Don't mention the bus

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:04 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Don't mention the bus

Oh dear, now people are trying to stay on the 744s rather than the flying computer. And an A-180? If you believe what the media says.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/too-la...q.html?page=-1
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:08 pm

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Well, technically it's Miranda Devine's opinion piece rather than a piece of actual journalism. And Miranda's never really been known to let the facts stand in the way of pushing her viewpoint (on policing, fire hazard reduction, global warming, teaching theory, and all of those other pet topics of hers)
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
As I posted on AFF regarding this article:
(http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/comm...tml#post246037)

Here's a perfect example of the "quality" journalism of the author:
The bureau also reported "other occurrences" involving similar anomalous ADIRU behaviour" in September 2006 and December 2008. "But in neither case was there an in-flight upset."

In March the bureau investigated another computer glitch which led to a tail strike involving a United Arab Emirates Airbus A340-500 during take-off at Melbourne Airport. The investigation found "an incorrect weight had been inadvertently entered into the laptop when completing the take-off performance calculation prior to departure based on a take-off weight that was 100 tonnes below the actual take-off weight of the aircraft".

The result was the plane did not produce enough power to take off and although the pilots managed to override the computer and apply maximum thrust, the plane's tail hit the runway. ...
What has "an incorrect weight had been inadvertently entered into the laptop" got to do with "anomalous ADIRU behaviour".

More to the point: "... the pilots managed to override the computer and apply maximum thrust ...". What? Increasing throttle to full power is overriding the computer???

Trying to make tenuous connections is one thing - promoting unrelated issues as linked in order to push a point destroys any creditability the author may have had ...

Last edited by serfty; Jun 18, 2009 at 7:28 pm
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; QF 1P; DJ WP; CX DIA, EK GL, HH DIAMOND; PC Spire RA; SPG PLAT; HERTZ PC; Avis CC
Oh great. Miranda Devine's has become an expert on aviation. I thought we were safe.

I can image the next headlin:

Expert admits planes are held aloft only by the wings
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:42 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Always good for a little chuckle. And when all those premium pax want to be back on their 744s, then there will be even more seats left for me. Love it.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 2:40 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by og
And an A-180? If you believe what the media says.
It's the bloatbus lite
Old Jun 18, 2009, 6:04 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
A-180, I did hear that one when I flew on it in March. I now understand what it means.
And regards the QF pilot about devaluing skills....obviously a prune contributor because that is all they talk about.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
And regards the QF pilot about devaluing skills....obviously a prune contributor because that is all they talk about.
But that is worth talking about. It's a very serious issue, and it's being talked about all over the industry, not just on PPRuNe. In fact, the theory was being discussed years ago; what has now changed is that we may be seeing the practical effects of the erosion in basic skills, in the form of actual accidents and serious incidents.

The guff about the aircraft is probably wildly overblown, though. IIRC, the 747 did much worse than this on EIS - though I were only an ickle kiddie then.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Miranda Devine is a waste of time and space. The fact the Herald carries her says a lot about the death by a thousand cuts of journalism at that paper.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 7:51 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Look on the bright side, at least she didn't cite Dick(____) Smith, Mr "affordable safety" in the article.

We get him polluting the Newcastle Herald every few weeks, telling us all how we're bound to have a mid-air at NTL because the RAAF controllers don't work on weekends - and we all know that a CTAF with one movement every 45 minutes is choked-sky deathrap - right?
Old Jun 21, 2009, 8:46 pm

I read the article by Ms Devine and thought it might be a job for Media Watch because although it had her name as the by-line it certainly didn't sound like something she would / could write.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Always good for a little chuckle. And when all those premium pax want to be back on their 744s, then there will be even more seats left for me. Love it.
I'm with you... I'd love to have a pair of seats next to the window by myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.