Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 5:58 am

Harveynics you may also like to look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...us-2016-a.html which has just opened.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:14 am

divmember according to QRs rules you either arrive in Doha as your final (ticketed) destination or you are in transit to another destination. Qatari Immigration laws apparently permit you to be in transit for maximum 24 hours. Even if you obtain your own visa and leave the airport you are still 'In transit'. Thus you will need two separate tickets which is more expensive than one combined ticket.
I very much doubt that you could obtain a ticket with a transit time of more than 24 hours.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by remdk
divmember according to QRs rules you either arrive in Doha as your final (ticketed) destination or you are in transit to another destination. Qatari Immigration laws apparently permit you to be in transit for maximum 24 hours. Even if you obtain your own visa and leave the airport you are still 'In transit'. Thus you will need two separate tickets which is more expensive than one combined ticket.
I very much doubt that you could obtain a ticket with a transit time of more than 24 hours.
QR fare rules often mention extended stopovers in DOH in conjunction with 'visit Qatar' activities. That's all I know, but it leads me to believe that if I wanted to add a few days in DOH in conjunction with a 'transit' though that hub a call to a human would make it happen, and since the rule doesn't mention a charge I'd expect there to be none.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
You can simply book a multi leg itinerary with QR website or an OTA to get a long (>24h) stopover in DOH. It should result in a higher price than with a short (<24h) stopover but not always that much.
You can also play with ITA matrix /minconnect option to price it and find which combination is cheaper before booking it.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 4:10 pm

Hi all, thanks for all of the helpful advice offered on this forum. I did a quick search and did not find any specific answers to my questions so am posting here.

I am planning a honeymoon trip to Cape Town in mid-December 2016. I am hoping to use AA miles to get there from Chicago and United miles to get back (or vice versa). From what I understand, one way to get to South Africa from the US using AA miles is to use Qatar Airways and the best way of finding award availability is through the British Airways website.

I have had trouble finding award availability for QR on the range of dates I am looking at (12/11/16-12/15/16) through the British Airways website (for ORD-CPT or ORD-JNB). What is the best method of finding award availability (ideally business class in this case) on QR to Africa? I know December is a high travel period, but I would have imagined there would be some availability still.

Are there any major issues to be aware of when booking a QR flight with AA miles that I am overlooking?

Thanks!
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by bkc21
Hi all, thanks for all of the helpful advice offered on this forum. I did a quick search and did not find any specific answers to my questions so am posting here.

I am planning a honeymoon trip to Cape Town in mid-December 2016. I am hoping to use AA miles to get there from Chicago and United miles to get back (or vice versa). From what I understand, one way to get to South Africa from the US using AA miles is to use Qatar Airways and the best way of finding award availability is through the British Airways website.

I have had trouble finding award availability for QR on the range of dates I am looking at (12/11/16-12/15/16) through the British Airways website (for ORD-CPT or ORD-JNB). What is the best method of finding award availability (ideally business class in this case) on QR to Africa? I know December is a high travel period, but I would have imagined there would be some availability still.

Are there any major issues to be aware of when booking a QR flight with AA miles that I am overlooking?

Thanks!
The BA website has long had issues showing award availability with QR.
More info - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26125055-post940.html
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:24 am

bkc21 welcome to Flyertalk

On the QR website under book a flight on the far right of first screen shown after filling journey airports and dates there is a button 'Book using Qmiles'. This apparently avoids having to have sufficient Qmiles but should show availability.

I recommend that you contact AA to get the best result.

Your dates are right on the very edge of, if not overlapping, QRs stop for award flights for Christmas and New Year.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:24 am

bkc21 welcome to Flyertalk

On the QR website under book a flight on the far right of first screen shown after filling journey airports and dates there is a button 'Book using Qmiles'. This apparently avoids having to have sufficient Qmiles but should show availability.

I recommend that you contact AA to get the best result.

Your dates are right on the very edge of, if not overlapping, QRs stop for award flights for Christmas and New Year.
Thanks!
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: QRPC + BAEC + KL Flying Blue
Hello FlyerTalk, my name is Kevin and I guess I am new here but like many others ..also at the point to decide which program to choose to connect specific miles to my upcoming trips in 2016. I am normally based in AMS and mostly fly intra-European flights and often a return flight to Asia and in some cases America for the summer. And for my study, I will frequently travel between UK-NL quite often. My goals are mainly focussed award flights and upgrades (and lounge access whenever possible).

I have made you this overview to give you a little bit more insight for this year.

