Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR Elite Status - Does It Help? (Any Tangible Benefits?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat

I'm considering starting to fly QR and wondering about whether I should bank miles to a US airline's program or attain status on QR.

Are there any tangible benefits when one is an elite?

Also, does UA Gold status have any recognition when flying QR?

Anything for Jet Airways Platinum status?

Would like to hear everyone's experiences with regard to the above!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, GA PLAT, SQ Gold
Depends which class you fly in , there are some added advantages when flying Y access to the lounges and higher up on list for upgrades , but QR does not upgrade unless it has too.

If you mainly fly Business , other than the extra luggage , I don't see any great advantage to be honest .

The miles are pretty easy to use though , which is why i stay with QR.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:36 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Not easy for award upgrades though.

Got op'd up from Y - J from DOH - FCO in Jan.
Managed to get transfer desk staff to indicate my friend as SFU. And he was op'd up as well.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: EBS, EY Gold Eite, EK Gold, QR Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by lsed
Not easy for award upgrades though.

Got op'd up from Y - J from DOH - FCO in Jan.
Managed to get transfer desk staff to indicate my friend as SFU. And he was op'd up as well.
What is SFU? I have an idea, but it would be interesting to get to know how this work.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: OWS, *A G
Suitable for upgrade
Old Mar 19, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: EBS, EY Gold Eite, EK Gold, QR Platinum, Accor Gold
So as QR Gold the system dont automaticly put us first in line?

An experience a few weeks back makes me a but courius - flight fully booked in eco, no op up for me. But while standing at the conwayer a burgundy told me he gave the gate agent in DOH 500 rial (clearly into his own pocket) to get the gate to override and get him the up. I didn't believe him then, but could this be true/possible?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:12 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Etihad Gold
Originally Posted by RUN4FUN

An experience a few weeks back makes me a but courius - flight fully booked in eco, no op up for me. But while standing at the conwayer a burgundy told me he gave the gate agent in DOH 500 rial (clearly into his own pocket) to get the gate to override and get him the up. I didn't believe him then, but could this be true/possible?
I am Silver and got bumped off a BKK flight, still don't know the reason because Qatar won't respond to my E-Mails. Two in front also bumped off and they were first time flyers and got automatically upgraded. I had to argue for over 30 minutes that I needed to make this flight due to an onward connection via BKK. Supervisor gave a thumps down and told ground crew that I would have to wait 8 hours until next flight. However ground crew overruled the Supervisor and upgraded me to business albeit with an economy meal etc. So SFU maybe the case who knows. Next time I will wear my lomg sleeve shirt instead of my short sleeve one that is for sure.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:14 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Etihad Gold

Sometimes I think Qatar don't really care about your status when push comes to shove.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.