Wiki Posts
Search

QF Group Changes - NZ, China, India

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2009, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
QF Group Changes - NZ, China, India

CHANGES TO QANTAS GROUP NEW ZEALAND, CHINA AND INDIA SERVICES SYDNEY, 17 February 2009: The Qantas Group today announced changes to its New Zealand, China and
India operations.

New Zealand from 10 June 2009, Jetstar will commence New Zealand domestic services and Qantas will cease operating its New Zealand domestic network Qantas will introduce changes to its trans-Tasman services and flights to the United States from Auckland, increasing frequency and improving connections for international
customers, including to New York China Qantas Sydney-Shanghai A330 services will increase to seven per week (daily) from 31 March 2009. Qantas Melbourne-Shanghai services (currently two per week) will cease from 31 March 2009. Qantas Sydney-Beijing services (currently three per week) will cease from 17 April 2009. India Qantas three-times-a-week Mumbai services will operate via Singapore from mid-May, with connections from Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide (Qantas) and
Cairns and Darwin (Jetstar).

http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/2009021...q6hq8jzmhq.pdf

Interesting that PEK gets cut.

Seems there is alot of A330 International capacity being used domestically now as well - I guess this is where the JQ 330's would have been deployed if they had received 787's by now. It just sow happens international demand is down, so they can use the international 330's.

NZ is interesting. I wonder how successful JQ will be against Pac Blue.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 4:11 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I must say QF's New Zealand strategy have me a bit confused, especially in the last year. I always thought JQ would jump in to the NZ domestic market and take out the QF brand, way before DJ would. Then DJ got the jump and QF introduced CityFlyer and (talked about) re-introducing WLG-CHC, I thought maybe they would stick with QF... Has it even been a year since the CityFlyer concept started in NZ?

Of course, there was also talk about the 738s coming in, but now, we're seeing 733s again even (I thought they were all gone by now). Personally, I'm really sick of seeing these 733s and 734s in WLG... (Frankly, I'm sick of flying in 737s, no matter what variation...)

So now the domestic QPs will disappear too? I'll miss the cheese scones in WLG though...

At least they're keeping QF for trans-Tasman (for the meantime) - I wonder how long that will stay...

With regards to Beijing, I'm not really surprised. That route always smells Olympics to me. Shanghai is always the bigger city, so that will get the traffic...
Old Feb 16, 2009, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by Leumas

So now the domestic QPs will disappear too? I'll miss the cheese scones in WLG though.....
They will go if OOL is any example. Once the QF flights topped the doors were closed.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 5:30 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Leumas
Has it even been a year since the CityFlyer concept started in NZ?
IIRC was just on a year ago.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 9:56 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
It will be interesting to see how QF will execute the NZ changes staffing wise. With the QF brand disappearing domestically will those people move over to JQ?

The changes are not reflected in Sabre yet because I wanted to look up whether SYD-BOM will still be on one flight number or how exactly they are going to do this.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
amadeus is updated
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:23 pm

Programs: QF WP, QF LTG, PC Plat, FlyingBlue
Planning a trip PEK in May in J and the QF site says:
We could not find a fare for the requested itinerary. (# 66002)

Have tried several dates but nothing for J.

There are Y seats with a code share flight from PVG with China Eastern. CX must be rubbing their hands with glee!
Old Apr 13, 2009, 10:15 am
Suspended

Interesting for the SIN-BOM. I assume QF has the rights to carry pax on that route. I do miss the options available on QF out of SIN (eg. HKG!)
Old Apr 14, 2009, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by biba
Planning a trip PEK in May in J and the QF site says:
We could not find a fare for the requested itinerary. (# 66002)

Have tried several dates but nothing for J.

There are Y seats with a code share flight from PVG with China Eastern. CX must be rubbing their hands with glee!
I can't understand why QF doesn't market something with KA to allow it to sell Aus - HKG - PEK flights as an alternative to SYD-PVG-PEK, which has terrible connections from other Australian ports, and is hardly as attractive as the CX options, as you say.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by nomoreiphone
Interesting for the SIN-BOM. I assume QF has the rights to carry pax on that route. I do miss the options available on QF out of SIN (eg. HKG!)
Indeed they do seem to have the traffic rights. I rang them a couple of weeks ago to enquire what the fare might be as it wasn't possible to select BOM from the drop-down menu ex SIN (but you could select SIN ex BOM for some reason).

The fare quoted SIN-BOM rtn was over AUD900 including taxes, so it looks like QF is actively discouraging 'local' traffic by pricing high and keeping through seats available.

I did call soon after the flights via SIN loaded into the system, so maybe they have come down now, but there would certainly be cheaper alternatives.

Regards

lme etc etc
Old Apr 14, 2009, 7:57 am

Programs: QF WP LTG PC+,OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Adelaide_Matthew
I can't understand why QF doesn't market something with KA to allow it to sell Aus - HKG - PEK flights as an alternative to SYD-PVG-PEK, which has terrible connections from other Australian ports, and is hardly as attractive as the CX options, as you say.
Qantas does. It's V class flights and up can be booked via Hong Kong with a range of carriers doing the HKG PEK link including KA. We often do this and add a stop over in HKG so we can work in Shenzhen and PEK and just pay for the one flight.

I don't know if you can do it on the website but a long phone call to Qantas bookings will do it.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 9:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Indeed they do seem to have the traffic rights. I rang them a couple of weeks ago to enquire what the fare might be as it wasn't possible to select BOM from the drop-down menu ex SIN (but you could select SIN ex BOM for some reason).

The fare quoted SIN-BOM rtn was over AUD900 including taxes, so it looks like QF is actively discouraging 'local' traffic by pricing high and keeping through seats available.

I did call soon after the flights via SIN loaded into the system, so maybe they have come down now, but there would certainly be cheaper alternatives.

Regards

lme etc etc
I think the fares might not be uploaded yet. But it certainly opens up a lot of possibilities with Oneworld ticket products (esp with the new SWP/Asia Circle Trip product)
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Lucky_man
Qantas does. It's V class flights and up can be booked via Hong Kong with a range of carriers doing the HKG PEK link including KA.

I don't know if you can do it on the website but a long phone call to Qantas bookings will do it.
Bestflights and the like also offer the QF/xx combination, but only to a single destination.

What is annoying is that you can't get a through fare utilising QF premium economy to HKG and then onwards to China in Y. The only way it seems it can be done is to combine the published fares on both sectors which is very unattractive.

Regards

lme etc etc
Old Apr 14, 2009, 6:28 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG PC+,OW Emerald
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Bestflights and the like also offer the QF/xx combination, but only to a single destination.

What is annoying is that you can't get a through fare utilising QF premium economy to HKG and then onwards to China in Y. The only way it seems it can be done is to combine the published fares on both sectors which is very unattractive.

Regards

lme etc etc
I've done this as well with Qantas over the phone but in TLFFA1 all the way. About $2900 ADL-MEL-(PE)-HKG-PVG-HKG-(PE)-SYD-ADL. Some times you need to be a little 'encouraging' and they often can not see the fair codes or don't understand them. TLFFA1 is only slight more expensive than YLFFA1 which we often use. Not available in April around Easter time and at some other times.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Lucky_man
I've done this as well with Qantas over the phone but in TLFFA1 all the way. About $2900 ADL-MEL-(PE)-HKG-PVG-HKG-(PE)-SYD-ADL. Some times you need to be a little 'encouraging' and they often can not see the fair codes or don't understand them. TLFFA1 is only slight more expensive than YLFFA1 which we often use. Not available in April around Easter time and at some other times.
Thanks guys - this is very interesting.

The possibility of PE to HKG really is attractive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.