I can conclude that QR is the best way to move up on status, which is in this case Silver. It offers OW Ruby and lounge acces whenever you travel with QR again. I am also planning to try out Business Class of LAN between MAD and FRA. However, the only thing is that even though the quick status jumps, it requires a lot more Qmiles to redeem a flight between AMS-LHR when comparing to BAEC with Avios. With the same amount of Avios, I could fly three times between that route. So, would recommend me to join QR or BA for this situation? And how well does QR upgrade from Economy to Business in terms of the amount of Qmiles and additional surcharges? And how long is your Silver status valid at QR?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can construct a ticket this way but it is true that the QR super discount through-fares do not allow stopovers in DOH
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnAx
QR fare rules often mention extended stopovers in DOH in conjunction with 'visit Qatar' activities. That's all I know, but it leads me to believe that if I wanted to add a few days in DOH in conjunction with a 'transit' though that hub a call to a human would make it happen, and since the rule doesn't mention a charge I'd expect there to be none.
From a D fare on PAR to BKK

Category 8 (Stopovers)
Code:
5 STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT
     LIMITED TO 1 FREE AND 4 AT USD 200.00 EACH.
       1 FREE IN EUROPE/AFRICA
       1 FREE IN AREA 3/AREA 1
       1 IN DOH EITHER OUT/IN AT USD 200.00
       4 IN AREA 3/AREA 1/EUROPE/AFRICA AT USD 200.00 EACH.
     A STOPOVER MAY NOT EXCEED 7 DAYS.
         NOTE -
          PURCHASE OF AN OFFICIAL QR HOLIDAY STOPOVER
          PACKAGE WILL SUPERSEDE THE ABOVE RULES STOPOVER
          FEES AND RESTRICTIONS. REFER TO QR OFFICES AND QR
          HOLIDAYS FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE OFFICIAL
          STOPOVER PACKAGE AND BOOKING PROCESS.
          PURCHASE OF ONEWORLD MIDDLE EAST PASS IN
          CONJUCTION WITH INTERNATIONAL QR TICKET WILL
          SUPERSEDE THE ABOVE RULE STOPOVER FEE AND
          RESTRICTIONS. REFER TO INFORMATION ON WORLD
          MIDDLE EAST PASS. AGENT SHOULD CONTACT QR OFFICE
          AND PROVIDE PNR DETAILS AND TICKET DETAILS OF
          BOTH LONG HAUL TICKET AND ME PASS TICKET.SAME
          INFORMATION SHOULD BE FORWARDED BY QR OFFICE.
          --------------------------------------------------
          ALL STOPOVER FOR THE PURPOSE OF CONNECTION STPC
          MAY BE PROVIDED FOR ITINERARIES WHERE SHORTEST
          STOPOVER OPTION IS MORE THAN 8 HOURS AND LESS
          THAN 24 HORUS FOR FULL DETAILS CONTACT LOCAL QR
          OFFICE OR REFER TO GGAIRQRSTPC IN AMADEUS.
          -----------------------------------------------
          IF THE STOPOVER IN DOHA BETWEEN CONNECTING
          FLIGHTS IS LESS THAN 24 HOURS PLEASE NOTE THAT
          THE BAGS WILL ALWAYS BE CHECKED THROUGH TO THE
          FINAL DESTINATION.THE PASSENGERS SHOULD CARRY
          EVERYTHING THEY NEED IN DOHA IN A HAND BAG.
          -----------------------------------------------
          IN CASE THE PASSENGER NEEDS THE BAGS IN DOHA
          TWO SEPARATE TICKETS NEED TO BE BOUGHT.
          --------------------
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: AC SuperElite // Marriott Gold Elite
Hi folks, first time QR flyer with a trip MCT-DOH-JFK in regional F to international J coming up in a month (A320 to A350). I've looked into these two things and seem to be spinning in circles a bit. I hope someone on here can help. I'm really confused as to the expected seating on the A320. I have read that they are rolling out new reverse herringbone seating on some of their machines, and that they are mostly being used on longer flights. That said, it seems like they are *sometimes* being used on MCT-DOH and on the QR website in every case of an A320 being used it says that it has flat beds. How can I figure out what to expect?

Also, I've read that QR will not have enough A350s to operate all the supposed A350 routes they have coming up. I chose this routing to try the new A350 so I am nervous that it might get pulled on the DOH-JFK segment. Should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:19 am

stuartma you need to look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ays-fleet.html.

The A320 is a narrow bodied aircraft and the J cabin is 2+2 side by side, It would be difficult to have reverse herringbone seats in this aircraft. You will most probably fly in a shorthaul A320 with recliners.

The A350, A380 and B787 are wide bodied aircraft and all have reverse herringbone in J.

QR is experiencing delays in deliveries of longhaul aircraft, especially A350s so aircraft type DOH-JFK is a bit of a lottery.

Whilst they may exist I know of no plans to introduce reverse herringbone to other aircraft. With 3 exceptions all the A330s and A340s have all been refurbished with flat seats.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: AC SuperElite // Marriott Gold Elite
@remdk Thank you for your quick reply. I appreciate it! I may be wrong in calling the J seats "reverse herringbone" - I'm referring to the ones referred to in the Complete Guide as follows: Airbus A320 320L: horizontal J, B/E Diamond seat in 2-2 config

Apologies for any confusion.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:10 am

Hi, i am a first time QR flyer ... and i have some dummy questions
my flights will be OSL_DOH-BKK.. on 787 and 380
1) would have been better to fly to/backfrom SIN to try the 350?
2) do we really get pijamas on the 380s?

sorry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.