Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tom Bradley or Terminal 4 LAX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2009, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, A/Club Platinum,Hyatt Gold,Marriott,LHW Club, DL,AA,US Silver,BA,AC,CO
Tom Bradley or Terminal 4 LAX

I will be flying business class on QF26, LAX to Auckland,which leaves from Terminal 4. My question is regarding the lounges. There is a business lounge at both term 4 and Tom Bradley. I have a really really long layover, and wondered which is the best to use? I certainly have plenty of time to transfer over. Seems that the dedicated Qantas lounge is Term 4, but is the BA/QF/CP lounge better? Just trying to get best lounge use. Also, can I interchange the lounges in that way? LAX is not my normal transiting airport.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 7:58 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
You don't have a choice! You cannot reach the TBIT lounges unless you have a boarding pass for a flight that departs from TBIT. Luckily the T4 F lounge is better than the TBIT F lounge, less luckily the T4 J lounge is about the same (less crowded and better furnished but with less food, as it is an AC). LAX doesn't allow lounge hopping for the most part due to security restrictions in reaching airside and limited airside transfers. TBIT to T4 is strictly landside unless you are clearing immigration.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:34 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by number_6
You don't have a choice! You cannot reach the TBIT lounges unless you have a boarding pass for a flight that departs from TBIT. Luckily the T4 F lounge is better than the TBIT F lounge, less luckily the T4 J lounge is about the same (less crowded and better furnished but with less food, as it is an AC). LAX doesn't allow lounge hopping for the most part due to security restrictions in reaching airside and limited airside transfers. TBIT to T4 is strictly landside unless you are clearing immigration.
While I doubt Qantas would let you on it if you weren't departing on a flight out of TBIT, Qantas definitely runs an airside bus between T4 and TBIT out of gate 44. The bus runs every 10 - 20 minutes. I can't recall when it starts running, but it runs until after midnight.

To the lounge question, the food in TBIT is definitely better than T4. Pizza, some sandwiches, a lobster bisque, and various hors d'œuvres are the norm. But, as mentioned, it tends to be crowded (and probably more so now that QF operates flights to SYD out of TBIT) and there's no space to do any work (no cubes or anything of the like).
Old Mar 26, 2009, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The airside bus runs from T4 to TBIT on the hour and every ½ hour from 4PM daily. I believe the TBIT to T4 return is on the ¼ and ¾ hour marks.

You will need to show your BP indicating your Qantas operated flight departing from the other terminal before you can employ this bus.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 8:43 pm

We are on QF94 on an AAdvantage award in F. According to the QF website we will need our BP and a Qantas FF card to access the lounge. I don't have a card although I did join the QF mileage club to check award seat availability. What credentials will we (son and me) need? What will we need to access the SYD lounge for QF11 home?
Old Mar 26, 2009, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your F boarding passes on their ownshould be most acceptable!

The part about FF card relates to those not travelling First class but would have First Class lounge access due to Status.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 7:07 pm

Thanks Serfty!- Here is text from the QF website (italics mine):

Qantas Lounges
Whether you are travelling in Business or First and/or a Platinum or Gold Qantas Frequent Flyer, including Qantas Club members you may have access to a Qantas lounge.* When you arrive at a lounge, show your Qantas Club card, or your Platinum or Gold Frequent Flyer card with your ticket or boarding pass.

In the context of your answer it makes sense, but is pretty confusing as presented on their website!
Old Mar 28, 2009, 1:51 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Originally Posted by kenish
Thanks Serfty!- Here is text from the QF website (italics mine):

Qantas Lounges
Whether you are travelling in Business or First and/or a Platinum or Gold Qantas Frequent Flyer, including Qantas Club members you may have access to a Qantas lounge.* When you arrive at a lounge, show your Qantas Club card, or your Platinum or Gold Frequent Flyer card with your ticket or boarding pass.

In the context of your answer it makes sense, but is pretty confusing as presented on their website!
This part of the website is a little clearer on access entitlements for F pax.

And this part details what F pax will cop...err, look forward to

And I agree it can be hard to determine what entitlement one has in certain circumstances.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 11:34 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by merrickdb
While I doubt Qantas would let you on it if you weren't departing on a flight out of TBIT, Qantas definitely runs an airside bus between T4 and TBIT out of gate 44. The bus runs every 10 - 20 minutes. I can't recall when it starts running, but it runs until after midnight.

To the lounge question, the food in TBIT is definitely better than T4. Pizza, some sandwiches, a lobster bisque, and various hors d'œuvres are the norm. But, as mentioned, it tends to be crowded (and probably more so now that QF operates flights to SYD out of TBIT) and there's no space to do any work (no cubes or anything of the like).
I sacrificed myself for research, and rode around LAX on the shuttles and visited the T4 and TBIT F lounges.

