Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
Qatar Airways Stopover Package (STPC)

Note : STPC has not been available since COVID started and won't probably be available before the end of the year 2022 due to the World Cup. But you can book a StopOver hotel for a discounted price with Discover Qatar (starting at $14 for 4* and $20 for 5*) until 24th October 2022 (no later, again due to the Wolrd Cup)

•Passengers with a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours are eligible for a stopover package (STPC) in Doha, offered by Qatar Airways.
•An STPC request can be made as early as 361 days in advance, but no later than 72 hours prior to departure. The STPC is either offered complimentary or bookable at a fee.
•For group bookings, different rules apply.

I. STPC free of charge
•In cases where there are no immediate connections available between 8 and 24 hours.
•No exceptions can be given (7 hrs 59 minutes = not eligible, 24 hrs 1 minute = not eligible).
•N-class and above.
•Directional ticket value above USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•Directional ticket value is the sum of the fare paid for the journey and the Fuel surcharge (as shown on your E-ticket) divided by two.

II. STPC against a fee
•When the passenger holds a ticket in booking classes below N.
•When the passenger holds a Privilege Club redemption ticket in Economy or Business Class.
•When the directional ticket value is less than USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•USD 125 fee for Economy Class passengers.
•USD 150 fee for Business Class passengers.

III. STPC is not available if the booking includes flights to or from Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DWC), Dubai (DXB), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT), Ras Al Khaimah (RKT) and Sharjah (SHJ). .
•If the passenger holds a temporary passport/travel document.
•If the passenger holds separate tickets.

IV. STPC package includes
•Hotel room for the duration of the passenger’s stay (5-star hotel for Business Class passengers / 3-star hotel for Economy Class passengers). If there is a change in the Flight Schedule and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours then the existing hotel confirmation will become invalid.
•Temporary entry visa fee to Doha, Qatar*.
•Transfer HIA - hotel - HIA.
•Meal voucher (depends on duration of the transit).

V. To book STPC
•Update PNR with passport number and nationality (tickets need to be issued).
•Contact Qatar Airways, providing credit card number including expire date and CVC code.

VI. Different scenarios for STPC
•QR is operating an immediate connection with seats available in the desired cabin, but the passenger has booked a connection with transit time of 8-24 hours. STPC is not permitted either complimentary or against a fee.
•QR is operating an immediate connection but no seats are available in the desired cabin. If the passenger has booked a ticket on the next available connection with a transit of between 8-24 hours, STPC against payment is permitted.
•QR is not operating an immediate connection; all the connections have a transit time of between 8-24 hours. Passenger may choose any connection and receive STPC free of charge. There are reports that this may no longer be correct.
*Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the immigration authorities.

Website: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page

Anecdote: a code-share DOH-CMN within the 8-hour window did not disqualify me from STPC. In other words it is only QR operated flights that are used for connection time calculations.

I have STPC- What do I need to Do?
This is covered in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html.

How does the new Free stopover affect STPC?
QR have just launched a new free stopover policy. See http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...ease_plusqatar, http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/plusqatar.page and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...on-2017-1.html for details.
At the moment STPC sappears to be unaffected except for 'multi city' bookings. At this very early stage there is no clear practice as to who qualifies!

Updated 21-SEP-2022.
Print Wikipost

The QR STPC (stopover) policy?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2016, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by remdk
tboons since connection times are stated by QR as 'UNDER 8 HOURS' and 'BETWEEN 8 AND 24 HOURS' then 8.00 hours should be permitted as per http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page.

