Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Paid transit hotel from QR vs find your own hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:45 am
Original Poster

I have 22 hrs transit in Doha and QR confirmed that I am not eligible for free transit accommodation and I need to pay US$125 x 2 (2 pax) if I need their service.

Should I get a hotel /taxi / visa by my own or is it worth to pay $250? Does anyone have any experience with reasonable transit hotel. I am from Canada and will get on arrival visa. Expedia has hotels with airport shuttle for about $150.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:34 pm

If you already know your arrival and later departure times, I suggest booking online now and at least you have a guaranteed room. (Or rooms). I say this because the hotel market in Doha can be remarkably fickle. Empty for months on end, then suddenly isolated nights where you can't get a room for love nor money.

The transit hotel that Qatar Airways uses most is called the Oryx Hotel, which is situated right next to the airport and overlooking the runway. It's managed by Rotana Hotels and good online rates can be obtained in advance. Due to the convoluted road layout, the transfer time to and from the airport will take around 10-15 minutes, despite the airport being within spitting distance.

Other hotels are quite far out and if you have to negotiate the rush hour traffic along the corniche to west bay, it could take you anything upwards from 30mins each direction.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Jim for the advice. Rotana seems to be the best option. Also I am looking at Gloria Hotel which has good rating in trip adviser.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Stayed at Oryx Hotel and it's very nice... i would not pay the full price from hotels.com but the Qatar rate is not bad as it will include food and transfers (or should do)...
Old Dec 4, 2011, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Jim Spence

Other hotels are quite far out and if you have to negotiate the rush hour traffic along the corniche to west bay, it could take you anything upwards from 30mins each direction.
Originally Posted by CalgaryLankan
Thank you Jim for the advice. Rotana seems to be the best option. Also I am looking at Gloria Hotel which has good rating in trip adviser.
OP is there for 22 hours so there is plenty of time to see/explore Doha, if they so wish. I would book another hotel closer to the corniche and visit the Museum/Souks/malls etc.

Personally, I wouldn't like to be trapped at the airport for such an extended period.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:37 am

We flew KTM-DOH-YUL-DOH-KTM for the holidays but were only entitled to STPC on the return. QR put us up in the Movenpick Tower & Suites and included a fantastic dinner buffet (smoked salmon, steak, local fare...).

On the outbound we stayed with a friend who lives in Doha, but there are any number of pay-for hotels available of varying price and quality.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 8:42 am
Original Poster

I stayed at Gloria Hotel near Islamic Art Museum and found it is a good choice. Very reasonable hotel, free airport transportation, free breakfast and failrly good service too for overnight stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.