Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
Qatar Airways Stopover Package (STPC)

Note : STPC has not been available since COVID started and won't probably be available before the end of the year 2022 due to the World Cup. But you can book a StopOver hotel for a discounted price with Discover Qatar (starting at $14 for 4* and $20 for 5*) until 24th October 2022 (no later, again due to the Wolrd Cup)

Passengers with a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours are eligible for a stopover package (STPC) in Doha, offered by Qatar Airways.
An STPC request can be made as early as 361 days in advance, but no later than 72 hours prior to departure. The STPC is either offered complimentary or bookable at a fee.
For group bookings, different rules apply.

I. STPC free of charge
In cases where there are no immediate connections available between 8 and 24 hours.
No exceptions can be given (7 hrs 59 minutes = not eligible, 24 hrs 1 minute = not eligible).
N-class and above.
Directional ticket value above USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
Directional ticket value is the sum of the fare paid for the journey and the Fuel surcharge (as shown on your E-ticket) divided by two.

II. STPC against a fee
When the passenger holds a ticket in booking classes below N.
When the passenger holds a Privilege Club redemption ticket in Economy or Business Class.
When the directional ticket value is less than USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
USD 125 fee for Economy Class passengers.
USD 150 fee for Business Class passengers.

III. STPC is not available if the booking includes flights to or from Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DWC), Dubai (DXB), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT), Ras Al Khaimah (RKT) and Sharjah (SHJ). .
If the passenger holds a temporary passport/travel document.
If the passenger holds separate tickets.

IV. STPC package includes
Hotel room for the duration of the passengers stay (5-star hotel for Business Class passengers / 3-star hotel for Economy Class passengers). If there is a change in the Flight Schedule and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours then the existing hotel confirmation will become invalid.
Temporary entry visa fee to Doha, Qatar*.
Transfer HIA - hotel - HIA.
Meal voucher (depends on duration of the transit).

V. To book STPC
Update PNR with passport number and nationality (tickets need to be issued).
Contact Qatar Airways, providing credit card number including expire date and CVC code.

VI. Different scenarios for STPC
QR is operating an immediate connection with seats available in the desired cabin, but the passenger has booked a connection with transit time of 8-24 hours. STPC is not permitted either complimentary or against a fee.
QR is operating an immediate connection but no seats are available in the desired cabin. If the passenger has booked a ticket on the next available connection with a transit of between 8-24 hours, STPC against payment is permitted.
QR is not operating an immediate connection; all the connections have a transit time of between 8-24 hours. Passenger may choose any connection and receive STPC free of charge. There are reports that this may no longer be correct.
*Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the immigration authorities.

Website: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page

Anecdote: a code-share DOH-CMN within the 8-hour window did not disqualify me from STPC. In other words it is only QR operated flights that are used for connection time calculations.

I have STPC- What do I need to Do?
This is covered in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html.

How does the new Free stopover affect STPC?
QR have just launched a new free stopover policy. See http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...ease_plusqatar, http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/plusqatar.page and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...on-2017-1.html for details.
At the moment STPC sappears to be unaffected except for 'multi city' bookings. At this very early stage there is no clear practice as to who qualifies!

Updated 21-SEP-2022.
Print Wikipost

The QR STPC (stopover) policy?

Old May 17, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, EK Silver
Originally Posted by sexten
The hotel is Oryx Rotana and the shuttle is only one stop.
That's what i thought but i requested my STPC earlier today as i'm travelling J class BSR-DOH-EDI and the agent said i would get a transfer hotel WITHIN the airport!! Transfer time is roughly 19 hrs. Perhaps the agent was telling porkies? Was really hoping to get a hotel outside airport.

Last edited by psychopomp1; May 17, 2015 at 11:20 am
Old May 17, 2015, 6:33 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by psychopomp1
That's what i thought but i requested my STPC earlier today as i'm travelling J class BSR-DOH-EDI and the agent said i would get a transfer hotel WITHIN the airport!! Transfer time is roughly 19 hrs. Perhaps the agent was telling porkies? Was really hoping to get a hotel outside airport.
That would be weird.. especially for a 19 hour transfer.
So it seems you requested the accommodation already? In that case you should get a reservation confirmation within a day or two, on which it should state which hotel you are booked in.
Old May 18, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, EK Silver
Originally Posted by zehbra
That would be weird.. especially for a 19 hour transfer.
So it seems you requested the accommodation already? In that case you should get a reservation confirmation within a day or two, on which it should state which hotel you are booked in.
Ok I was worrying over nothing, got my STPC confirmation by email and indeed, i'm booked at the Oryx Hotel in both directions
Old May 18, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Raffles Ambassador
Does anyone have any experience on whether a routing that requires an additional connection/codeshare would be considered valid grounds to deny STPC?