Booking class O as well as award redemptions do not qualify for free STPC but they MAY qualify for Paid STPC. You need to talk to your local QR office about it.
I thought economy did, so long as the fare itself was over a certain amount (which was recently reduced as per posts upthread)?
Old May 3, 2016, 8:51 am

flashware if you look at the Wiki on this thread, which is probably the most accurate description available, you will see
"Paid-for STPC is only available:
For booking classes Q, O and (for award redemptions from QR's program only) X, U and Z if there is no immediate [(< 8 hours)] [scheduled] [direct] connection on the date of departure from origin, "

That means that the lowest ticketing classes are not entitled to free STPC but may be entitled to paid STPC. The minimum spend limits sound like an effort by QR to reduce the number of Free STPCs and is an addition to the existing rules rather than a replacement.
Old May 12, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
Originally Posted by mrvincent
Just before the security for transfers there a bank of info desks that you go to for STPC (even if you already have an email? As this is where we were given our official STPC documentation, despite being confirmed by email well before, so assume that this is always required).

We were then directed to the business class arrivals to go through immigration and to then be collected and taken to the hotel.

On a side note... This is where QR really fell down. We queued for 45 mins (one person on at passport control in the J arrivals lounge) and then waited around for another hour to get a bus to the hotel. No-one really knew what was going on. Seems strange since they should have a good idea of volumes coming through both immigration (Qatar govt responsibility) or STPC in general (QR's fault).
I found the process pretty grim, arriving at 1230am. At the business lounge I clearly woke the receptionist up. He initially said" you not here this is business class." Anyway having already shown my onward BP I had to find my BP into Doha to prove I was indeed travelling in J

He then waived his hand to go over there, this was to immigration after which the agent who did not speak English indicated I had to go through doors....into a vast empty baggage carousel area no one there. Wandered around, eventually found door out, again no one.

In due course I was directed to a car park and found the Rotana desk. Problem was there were a large number of guests who I think were there because of a cancellation, they were certainly from their yellow tags all economy. No priority was given to any business customers.

Buses were then full, eventually got to the hotel just before 2.30 but as a single female traveller this was not an experience I will wish to repeat. I think I will go with other carriers for my Beijing flights now we have this stupid layover time on our ex EDI flights since the new schedules came in.
Old May 12, 2016, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by thegreatmrsj
I found the process pretty grim, arriving at 1230am. At the business lounge I clearly woke the receptionist up. He initially said" you not here this is business class." Anyway having already shown my onward BP I had to find my BP into Doha to prove I was indeed travelling in J

He then waived his hand to go over there, this was to immigration after which the agent who did not speak English indicated I had to go through doors....into a vast empty baggage carousel area no one there. Wandered around, eventually found door out, again no one.

In due course I was directed to a car park and found the Rotana desk. Problem was there were a large number of guests who I think were there because of a cancellation, they were certainly from their yellow tags all economy. No priority was given to any business customers.

Buses were then full, eventually got to the hotel just before 2.30 but as a single female traveller this was not an experience I will wish to repeat. I think I will go with other carriers for my Beijing flights now we have this stupid layover time on our ex EDI flights since the new schedules came in.
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

I had one of these stopovers last week, arriving about the same time of day. It was also very quiet in the airport, but after exiting the baggage hall I just went to the business class arrivals lounge. They got me a drink and called over to the rotana desk. Two people came over from there to get me, one guy organising the paperwork and heading off to check me in and get my room key, and another lady seemingly just to chat with me whilst this was going on. They then put me in a bmw to the hotel, where I went straight up to my room. Couldn't have been organised better.

Granted it's not obvious what you need to do, but the arrivals lounge is a great place to head for and then let them sort it out.

I hope it works better for you if you do go that way again.
Old May 13, 2016, 12:07 am

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
I had an 8 hour, 15 minute layover which qualified me for STPC. But my experience twice before showed me that by the time I get to the room I'll probably only have 4 hours or so to sleep. So I decided to ask if I could have the airport hotel instead. I first asked about 2 months in advance at my local QR office. But they said they couldn't confirm it for me. So I waited until the actual day of arrival. I presented my STPC voucher at the transfer desk and asked if I could get it changed to the airport hotel. The agent there, who was very helpful, tried calling around to the hotel and her supervisor. But in the end they said I couldn't have the airport hotel for STPC. So I 'settled' for one of the sleeping rooms in the Safwa Lounge.
So it's just one data point, and in the past some people may have been given the airport hotel for the paid stopover. But at this point it's looking extremely difficult to get it.
Old May 13, 2016, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

I had one of these stopovers last week, arriving about the same time of day. It was also very quiet in the airport, but after exiting the baggage hall I just went to the business class arrivals lounge. They got me a drink and called over to the rotana desk. Two people came over from there to get me, one guy organising the paperwork and heading off to check me in and get my room key, and another lady seemingly just to chat with me whilst this was going on. They then put me in a bmw to the hotel, where I went straight up to my room. Couldn't have been organised better.

