Qatar - Is this the world's most bus obsessed airline?

Subscribe
Of course, we know that for transit through Doha, the occasional long bus trip is an accepted way of life. However, landing at MAN this morning, I noted spare jetways at terminal 2 but still we had to disembark to a bus. In 14 years of travel in and out of MAN this has happend perhaps 3-4 times. Is this normal for a QR arrival (i.e. do they not pay for use of the Jetway)?

Incidentally, I'm told the bus will be a thing of the past once Doha's ground breaking new airport. Perhaps I'm jaded and cynical but isn't the most ground breaking aspect of the new airport the time they're taking to open it?
4 times in 14 years seems a pretty good percentage, even for large airports. I think it has nothing to do with QR.

I find the bus transfer "thing" a very good and efficient "feature" in DOH, although I agree it would be more elegant to board from a jetway.
Your post is incoherent. How does a new DOH airport have anything to do with MAN? And if you've experienced this only 3-4 times in 14 years, why are you asking if it is normal?
Suspect the problem is with MAN charging high fees at certain times of day to use jetways at T2. Same thing used to happen with most KL and AF flights before they moved to T3. Even UA use buses for some flights. Not unique to QR.
Then you should try flying a regional airline to FRA or HAM. You will be bussed in 99% of arrivals/departures.

Busing even happens quite often in DXB.
Qatar - Is this the world's most bus obsessed airline?
QR has one of the best gates at BKK - right by immigration on arrival
Quote: Your post is incoherent. How does a new DOH airport have anything to do with MAN? And if you've experienced this only 3-4 times in 14 years, why are you asking if it is normal?
I assume English isn't your first language. I suggest you look up the word "Incidentally".
Quote: Suspect the problem is with MAN charging high fees at certain times of day to use jetways at T2. Same thing used to happen with most KL and AF flights before they moved to T3. Even UA use buses for some flights. Not unique to QR.
Thanks for confirming. I guess I've lead a charmed life at MAN.
Manchester Local Authority is simply trying to meet its targets for bus use modal share...
Quote: Suspect the problem is with MAN charging high fees at certain times of day to use jetways at T2.
I wonder if this is it -- money saving. Instead of all of the flippant and off-point replies to the OP (I think that the OP was saying that he almost never used a bus at MAN but did so only a recent QR flight, CAlex; I don't see how the OP was equating DOH and MAN, SeeBuyFly; and I also don't see how QR's long-haul, "five-star" claims have anything to do with regional airline service, kataka), I think that it's a point worth considering.

I have recalled taking the bus a few times on QR flights recently (at airports other than DOH), when it appeared as though a gate was available. I wouldn't be shocked if QR saved money by opting for the bus instead of a jetway. But we don't really know all of the variables -- does anyone know whether, indeed, some airports offer remote parking for less cost than a jetway, or whether there are some other economics that would make it cheaper for the carrier?
Gates could be empty due to late incoming planes? But I would think cost is the most likely explanation.
Quote: 4 times in 14 years seems a pretty good percentage, even for large airports. I think it has nothing to do with QR.

I find the bus transfer "thing" a very good and efficient "feature" in DOH, although I agree it would be more elegant to board from a jetway.
Bussing is "good and efficient" ?!? Wait, i need to check my calender.....yes it is actualy 2012! You must be kidding or working for QR....
Quote: I think that the OP was saying that he almost never used a bus at MAN but did so only a recent QR flight, CAlex
That was also my understanding, hence my comment. OP has no reason to complain, it's not like every time he arrived at MAN he used the Jetway, except on all QR flights. OP stated that in 14 years he used the bus 3-4 times, one of them being with QR; that number has no statistical relevance.

Quote:
Bussing is "good and efficient" ?!? Wait, i need to check my calender.....yes it is actualy 2012! You must be kidding or working for QR....
There are plenty of airports where you need to walk for a long time from airplane to Lounge or Immigration. In DOH you get on the bus (with AC, never very crowded) and you are dropped exactly where you need to go. In business class it is one of the shortest transfers I experienced from airplane to transit security and then to lounge. It does not compare with the speed of a small airport that has 6 jetways, one terminal and one lounge (that's my home OTP until 18 months ago), but it is much faster than a larger airport like LHR, BKK, HKG, DXB or FRA.

I also don't work for QR, although I would for a reasonable number of QR C vouchers
Quote: I also don't work for QR, although I would for a reasonable number of QR C vouchers
QR desperately need people to kick a**, not to kiss a**
Quote: Bussing is "good and efficient" ?!? Wait, i need to check my calender.....yes it is actualy 2012! You must be kidding or working for QR....
Buses are widely used at airports in Europe (German and Italian airports in particular) and are regarded as operationally efficient. The plane does not have to waste time pulling up to a jetway, can park much closet to the runway, etc. what is true is that many passengers don't like buses - but that doesn't make them inefficient! They tend to actually save the airline money and give them more operational flexibility.

Given the configuration of the terminals at DOH, I do think the bus system is the best solution on offer, especially with the use of premium buses. I'm not sure how else this can be done given the separate buildings for arrivals and premium passengers?