FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   Transit in IAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1337825-transit-iad.html)

btang Apr 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Transit in IAD

I just booked a QR flight from HKG-IAD via DOH, and onwards from IAD-SFO on UA. I will have approximately 2 hours and 25 minutes of connection time. This is my first time transitting in IAD and I'm not sure about the connection process. Can anyone advise of the procedure? Also, does QR have interline agreement with UA? Is it possible that I can check through my bags from HKG-SFO and have my UA boarding pass printed in HKG?

Oh, I'll be flying in Business if that helps!

btang Apr 21, 2012 2:17 pm

No one has any idea?

Often1 Apr 22, 2012 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by btang (Post 18427136)
I just booked a QR flight from HKG-IAD via DOH, and onwards from IAD-SFO on UA. I will have approximately 2 hours and 25 minutes of connection time. This is my first time transitting in IAD and I'm not sure about the connection process. Can anyone advise of the procedure? Also, does QR have interline agreement with UA? Is it possible that I can check through my bags from HKG-SFO and have my UA boarding pass printed in HKG?

Oh, I'll be flying in Business if that helps!

1. Presume that you have by now spoken directly with QR to confirm that they will interline to UA. Always important to speak with the horse's mouth on things such as this.

2. There is no transit at IAD. You will enter the USA at IAD and then proceed as an ordinary domestic pax to SFO. 2:25 is a very tight connection.

3. As a QR pax, you will complete entry formalities at the Intl. Arrivals Bldg and then recheck your luggage at UA desk (if you can't interline, you will take your bags upstairs to departures and check them with UA).

4. You will then proceed back through the security checkpoint and out to your UA gate which will be on the C or D concourse and you will access by Aerotrain or people mover bus depending on which concourse. Security at IAD can be lengthy (hopefully you are in F or have some other access to the premium line).

Have no idea what time of day we are talking about here, but there are 8 non-stops IAD-SFO. I would book the later one and catch the earlier if everything is on schedule.

btang Apr 23, 2012 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 18442548)
1. Presume that you have by now spoken directly with QR to confirm that they will interline to UA. Always important to speak with the horse's mouth on things such as this.

2. There is no transit at IAD. You will enter the USA at IAD and then proceed as an ordinary domestic pax to SFO. 2:25 is a very tight connection.

3. As a QR pax, you will complete entry formalities at the Intl. Arrivals Bldg and then recheck your luggage at UA desk (if you can't interline, you will take your bags upstairs to departures and check them with UA).

4. You will then proceed back through the security checkpoint and out to your UA gate which will be on the C or D concourse and you will access by Aerotrain or people mover bus depending on which concourse. Security at IAD can be lengthy (hopefully you are in F or have some other access to the premium line).

Have no idea what time of day we are talking about here, but there are 8 non-stops IAD-SFO. I would book the later one and catch the earlier if everything is on schedule.

I'll be taking the 5:20 p.m. UA flight to SFO in F. Does that help clarify things? Also, I asked Qatar and they do indeed interline bags as all my flight segments are on one United itinerary.

btang Apr 23, 2012 1:43 am

I also remember searching up some of the older threads and saw someone mentioning about a diamond lane security in the arrivals level instead of the departure level. Do you know anything about how that works out?

Often1 Apr 23, 2012 6:19 am

Originally Posted by btang (Post 18443801)
I also remember searching up some of the older threads and saw someone mentioning about a diamond lane security in the arrivals level instead of the departure level. Do you know anything about how that works out?

This is a tight connection, but doable. Even though your bags are interlined, you will still pick them up at IAD, move them through CBP and then drop them with UA before proceeding.

You will go back through the security checkpoint and then proceed to your C-D gate UA domestic flight. The flight you are on is always overbooked, so make sure that you are at the gate on time.

myvoip07 Apr 24, 2012 9:44 pm

Looks like i also have to follow the same as i am also returning from Doha(OR) via IAD(2:55pm) and have a connecting flight to ORD(5:02pm) via UA. As metioned above i have to take my bags out at IAD and hand over to UA after CBF for ORD journey. Is the international arrival and domestic departure at IAD on the same concourse/terminal?
I will be also traveling from ORD-IAD-DOH, so do i need to change concourse/terminal?
Has anyone traveled from ORD-IAD-DOH and vice versa share their experience[s]?

btang Apr 24, 2012 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by myvoip07 (Post 18456018)
Looks like i also have to follow the same as i am also returning from Doha(OR) via IAD(2:55pm) and have a connecting flight to ORD(5:02pm) via UA. As metioned above i have to take my bags out at IAD and hand over to UA after CBF for ORD journey. Is the international arrival and domestic departure at IAD on the same concourse/terminal?
I will be also traveling from ORD-IAD-DOH, so do i need to change concourse/terminal?
Has anyone traveled from ORD-IAD-DOH and vice versa share their experience[s]?

I don't think so. Qatar arrives in one of those mobile buggy gates, and all pax will be transported to the Main building. From there, you have to go through the entire process, recheck bags, go through security again, head to the United Concourse (C or D I think?) via Air Train.

Often1 Apr 28, 2012 5:18 pm

All international arrivals except UA are at the main terminal IAB. UA is at the C concourse. Arriving on an intl. non-UA flight means that you go through exactly the same process you would as if you were originating at IAD (except that you drop your bags downstairs at the IAB instead of upstairs on the departure level).