passport number and nationality (tickets need to be issued).
Contact Qatar Airways, providing credit card number including expire date and CVC code.

VI. Different scenarios for STPC
QR is operating an immediate connection with seats available in the desired cabin, but the passenger has booked a connection with transit time of 8-24 hours. STPC is not permitted either complimentary or against a fee.
QR is operating an immediate connection but no seats are available in the desired cabin. If the passenger has booked a ticket on the next available connection with a transit of between 8-24 hours, STPC against payment is permitted.
QR is not operating an immediate connection; all the connections have a transit time of between 8-24 hours. Passenger may choose any connection and receive STPC free of charge. There are reports that this may no longer be correct.
*Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the immigration authorities.

Website: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page

Anecdote: a code-share DOH-CMN within the 8-hour window did not disqualify me from STPC. In other words it is only QR operated flights that are used for connection time calculations.

I have STPC- What do I need to Do?
This is covered in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html.

How does the new Free stopover affect STPC?
QR have just launched a new free stopover policy. See http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...ease_plusqatar, http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/plusqatar.page and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...on-2017-1.html for details.
At the moment STPC sappears to be unaffected except for 'multi city' bookings. At this very early stage there is no clear practice as to who qualifies!

Updated 21-SEP-2022.
Print Wikipost

The QR STPC (stopover) policy?

Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
How much per person is the paid STPC?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: SK Diamond, QR Platinum, AA Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold Ambassador
If I could choose, I would definitely pick the airside hotel over Oryx Rotana.
Last time I stayed I was too tired to even remember this possibility(?)
It would get me nearly 2 hours of extra sleep.

In other news, the handling of passenger using STPC has improved considerably since the first time I used (about a year ago). Back then all I got was the vouchers from the desk, and then I was on my own.

Last time I had my own personal "assistant" guiding me to the lounge, where there is a dedicated immigration officer handling the immigration process.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by sexten
If I could choose, I would definitely pick the airside hotel over Oryx Rotana.
Last time I stayed I was too tired to even remember this possibility(?)
It would get me nearly 2 hours of extra sleep.

In other news, the handling of passenger using STPC has improved considerably since the first time I used (about a year ago). Back then all I got was the vouchers from the desk, and then I was on my own.

Last time I had my own personal "assistant" guiding me to the lounge, where there is a dedicated immigration officer handling the immigration process.
Did you fly J? I think this "Al-Maha" transit service is now included for J. Someone assisted me up to the arrivals lounge.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by boarding_pass
Did you fly J? I think this "Al-Maha" transit service is now included for J. Someone assisted me up to the arrivals lounge.
Yes, both times in J. But almost a year in difference. So apparently the routines have changed (for the better).
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
I've got an 8hr25min stopover early next year on my way back from Bangkok. I phoned up today to enquire about the possibility of accommodation and was told no, because there's a later flight out of BKK than ours. Paid STPC wasn't offered - should it have been? Has anyone had any success phoning again and asking if turned down the first time?

Thanks.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by omk298
I've got an 8hr25min stopover early next year on my way back from Bangkok. I phoned up today to enquire about the possibility of accommodation and was told no, because there's a later flight out of BKK than ours. Paid STPC wasn't offered - should it have been? Has anyone had any success phoning again and asking if turned down the first time?

Thanks.
If there is a routing available with a shorter stopover than 8 hours you are not eligible for STPC.

EDIT: Sorry, did not see you wrote "PAID STPC".

Last edited by sexten; Aug 26, 2015 at 1:05 am
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by omk298

Thanks.
Yes you should have been offered the paid version instead. Call again and request, but YMMV as to whether it's worth it or not. For an 8hr25min stopover it may not be.... by the time you get out, then need to get back, etc.

If wanting some sleep may be better to just look at booking the airport hotel which is in the terminal ergo no need to clear passport control etc.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 4:06 am

Programs: QF Platinum, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Raffles Ambassador
Does anybody have any experience if a flight with an 8.5 hour stopover is eligible for STPC when there is a sub 8 hour connection scheduled for that date but it is completely full in the desired class across all fare buckets (business) but is still available in economy?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Matthew_22
Does anybody have any experience if a flight with an 8.5 hour stopover is eligible for STPC when there is a sub 8 hour connection scheduled for that date but it is completely full in the desired class across all fare buckets (business) but is still available in economy?
You won't be eligible for STPC in that case.

