Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 19, 12, 10:08 pm   #1

OZ F or QR C HKG-IAH

I know that OZ F is fantastic. I have the following trip from HKG-IAH as follows:

HKG--BKK TG F
BKK-ICN OZ C
ICN-ORD F
ORD-IAH C /F

I could do QR HKG-DOH C
And DOH-IAH C

I am wondering if using less miles, and only one stop is worth it. Either way, I leave late at night from HKG, but is giving up the OZ long haul F and the familiar F trip through BKK worth trying QR C and and a few hours in the DOH premium lounge, which I have never done. The Trip times are about the same. The way I have it now, I get a F leg from HKG-BKK on TG F and a long F leg on ICN-ORD. QR is all C, although it has the 3.5 hour stop in DOH. The current schedule has 2.5 hours in BKK and 2.5 hours in ICN, which should be enough time for a shower before the longer haul. Is QR C experience worth the switch?
miloteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:00 am   #2
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), US & BA Emerald, EY Silv, IHG Plat, SPG Gold
For me: OZ F - no brainer.

If you fly with QR during the next 30 days or so, please remember there is no booze in DOH Premium Terminal during Ramadan (starts tonight). Might not be important/relevant for you, but lots of folks complain about this...
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:13 am   #3

No booze-No go

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
For me: OZ F - no brainer.

If you fly with QR during the next 30 days or so, please remember there is no booze in DOH Premium Terminal during Ramadan (starts tonight). Might not be important/relevant for you, but lots of folks complain about this...
I am flying in October, but no booze is a deal killer. I love OZ, but am interested in flying that long flight from DOH-IAH on QR if the soft product is great. Going over from IAH, I scored some of those SQ F seats. I am OK with going C on the way home, but do have the F OZ already booked.
miloteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 12, 5:47 am   #4

Programs: UA 1K, QR Pt, EK Au, TK E+, CX/AF Ag, SPG LifePt, IC Pt/RA, Hyatt Dia, Shang Dia, Marr Au, Hilt Ag
Lower cost and only one stop vs. a chance for OZ F. Tough choice; if QR is novel for you, then I would strongly consider that.

Even though end-to-end journey time is the same, shuffling through one airport versus three is a significant advantage: Connecting through BKK is not much fun, especially if you don't have access to the TG F lounge (would you on this itinerary with inbound F?), and the international-to-domestic connection in ORD will be a real pain, possibly involving a train ride, and with likely long lines to get to your TSA encounter.

I love the ultra-long flights like QR C. Of course that part of the journey won't be quite the same as the OZ F experience, but it will be nice, with a fully-flat seat. Plus entertainment should be better on QR.
mecabq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 12, 1:45 am   #5

Programs: QR Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by miloteddy View Post
I know that OZ F is fantastic. I have the following trip from HKG-IAH as follows:

HKG--BKK TG F
BKK-ICN OZ C
ICN-ORD F
ORD-IAH C /F

I could do QR HKG-DOH C
And DOH-IAH C

I am wondering if using less miles, and only one stop is worth it. Either way, I leave late at night from HKG, but is giving up the OZ long haul F and the familiar F trip through BKK worth trying QR C and and a few hours in the DOH premium lounge, which I have never done. The Trip times are about the same. The way I have it now, I get a F leg from HKG-BKK on TG F and a long F leg on ICN-ORD. QR is all C, although it has the 3.5 hour stop in DOH. The current schedule has 2.5 hours in BKK and 2.5 hours in ICN, which should be enough time for a shower before the longer haul. Is QR C experience worth the switch?
Three Stops for the OZ flight?!?! I would choose QR without thinking! Their C product on their 777 is AMAZING; plus 5 star service all the way!
QatarA340 is offline   Reply With Quote