Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
Qatar Airways Stopover Package (STPC)

Note : STPC has not been available since COVID started and won't probably be available before the end of the year 2022 due to the World Cup. But you can book a StopOver hotel for a discounted price with Discover Qatar (starting at $14 for 4* and $20 for 5*) until 24th October 2022 (no later, again due to the Wolrd Cup)

•Passengers with a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours are eligible for a stopover package (STPC) in Doha, offered by Qatar Airways.
•An STPC request can be made as early as 361 days in advance, but no later than 72 hours prior to departure. The STPC is either offered complimentary or bookable at a fee.
•For group bookings, different rules apply.

I. STPC free of charge
•In cases where there are no immediate connections available between 8 and 24 hours.
•No exceptions can be given (7 hrs 59 minutes = not eligible, 24 hrs 1 minute = not eligible).
•N-class and above.
•Directional ticket value above USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•Directional ticket value is the sum of the fare paid for the journey and the Fuel surcharge (as shown on your E-ticket) divided by two.

II. STPC against a fee
•When the passenger holds a ticket in booking classes below N.
•When the passenger holds a Privilege Club redemption ticket in Economy or Business Class.
•When the directional ticket value is less than USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•USD 125 fee for Economy Class passengers.
•USD 150 fee for Business Class passengers.

III. STPC is not available if the booking includes flights to or from Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DWC), Dubai (DXB), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT), Ras Al Khaimah (RKT) and Sharjah (SHJ). .
•If the passenger holds a temporary passport/travel document.
•If the passenger holds separate tickets.

IV. STPC package includes
•Hotel room for the duration of the passenger’s stay (5-star hotel for Business Class passengers / 3-star hotel for Economy Class passengers). If there is a change in the Flight Schedule and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours then the existing hotel confirmation will become invalid.
•Temporary entry visa fee to Doha, Qatar*.
•Transfer HIA - hotel - HIA.
•Meal voucher (depends on duration of the transit).

V. To book STPC
•Update PNR with passport number and nationality (tickets need to be issued).
•Contact Qatar Airways, providing credit card number including expire date and CVC code.

VI. Different scenarios for STPC
•QR is operating an immediate connection with seats available in the desired cabin, but the passenger has booked a connection with transit time of 8-24 hours. STPC is not permitted either complimentary or against a fee.
•QR is operating an immediate connection but no seats are available in the desired cabin. If the passenger has booked a ticket on the next available connection with a transit of between 8-24 hours, STPC against payment is permitted.
•QR is not operating an immediate connection; all the connections have a transit time of between 8-24 hours. Passenger may choose any connection and receive STPC free of charge. There are reports that this may no longer be correct.
*Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the immigration authorities.

Website: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page

Anecdote: a code-share DOH-CMN within the 8-hour window did not disqualify me from STPC. In other words it is only QR operated flights that are used for connection time calculations.

I have STPC- What do I need to Do?
This is covered in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html.

How does the new Free stopover affect STPC?
QR have just launched a new free stopover policy. See http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...ease_plusqatar, http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/plusqatar.page and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...on-2017-1.html for details.
At the moment STPC sappears to be unaffected except for 'multi city' bookings. At this very early stage there is no clear practice as to who qualifies!

Updated 21-SEP-2022.
Print Wikipost

The QR STPC (stopover) policy?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
With the new Discover Qatar option, my understanding is that someone might be eligible for STPC, Discover Qatar, or both. If eligible for both, the advantage of Discover Qatar seems to be that you get to pick your hotel from the list, and the advantage of STPC is a meal voucher for longer transit times. Is that right?

I have a round-trip business class where I suspect QR may deny STPC on the outbound because there is a shorter connection I could have booked, but the inbound should be fine. The Discover Qatar booking page only allows booking one stay at a time. I booked the Oryx Rotana for the outbound, and will ask QR about STPC. I suppose I may as well as for STPC both ways, just in case they grant it on the outbound, to get the meal voucher. The risk is they could put us in a hotel further away than the Oryx; with a 7 AM departure I'd like to be as close as possible (the in-airport transit hotel would be fine with me).
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by anabolism
With the new Discover Qatar option, my understanding is that someone might be eligible for STPC, Discover Qatar, or both. If eligible for both, the advantage of Discover Qatar seems to be that you get to pick your hotel from the list, and the advantage of STPC is a meal voucher for longer transit times. Is that right?.
I think free STPC also gives you tranportation to and from hotel and is completely flexible wrt check.in/check-out times which menas when you check-in at e.g. 6 am you need not check out at noon. STPC also cares for your visa in case you need one.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
So, AKL-DOH-ARN, in at 22:10, out at 07:10, with a STPC hotel arranged and confirmed.

Arrival from AKL retimed to 23:35, taking the connection below the 8 hour threshold, and the departure to ARN retimed to 07:40, taking the connection back to 8h05m.

Don’t know in which order the flights were retimed, but if the AKL was done first, then what are the chances that the STPC has been automatically cancelled ?

Would these sorts of cancellation generate a STPC notification email, or is it a manual process ?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:47 pm

tried searching this forum but could not find an answer. I have a confirmed STPC of 20 hours. How much will my food voucher be worth?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:44 am

chilicat the amount varies according to the time and length of your stay. Reports on this thread say that the allowance is adequate for basic meals but does not allow for finer dining.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by chilicat
tried searching this forum but could not find an answer. I have a confirmed STPC of 20 hours. How much will my food voucher be worth?
14 hour from now until tomorrow morning and received QAR 100
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:30 am

Initially posted this in the newbie thread but this seems like a more appropriate thread.