FYI having recently done a 9 hour layover in the lounge, it's quite easy. There's a quiet area (past the downstairs restaurant, tucked away!) that you can get your own space and have a nap there. There's plenty of showers around too.

Other people were just laid out upon the couches in the main part of the lounge. Easy enough.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: QF Platinum, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Raffles Ambassador
Originally Posted by flashware
You won't be eligible for STPC in that case.

FYI having recently done a 9 hour layover in the lounge, it's quite easy. There's a quiet area (past the downstairs restaurant, tucked away!) that you can get your own space and have a nap there. There's plenty of showers around too.

Other people were just laid out upon the couches in the main part of the lounge. Easy enough.
Cheers for the quick reply & info.

Wasn't really expecting much, this would bring my ratio of successful STPC's down to 1 out of 3..

And yeah, I was thinking about just doing the lounge thing, in the past I found there was so much waiting and mucking around during the STPC process I only managed to steal a couple of hours sleep before having to check out and return to the airport. Still, it is nice to have a bit of a base, maybe the airside hotel could be the way to go.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:17 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA EXP, QFF WP, HH D, SPG G, Hertz PC
What's the situation with QR doing STPC on a DONEx itinerary that is booked via AA?

I would fulfil all the other requirements - flights in and out of DOH on QR, 8-9 hours is the minimum connection time and there there are no other flights that would allow shorter travel time.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:08 am

I booked business (I) and i have 19.00 hrs connection time, phone them today and was told no. Because of there are a few flights leaves earlier with shorter connecting.
But what i wonder is there are two flights for my connection and the shortest one, i still need to wait for about 13.oo hrs. i think i qualified to get a free one.

Last edited by mryuenyong; Sep 27, 2015 at 8:15 pm
Old Oct 2, 2015, 11:00 pm

I'm look at going YHZ-PHL-DOH-MNL with a 19:50 stopover in DOH in a couple weeks. At least on ITA it all comes up as N, so per this thread I should be eligible for the free STPC? Is it possible to confirm in advance?

Reason being on Saturdays, there are the same flights but with only a ~3 hr stop over in DOH, however I would prefer to fly out on a Wednesday (the arrival time in MNL is better too), but only if I could avoid spending 20 hours bumming around the airport. Also it would be cool to just see a bit of Doha.

Checked fare rules, QR website, it all seems very ambiguous and non-specific as per experience on this thread.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by seadog83
I'm look at going YHZ-PHL-DOH-MNL with a 19:50 stopover in DOH in a couple weeks. At least on ITA it all comes up as N, so per this thread I should be eligible for the free STPC? Is it possible to confirm in advance?

Reason being on Saturdays, there are the same flights but with only a ~3 hr stop over in DOH, however I would prefer to fly out on a Wednesday (the arrival time in MNL is better too), but only if I could avoid spending 20 hours bumming around the airport. Also it would be cool to just see a bit of Doha.

Checked fare rules, QR website, it all seems very ambiguous and non-specific as per experience on this thread.
Have a look at the flight schedule - if there's any other flights leaving PHL on the same day that could connect with anything leaving DOH (for MNL) that would fit under 8 hours then it's a no go. Best to check on the QR website (and not just for your date as the cabin you're after may be sold out - check a couple of dates for the same week day).
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA EXP, QFF WP, HH D, SPG G, Hertz PC
So as an update, QR are refusing to allow STPC on an AA ticketed DONE3 which includes AMS-DOH-TXL, because QR don't sell a through fare between those points, despite me being around 9 hours in DOH.

Secondarily for TXL-DOH-ORD, which is 9 hours again, they will only do it on the AA ticket if both legs are QR coded. If either leg is a AA marketed but operated by QR, they won't do it. They said if I switched it back to the QR, it would be eligible.

Only problem is that the DOH-ORD QR code is now showing D0, so I can't switch it over.

Anyway, some interesting points of data in trying to work out the finer points of the QR STPC policy: Only where they have a ticketed fare, and only when flights are both marketed and operated by QR. I'm going to have some very long overnight stays in the Al Mourjan lounge in my future.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.