There are 3 separate shuttle buses. All run every 15 min. One route is T3-T2-Eagle-T4. This took me 40 min to get from T3 to T4 (vs. about 5 min walking plus the security check time landside). Another route is T4-TBIT. Third route is T5-Eagle. The tunnel between T5-T6-T7 is now open. So it is possible to stay airside between the major terminals at LAX (bit exception is T1, which is Southwest and USAir). The buses are somewhat scenic if you like pretending that you are a catering truck, but not time effective, even counting the security check time.

T4 and TBIT F lounges are substantially equivalent. Recently (in the past month) AA has upgraded the food/drinks in the T4 F lounge and now it is substantially superior to the TBIT lounge (direct comparison on the same day). For example T4 has Corzo Tequila (very nice) and a dozen other premium liquors that are superior to what TBIT carries. Food is equivalent but different (TBIT is more Asian, T4 is more Swedish). T4 F lounge is deserted (as you might expect with only BNE and AKL-MEL service, not sure if they even have F class seating). TBIT F lounge is jammed to the gills (every seat taken). Decor is equivalent, though I prefer the T4 design. T4 F lounge was giving a welcome gift (travel wallet from Citibank Private Banking -- a great marketing idea, except the wallet is so low quality that their target audience would never touch it). No welcome gift at the TBIT F lounge.

Overall QF should be ashamed of the shambles that the TBIT F lounge is. A great Emerald lounge, a despicable F lounge.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
Originally Posted by parislady40
I will be flying business class on QF26, LAX to Auckland,which leaves from Terminal 4. My question is regarding the lounges. There is a business lounge at both term 4 and Tom Bradley. I have a really really long layover, and wondered which is the best to use? I certainly have plenty of time to transfer over. Seems that the dedicated Qantas lounge is Term 4, but is the BA/QF/CP lounge better? Just trying to get best lounge use. Also, can I interchange the lounges in that way? LAX is not my normal transiting airport.
When I was on QF26 this past November, I went to the lounge in T4 and found it very nice. It was large, roomy, and the showers were very nice too. I have read that the lounge at Tom Bradley can be crowded, but I do not know this to be true or not. All I can say is that I was very pleased with the lounge in T4.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by swdke
When I was on QF26 this past November, I went to the lounge in T4 and found it very nice. It was large, roomy, and the showers were very nice too. I have read that the lounge at Tom Bradley can be crowded, but I do not know this to be true or not. All I can say is that I was very pleased with the lounge in T4.
Yes, the LAX T4 F AA/QF lounge is very decent.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by number_6
... Overall QF should be ashamed of the shambles that the TBIT F lounge is. A great Emerald lounge, a despicable F lounge.
Quite ...

Of course, if one is looking to travel on the 388, then TBIT it has to be! (Time spent in the lounge is a lot less than time spend in the air).

I have made an art form of getting the best of both worlds. For my last two trips, I have made sure I have flown into T4, employed the Flagship Lounge for an appropriate time before using the (every ½ hour, on the hour) airside bus to get from from T4 to TBIT.

(One note is that Qantas seem to want to commence 388 boarding ¾ hour before scheduled departure. Given it may take ¼ hour to walk the 300/400 yards from the O/W lounges to either VLA gate [123/101], an early lounge departure is a good idea - don't wait for the boarding call.)
Old Apr 1, 2009, 9:30 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
How About the J Lounge at T4?

The previous comments cite a T4 F lounge. What if you're flying QF Business from T4? What lounge access applies? If it's a typical Admirals Club plus showers, with drinks for purchase, and "food for purchase" (per the AA website), I don't think that's international standard for a non-U.S. carrier like Qantas. Does QF provide a voucher for food and beverage costs?

Thanks....

Last edited by Explore; Apr 1, 2009 at 9:41 pm
Old Apr 1, 2009, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If departing in J on Qantas from T4 then you have access to the A/C based on COS. Since you are "flying QF" and/or "on an international Itinerary" you will be supplied with 1 or 2 drink vouchers on entry.

If you use these up you can go back and request more.

There are no vouchers for food. I believe some light refreshments (beyond the standard A/C fare) are put out before the Qantas flights.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 2:28 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by serfty
If departing in J on Qantas from T4 then you have access to the A/C based on COS. Since you are "flying QF" and/or "on an international Itinerary" you will be supplied with 1 or 2 drink vouchers on entry.

If you use these up you can go back and request more.

There are no vouchers for food. I believe some light refreshments (beyond the standard A/C fare) are put out before the Qantas flights.
The refreshments are very light. Some small, basic sandwiches (think a portion of white bread slices with some things in the middle) that I've never been tempted to touch along with the usual (minimal) Admiral's Club fare. It's not a meal by any stretch of the imagination. That said, you'll have supper as soon as your board your Qantas flight, so there's really no need to fill up in the terminal unless you're hoping to skip the on-board meal and go right to sleep (which I admit to having done several times).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.