Wiki Posts
Search

Doha to Scotland

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Doha to Scotland

Hi,

Realise this has been discussed recently - but does anyone have any insight on the liklihood of this happening in the near future?

Best regards,

ts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: QR Gold
You will generally find out around 6 months before, I would have expected BHX rather than GLA (or EDI), but you never know!

So within 6 months... I doubt it..

PS Welcome to Flyertalk...
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:21 am
Original Poster

thanks for the reply - will keep eyes open
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:38 pm

I just heard a 4 x weekly service to EDI will be announced shortly along with changes to some other UK destinations.

I'm interested as I currently use EK ex GLA. I've had a brief look around here for info and a browse about the QR website. Any comments on how they compare with EK - hard product, soft product, FF scheme, IRROPS, in fact any aspect of what is on offer?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: EK Gold; BA Silver; GF Silver; HH Diamond, SPG Plat; IHG Plat
Hi

Have flown both Emirates and Qatar 3-4 times each in J over the last 2 years from GLA/MAN/LHR to India/SE Asia/Australia.

Hard product

EK A380 beats anything QR can currently offer....but QR777 (spacious, proper flat beds) beats all else. QR A330/340 and EK 777/330/340 about the same but beware of sometimes old EK config - reclining armchairs; previously from GLA but think they have updated the aircraft since the start of the summer season.

Soft product

Food and Drink - I find QR to be better. Nice selection of wines and the Arabic meze is very good.

Amenities - was a tie when QR had Molton Brown v EK Bvlgari but now QR have gone with Ferragamo - containing lip balm, hand cream and fancy water, then EK.

Lounges

EK better at MAN, QR uses a really poor contract lounge. Same at LHR (both good). EK at GLA poor, contract lounge again.

EK at DXB good but large.

QR premium terminal at DOH. When good, better than EK. When not good, worse. So hit and miss.

FF scheme

EK earning rates poor and not many partners, but Gold status rewarded well - upgrades etc. QR can earn miles with more partners - I credit to BMI/BA - so don't have status with QR and so can't give comparison to EK in terms of upgrades etc.

Only other difference is that EK give chauffeur drive, whereas QR don't, at either end. Having said that, it would be great to see QR at EDI
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Caledonian
Hi...
<snip>
Thanks for the info.

I have a couple of trips between now and the end of the year booked with EK, but will hold off making a booking for early next year until the EDI flights come out to see if there are introductory bargains.

I'd be hoping for a status match - I'm Silver just now but will be Gold by the end of the year. I've read mixed reports on the success of this so is there any preferred method to boost the chances of success eg request locally or via Doha. Make a booking first or wait until after a first flight before requesting?

Lounges won't make much difference for me as both alternatives are contract lounges, although with going double daily recently I suppose there's more chance of EK opening a lounge of their own than QR.

EDI is closer to home for me so loss of chauffeur drive wouldn't be such a big thing, although it's a great perk.

I usually use miles for upgrading but have seen mixed reports on this. How available are they ex UK, and also from DOH to any of HKG, BKK or KUL?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Doh to edi

Hello,

Just revisting this thread - anyone have anymore news on the liklihood of the Doha to Edinburgh service and if so when it may start - if at all?

Best,

ts
Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:27 pm

787 deliveries are delayed so probably no announcement until these are firmed up.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:26 am

Here it is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...019495?SThisFB
Old Nov 20, 2013, 5:03 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Some additional info:
2 class 787 with 22 in Business and 232 in the back.

Flies Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

Flight QR 027 will depart Doha at 0800 and arrive in Edinburgh at 1315 local time. Return service QR 028 will leave Edinburgh at 1445 and land in Doha at 2340
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:29 pm

Amazing, and it will only be a short transfer time from/to Perth, perfect !!!

Last edited by FromTheRail; Nov 20, 2013 at 10:38 pm
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:10 am

Inaugural QR 028

Originally Posted by FromTheRail
Amazing, and it will only be a short transfer time from/to Perth, perfect !!!
Certainly is. I'll be taking the Highland Chieftain train from Perth to Haymarket, then the Airlink 100 bus which operates every ten minutes.

If any other forum members will be travelling on the inaugural QR 028, 1445 EDI-DOH on May 28th, and are interested in a meet up, then please send me a PM.

Last edited by Nuff Said; Jan 18, 2014 at 6:24 am Reason: Minor correction.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Nuff Said
Certainly is. I'll be taking the Highland Chieftain train from Perth to Haymarket, then the Airlink 100 bus which operates every ten minutes.

If any other forum members will be travelling on the inaugural QR 028, 1445 EDI-DOH on May 28th, and are interested in a meet up, then please send me a PM.
I was actually meaning the other Perth, the one that has sunshine and heat
Old Jan 19, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
Originally Posted by FromTheRail
I was actually meaning the other Perth, the one that has sunshine and heat
Oh, you mean this one.
Yesterday it was 43 degrees and 52 houses in the Perth hills were burnt out in a bushfire.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 7:12 pm

As this thread relates to QR's new EDI service, it was logical to assume that it was Perth in Scotland that FromTheRail was referring to.

Last edited by Nuff Said; Jan 19, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.