For example I'm looking at PNH-DOH-CPH, (QR971 -> QR159) which has a transit time of 10 hours and 10 minutes.

However there is a routing with a shorter stopover in Doha, but it requires an additional connection in BKK, and one of the sectors is a Bangkok Airways codeshare, PNH-BKK-DOH-CPH (QR4492 -> QR831 -> QR163)

Thoughts? Would be traveling in I if that makes any difference.
Old May 19, 2015, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Matthew_22
Does anyone have any experience on whether a routing that requires an additional connection/codeshare would be considered valid grounds to deny STPC?

For example I'm looking at PNH-DOH-CPH, (QR971 -> QR159) which has a transit time of 10 hours and 10 minutes.

However there is a routing with a shorter stopover in Doha, but it requires an additional connection in BKK, and one of the sectors is a Bangkok Airways codeshare, PNH-BKK-DOH-CPH (QR4492 -> QR831 -> QR163)

Thoughts? Would be traveling in I if that makes any difference.
You should be OK. I'm booked in N (the lowest STPC-eligible class) to fly to HKT in June. I've got 11 hours' connecting time for the direct flight, but there are earlier options via BKK. Had no problem in confirming the STPC.
Old May 21, 2015, 8:21 am

^^ Based on experience, this is fine. It seems they are only comparing direct flight segments to/from Doha. For instance, long layover going to TXL and even though there are Air Berlin flights in between (FRA or MUC from DOH) which reduces the layover/flight time << still valid for STPC unless of course you're booked on class O.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Where does S class stand - above or below N class? Is it eligible for STPC? Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: BA BD SA
S is one notch above N - so should be eligible.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:08 pm

I've no idea what class my ticket it is. I've got an M, B, R, I and E on my ticket?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AA EXP
Are business class tickets on Qatar using American Airlines miles eligible for STPC? Our stopover is almost 12 hours
Old Jul 11, 2015, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by nxsahraw
Are business class tickets on Qatar using American Airlines miles eligible for STPC? Our stopover is almost 12 hours
Not sure if you've read the thread but several people have stated for award tickets you will not get STPC for free. If you want it, you'll have to pay for it.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:40 am

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
Ive just stayed at the airport transit hotel and was very surprised to see people checking in with STPC vouchers .Not sure which class they were travelling but it proves that they do use this hotel . I guess only on occasions where there is low occupancy .
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:23 am

wow I would be happy to accept the transit hotel if my STPC is around midnight to early hours and less than 10 hours. too much time wasted going through immigration and hotel city transfers, and if you only have 8-10 hours layover, you won't have much time to sleep.

but if this is daytime or a longer layover then I would love to explore the city! will they still get "free visa" to enter Qatar even if their STPC hotel is the transit hotel?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by boarding_pass
wow I would be happy to accept the transit hotel if my STPC is around midnight to early hours and less than 10 hours. too much time wasted going through immigration and hotel city transfers, and if you only have 8-10 hours layover, you won't have much time to sleep.

but if this is daytime or a longer layover then I would love to explore the city! will they still get "free visa" to enter Qatar even if their STPC hotel is the transit hotel?
I would suggest not - seems to indicate it's within the terminal?

http://hiahotel.com/about-us

It also makes reference to restaurants and cafes within the terminal, so suggests it's airside.

http://hiahotel.com/facilities

Also if you do a dummy booking you get the following:
Please note that The Airport Hotel is located inside Hamad International Airport before passport control.
You must be in transit and holding a valid boarding pass for your onward flight to access the hotel. Passengers on transit through Hamad International Airport are strongly advised not to pass through immigration and also to carry any required toiletries or medicines in their hand baggage as they will not have access to retrieve their checked in luggage
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:40 am

Yes, HIA is airside. Saw it once. To me getting out of the airport is a perk of STPC, but maybe for some who wants to have a longer rest, then it's a good option!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.