Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF15 and QF16 BNE/LAX return

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thanks! I now just to check the plane configuration and hope Qantas won't do last minute plane change.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 8:23 pm

Just got myself onto QF15 for 30 October I checked the seatmap and it is showing the new layout (Zone A with 14 seats). Got allocated 05B.

Will report back on how it goes.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:32 am

5B and the seat on the other side will be much sort after.

I was on the first flight last Sunday of the new config in J - let us know how the lunch service goes, as it took a long time to bring out the courses and the galley was so far back. I am sure thery would have ironed those out but not having that galley at Door 1 is not ideal.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by VHOEJ
5B and the seat on the other side will be much sort after.

I was on the first flight last Sunday of the new config in J - let us know how the lunch service goes, as it took a long time to bring out the courses and the galley was so far back. I am sure thery would have ironed those out but not having that galley at Door 1 is not ideal.
Which seat were you in?
After looking at the seatmap (the pdf one), I am thinking 5B will be right in the way of of all boarding passengers (unless dual jet bridge is used). Also, wouldn't it be a bit noisy (from wind noise) and cold during the flight?

And what occupies the blank space where 5A was supposed to be.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:32 pm

I was in row 3 - you actually boarded through door 2 (and exited throught that door) so no worries about any boarding traffic.

Where 5A is, there looks like there is a storage thing. There is a flat section (a bit like the bassinet in first class for 4A and 4K) so it looks like it is a small storage thing, considering you don't have anything in front of you like a seat pocket.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 4:01 am

QF what can I say, I had a great flight on the 30th. The flight was packed and I only got to fly in Y+ but it was with VA.

At around 6pm on the 29th I read my friend's stats on Fb, something something Qantas. I can't remember what it was but that night, it was one sleepless night in Canberra. Trying to score seats with VA and to figure out what am I going to do with those 96k QF points that I was to get back from cancelling this trip.

I know this is OT, but I had to vent. When I departed from LAX to SEA the next day I saw 7 QF planes parked next to each other at LAX. OEG was one of them

I felt sorry for the passengers on QF16 (28 Oct) because it showed it departed then it returned to the gate then it was cancelled despite it was just under an hour after the ingenius grounding order went out.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Those passengers were royally screwed by AJ so hopefully they have good memories and take their business elsewhere.
Old May 18, 2012, 6:34 pm

Question About Bassinet Seat

Originally Posted by VHOEJ
I was in row 3 - you actually boarded through door 2 (and exited throught that door) so no worries about any boarding traffic.

Where 5A is, there looks like there is a storage thing. There is a flat section (a bit like the bassinet in first class for 4A and 4K) so it looks like it is a small storage thing, considering you don't have anything in front of you like a seat pocket.
I was excited for several months about an upcoming trip on flight 16 from LAX-BNE because the seat map had showed the newly reconfigured 747. I hadn't checked the seat map for several weeks, and decided to look today. Looks like the aircraft has been changed, and it is the old 4-class with the older first class seats in the A zone.

Here is my dilemma- I am traveling with the Mrs. and there isn't a good pair of seats on the upper deck. Zone B is wide open, so I can secure a pair of seats there. However, 4A, 4E, and 4K are open for seat request online. I was surprised to find that I was able to select 4A since it is labeled as bassinet. My question is, am I foolish to have gone and selected 4A and 4E? Is it likely we will just get booted and reassigned since 4A is bassinet? I ask this because I talked to a phone agent before assigning seats online, and she seemed to indicate/imply that I can't have 4A because it is bassinet. It isn't marked as under airport control, and I am able to select it online.

I'm stoked about the possibility of getting those seats in Zone A instead of the MKI J seats- any help or advice would be appreciated!
Old May 18, 2012, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
4A and 4K are indeed bassinet positions. It is rare that they are actually used for for babies (children under 6 months) - many business types like them for the additional storage / work space they can provide.

It is unlikely you'd lose them.

I would snaffle 4A/E online immediately - they are probably only vacant due to there being no row 4 in the new configuration and others have not yet caught up with the change.

Last edited by serfty; May 18, 2012 at 10:06 pm
Old May 18, 2012, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
4A and 4EK are indeed bassinet positions. It is rare that they are actually used for for babies (children under 6 months) - many business types like them for the additional storage / work space they can provide.

It is unlikely you'd lose them.

I would snaffle 4A/E online immediately - they are probably only vacant due to there being no row 4 in the new configuration and others have not yet caught up with the change.
Agree with all of those comments. Anyone travelling with a need for the bassienet would have booked by now. 4A I think is one of the best seats on the aircraft so grab it if you can.
Old May 18, 2012, 9:51 pm

Thanks to both of you. Will follow your advice.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:18 am

Hi Guys

I am booked on QF16 on Jan, 23 2015. Does anyone know the 747-400 aircraft type and seat map for this flight? I'll be flying business and keen to know best seats.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
New configuration - all the better seats are taken.

Maybe 12A for the side storage.

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Seat Map Search:
Departing LAX on 23/01/15 for BNE, Flying QF flight 16 in Business

A   B       E   F       J   K   
1       +   -                   -   -       
2       +   +                   H   -       
3       -   -       -   -       -   -       
        A   B       E   F       J   K   

A   B       D   E   F       J   K   
5   E       -       +   +   +       -       E   
6       -   -       -   -   -       -   -       
7       -   -       -   -   -       -   -       
8       -   -       -   -   -       -   -       
        A   B       D   E   F       J   K   

A   B       J   K   
11  U       -   -       X   X       U   
12  U       +   -       +   -       U   
14  U   E   -   -       -   -   E   U   
15  U       -   -       -   -       U   
16  U                   -   -       U
Old Dec 13, 2014, 5:41 pm

Hi serfty

After seeing your post I signed up to expertflyer. I see that 12A is marked as blocked. Is that not the case given your post above?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:05 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by fletch3434
Hi serfty

After seeing your post I signed up to expertflyer. I see that 12A is marked as blocked. Is that not the case given your post above?
A seat may be blocked if the one next to it is occupied by a WP or WP1 (ie Plat). The block may be removed if the cabin is going to be full. Its called the "Platinum Shadow"). Its good to keep the riff-raff away from the WPs .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.