Granted it's not obvious what you need to do, but the arrivals lounge is a great place to head for and then let them sort it out.

I hope it works better for you if you do go that way again.
Thanks, I did indeed head to the arrivals lounge that was where despite having a business class boarding pass for both legs I had to DIY. I so wish I had had the experience you did. It would have been more reassuring. That said, at least if I get the no treatment I know where to go.

I often wonder as a single female who dresses down and dresses for comfort during long flights if this impacts on things. I've had great service on QR but usually when I am travelling with my husband or my assistant who happens to be male. Otherwise it's mixed.
Old May 31, 2016, 12:35 pm

I am planning to book a flight from Hong Kong to Istanbul via Doha. From the schedule, the shortest available flight which connect the flight from Hong Kong is a flight to SAW airport, which need to wait around 7 hours, but if I want to fly to IST airport, the first available flight will be over 8 hours.

Do I still entitle to the hotel if there is an alternative flight option (to SAW airport instead of IST)?
Old May 31, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: QR Platinum; A3 Gold
I had a similar case before, but with Tokyo instead of Istanbul. Having a second airport in the same city did not disqualify STPC in my case.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:58 am

R class STPC

Has anyone had any experience booking STPC with an R class ticket (i.e. the new business promo fare code introduced by Qatar Airways)? I have just tried to book it for my flight from Tokyo Haneda (QR813) to Moscow (QR229) which is exactly 8 hours connection time and was told there would be a $150 USD charge.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by binary0110
Has anyone had any experience booking STPC with an R class ticket (i.e. the new business promo fare code introduced by Qatar Airways)? I have just tried to book it for my flight from Tokyo Haneda (QR813) to Moscow (QR229) which is exactly 8 hours connection time and was told there would be a $150 USD charge.
Of course R-class is fine. But that's just one of the hurdles: the others include dealing with QR customer service.

The interpretation du jour may be >8hours, i.e. longer than 8 hours but not equal to 8 hours.

Try again. If knocked back, ask why.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Of course R-class is fine. But that's just one of the hurdles: the others include dealing with QR customer service.

The interpretation du jour may be >8hours, i.e. longer than 8 hours but not equal to 8 hours.

Try again. If knocked back, ask why.
I've just tried speaking to someone in the Doha office (who seemed much more clued up than the person I spoke to in London). He explained that a connection exactly 8 hours is fine but that there are another 2 criteria:

(i) It is not a promotional fare. When I asked him to clarify what fare codes, he explained that in business class, anything except R is eligible.

(ii) The base fare must be greater than $400 USD.

Regardless of whether R is allowed (and I can see from other posters in this thread that some people have been able to get free STPC on R), my booking would fail on the second point.

Perhaps it would be worth updating the Wiki to include the $400 USD requirement?

So now I am thinking about whether to try and get onto the Doha city tour, just spend the whole time in Al Mourjan or book the transit hotel (whose prices seem to have risen - a 5-8 hour booking is now 720 QAR). Any thoughts?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
400 USD minimum fare requirement is for base fare or all inclusive fare ?
Is it 400 USD per way for a return ticket ?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Matt4
400 USD minimum fare requirement is for base fare or all inclusive fare ?
Is it 400 USD per way for a return ticket ?
Base fare, not sure if it's one way or return.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
This condition is a recent addition to the rules of QR's policy of STPC. It was posted a while back in this very same thread in post number 143 - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26353825-post143.html
and it seems it must be $400 for that one way.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:04 pm

Can someone edit the Wiki to add the $400 USD rule?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.