I am flying ARN-DOH-DPS return in a couple of weeks on QR0170 and QR 0962.

this leaves us with a v long layover in Doha, ~11h, when we booked this flight this was the shortest layover but since then Qatar has rescheduled the flight to departing ARN 1.5hrs earlier, as this was a minor schedule change they were unwilling to accommodate us to a different airport which is fine but since we now arrive in Doha earlier (16:00) we have a shorter possible connection available at 17:35, original flight was scheduled to land in Doha at 17:30.

when I enquiries if they could accommodate us on this earlier flight it was denied as it was again only a "minor" schedule change. Is suspect this is correct but would be happy if it isn't.

however the thing I can't believe is correct is that now 3 different agents claim that we are not elidable for the free layover hotel as there is now a shorter possible connection even though this connection was not available at the time of booking. is this really correct?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
So, AKL-DOH-ARN, in at 22:10, out at 07:10, with a STPC hotel arranged and confirmed.

Arrival from AKL retimed to 23:35, taking the connection below the 8 hour threshold, and the departure to ARN retimed to 07:40, taking the connection back to 8h05m.

Don’t know in which order the flights were retimed, but if the AKL was done first, then what are the chances that the STPC has been automatically cancelled ?

Would these sorts of cancellation generate a STPC notification email, or is it a manual process ?
I'm in exactly the same situation. Does anyone know if the STPC hotel will have been automatically cancelled even though the connection time is now back over 8 hours? Not sure I trust the Qatar Reps to give me the right answer as trying to book it in the first place was a right palaver.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Cabbage
I'm in exactly the same situation. Does anyone know if the STPC hotel will have been automatically cancelled even though the connection time is now back over 8 hours? Not sure I trust the Qatar Reps to give me the right answer as trying to book it in the first place was a right palaver.
Wouldn't worry too much about whether it's booked or not. I was booked into the Melia (for today) and a few days ago checked the location, to see Google Maps note it as 'permanently closed'. In any case, fronted up at the desk today and was duly booked into Oryx Rotana. No stress and piece of cake.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by flashware
Wouldn't worry too much about whether it's booked or not. I was booked into the Melia (for today) and a few days ago checked the location, to see Google Maps note it as 'permanently closed'. In any case, fronted up at the desk today and was duly booked into Oryx Rotana. No stress and piece of cake.
Much appreciated - thank you ^
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Cabbage
Much appreciated - thank you ^
I have a 17 hours 55 minutes layover in Doha on Jan 2nd on my way back to the U.S. Its a One way ticket and there is no shorter connection available and ticket is N class.
I called QATAR Airlines U.S office and requested for transit accommodation. I was put on hold and then refused saying my ticket cost was too low (The lady said something about $400) and I will need to pay $125. I have checked my eticket and it says airfare of $523 plus taxes with a total of $731 which I have paid. Will somebody be able to tell me if I was just given a run around or actually I don't qualify for STPC.

Edited: I did the maths again after looking at my e-ticket and had to call them. Talked to a different person. It was a mistake in calculation on their end and they apologized and sent me the STPC confirmation via email.

Last edited by Azeem; Oct 5, 2017 at 1:06 pm
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson VIP, Hertz Gold, Accor Plat
3 of my immediate family are currently in South Africa on an R class ticket, due to return 19th Oct. A schedule change has put their transit time to over 8hrs, so I suggested they apply for STPC.

Calling the local QR office in SA, they were told that their ticket doesn't qualify for STPC. I advised HUCA and to be persistent, and the next attempt was met with the same response but with the added detail that an R class ticket isn't eligible.....

Has their been a policy change or is this a case of misinformed agents in the local office?

I'm minded to call one of the other offices on their behalf to try and get this sorted out.

I guess there is also the Discover +Qatar option as well.

Thoughts or advice?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by phoneticduck
3 of my immediate family are currently in South Africa on an R class ticket, due to return 19th Oct. A schedule change has put their transit time to over 8hrs, so I suggested they apply for STPC.

Calling the local QR office in SA, they were told that their ticket doesn't qualify for STPC. I advised HUCA and to be persistent, and the next attempt was met with the same response but with the added detail that an R class ticket isn't eligible.....

Has their been a policy change or is this a case of misinformed agents in the local office?

I'm minded to call one of the other offices on their behalf to try and get this sorted out.

I guess there is also the Discover +Qatar option as well.

Thoughts or advice?
I did STPC on an R class fare last week no issues, so doesn't sound right. Perhaps the value of their ticket isn't over the minimum amount (although I'd be surprised if that was the case)?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:23 pm

I have just used the search facility on the QR site looking for STPC. There was 1 (ONE) hit, https://www.qatarairways.com/en-dk/P...onditions.html!
A quick check through the website revealed NO STPC information otherwise!
Is STPC being quietly dropped? Or is it just IT that have forgotton to include it on the website?
If it is that STPC is being dropped by QR what happens to those who do not qualify for +Qatar? That is those with between 8 and 12 hours transit.
Does anyone have links to the CURRENT QR information about STPC?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: QR-G/OWS, QF-G, VA-G, NZ-S
oh..... that is an interesting development.....and needing further clarification from QR.. could be a big change... thanks for the alert

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.