Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Award: Dragonair flight HKG-KTM is not bookable.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2009, 9:47 am
AHO
Original Poster

According to Qantas agent, Dragonair flight between HKG-KTM(Kathmandu) is not bookable by their system.

One of the agent said; These flights(KA127/128) are marketed as Dragonair but operated by Cathay Pacific, therefore cannot be booked as award travel???

I haven't booked Dragonair flight as Qantas award ticket, so I have no idea if it's true. I have tried 3 phone calls.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The agent is wrong. Dragonair joined OW a couple of years ago. Prior to that they would have been correct as Dragonair was not a QFF partner.

Try again.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 3:49 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by AHO
According to Qantas agent, Dragonair flight between HKG-KTM(Kathmandu) is not bookable by their system....
The agent might have been saying that there was zero availability?
Old Aug 31, 2009, 7:02 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
It's the other way around - these are KA operated flights, with a CX-codeshare.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:41 pm
AHO
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og
The agent might have been saying that there was zero availability?
No, the agents said "there are no such flight" or "the flight is marketes as Dragonairr but operated by Cathay(which is not), so you cannot book(which is also wierd)"
I checked award seat availability at BA.com before I called.
There were 4 award seats available on both out-/inbound flights.

As of today, there are still award seats available on the dates I want to book.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AHO
No, the agents said "there are no such flight" or "the flight is marketes as Dragonairr but operated by Cathay(which is not), so you cannot book(which is also wierd)"
I checked award seat availability at BA.com before I called.
There were 4 award seats available on both out-/inbound flights.
Looking on the OW timetable, the flights are operated by KA and also have a CX codeshare

Is the BA system showing availability under the KA flight number or the CX number?

Dave
Old Sep 2, 2009, 2:27 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
CX makes special inventory available to BAEC (this is because MPC is/was joint with BA), so it is entirely possible that there is award inventory that is bookable by BAEC but not available to QFF (or Aadvantage, etc.). You would have to use CX or BA to redeem for these awards in this case.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 7:13 am
AHO
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
CX makes special inventory available to BAEC (this is because MPC is/was joint with BA), so it is entirely possible that there is award inventory that is bookable by BAEC but not available to QFF (or Aadvantage, etc.). You would have to use CX or BA to redeem for these awards in this case.
I made three more phone calls. I can confirm number_6's above statement.
Qantas agents said, Dragonair flights are not available for Qantas FFP(yet).
Old Sep 2, 2009, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AHO
I made three more phone calls. I can confirm number_6's above statement.
Qantas agents said, Dragonair flights are not available for Qantas FFP(yet).
Might be worth writing a letter to QFF. These flights should be bookable.

Do you have problems redeeming awards on any other Dragonair routes?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:43 am
AHO
Original Poster

I resurrect this old thread.

I have problem when I try to book Dragonair flight between Hong Kong(HKG) and Qingdao(TAO), China.

Both Cathay's and BAEC's websites show as available (4 business class seats) and even AAdvantage has access to the award seat when I called to them.

But, Qantas FF agents(I called them 4 times) say there is no availability at all.
I wonder if there is some sync problem with Dragonair system. Do you have any idea?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by AHO
I resurrect this old thread.

I have problem when I try to book Dragonair flight between Hong Kong(HKG) and Qingdao(TAO), China.

Both Cathay's and BAEC's websites show as available (4 business class seats) and even AAdvantage has access to the award seat when I called to them.

But, Qantas FF agents(I called them 4 times) say there is no availability at all.
I wonder if there is some sync problem with Dragonair system. Do you have any idea?
it is possible that cx has more availability in it's system, as might baec if the earlier posts still hold true. and it is possible therefore that seats might not be available to other partners.

if you had an AA account you could ring and see if they can see availability. if they can then there might be a problem with the qf system...

but generally there days there doesn't seem to be any problem booking ka or cx flights via AFDC, at least for popular intra-Asian flights I have been booking recently suck as pek/pvg/bkk/sin and hkg and vv.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 9:03 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
it is possible that cx has more availability in it's system, as might baec if the earlier posts still hold true. and it is possible therefore that seats might not be available to other partners.
Definite possibility, after AHO's tried four times.

I've looked a couple of months back (am MPO) and saw that availability too. Of course I dunno AHO's dates of travel.

but generally there days there doesn't seem to be any problem booking ka or cx flights via AFDC, at least for popular intra-Asian flights I have been booking recently suck as pek/pvg/bkk/sin and hkg and vv.
What's AFDC?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by percysmith
Definite possibility, after AHO's tried four times.

I've looked a couple of months back (am MPO) and saw that availability too. Of course I dunno AHO's dates of travel.

What's AFDC?
oops... autocorrect ... somehow qfff turns into AFDC.

according to google the AFDC is either:

aid to families with dependent children... or the alternative fuels and advanced vehicle data centre of the us department of energy. exactly what you'd want for your autocorrect...
Old Oct 14, 2011, 4:56 am
AHO
Original Poster

Thank you for all your replies.

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF

if you had an AA account you could ring and see if they can see availability. if they can then there might be a problem with the qf system...

As I wrote, AA, CX, BA could see the availability, but not QF agents.

More oddly I could see KA C award availability between HKG-TAO on QF website on the date I wanted to travel after I have "hacked" the source of HTML page, but same problem. Not bookable.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AHO
Thank you for all your replies.

As I wrote, AA, CX, BA could see the availability, but not QF agents.

More oddly I could see KA C award availability between HKG-TAO on QF website on the date I wanted to travel after I have "hacked" the source of HTML page, but same problem. Not bookable.
oh yes, sorry, I see you mention AA as well.

perhaps a call and request to speak to a supervisor, or have a supervisor speak to IT. if a seat is there across all those programs then it should be bookable for qf...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.