Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

sad day. finally realised that I should have no expectations when flying Qantas :(

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

sad day. finally realised that I should have no expectations when flying Qantas :(

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2009, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
(catering out of some cities, such as BKK, which is never rectifiied). Would I want QF to do the same? Not at all.
RE beds turned down QF will never have that style of service, it seems.
From the perspective of someone who actually manages and operates the galleys, I can tell you that the catering out of BKK to Europe is the best there is! On a somewhat unrelated point, I just love the Thais and it's so tragic that we've closed our Thai crew base. It's such a joy to operate those sectors as you know the catering will be spot on. As for you being quite comfortable with beds not being turned down proactively and the toilet door not being opened for you, well you'd best never fly with me!
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by QFcrew
From the perspective of someone who actually manages and operates the galleys, I can tell you that the catering out of BKK to Europe is the best there is! On a somewhat unrelated point, I just love the Thais and it's so tragic that we've closed our Thai crew base. It's such a joy to operate those sectors as you know the catering will be spot on. As for you being quite comfortable with beds not being turned down proactively and the toilet door not being opened for you, well you'd best never fly with me!
I detect a lot of bitterness from you in your posts.

As has been pointed out, this is an older thread and the people who have posted their concerns are very frequent flyers. They're not whinging at Qantas for the sake of it, they're voicing their concerns, be they valid or otherwise.

If someone dislikes catering on a route and flies it frequently, i'd tend to believe their stance.

Don't get me wrong, people do whinge about little things often, but I think you may want to be more objective in your responses to our complaints. We're not a hostile bunch and always love to have insiders around here (and welcome to FT as well )

Last edited by drewbles; Dec 13, 2009 at 10:26 pm Reason: does not like me using the 'ing' of a female dog to describe a complaint ;)
Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by drewbles
If someone dislikes catering on a route and flies it frequently, i'd tend to believe their stance.

Don't get me wrong, people do whinge about little things often, but I think you may want to be more objective in your responses to our complaints. )
I'm not a page boy for QF - I'm perfectly vocal in my criticism, when I think it's justified. I'm perfectly objective, just with a very informed perspective.

With reference to your catering point, I actually manage the galleys, so I am giving a very considered point of view. It has nothing to do with bitterness. It's just fact. The catering out of Bangkok, from an organisational point of view, is great!

Once again, it really is a shame we've lost our Thai colleagues on board. They were so efficient and a delight to work with They brought something to the customer experience.

Last edited by QFcrew; Dec 14, 2009 at 12:39 am
Old Dec 14, 2009, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
With reference to your catering point, I actually manage the galleys, so I am giving a very considered point of view. It has nothing to do with bitterness. It's just fact. The catering out of Bangkok, from an organisational point of view, is great!
Actually QFxrew - since you are in galleys - can you tell us why the QF meal service seems to take so long?

I guess I want to understand why before being too critical.

But it does seem like us pax in economy sit for a good hour (and more) waiting for food, then for trays to be cleared.

Compare to AA where they do two carts per aisle, with two crew on each. The first cart dishes out food (very quick), the follow-up does drinks (again very quick). All over red rover in about 20 mins.

Collection is much the same. (One thing I dislike is having to sit for so long with an empty tray - and I know from checking that everyone has finished eating... but still no tray collection... (usually sitting at the exit I go for a wander and can see the whole plane has finished)).

I'm also interested by the seeming 'trolley dance' where the carts do a bit of one aisle, then come out again and seem to swing and do another bit.

Is this all in my imagination??

Anyways - not so much complaining here as genuinely interested on the meal service logistics from your point of view. This certainly isn't a complaint against you personally or other crews - eoinz said you are busy (and there aren't many of you anymore) - but perhaps knowing why things are done the way they are would help explain.

Regards

lme ff

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Dec 14, 2009 at 1:08 am
Old Dec 14, 2009, 1:11 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Compare to AA where they do two carts per aisle, with two crew on each. The first cart dishes out food (very quick), the follow-up does drinks (again very quick). All over red rover in about 20 mins.
Or compared to QF domestic where they manage to get meals out, eaten, and collected on a SYD-MEL all within 45 mins. Very efficient.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 1:26 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I've only flown eastbound out of BKK; while it seems QFCrew only flies westbound (presumably LHR based). There is a difference in the flight distance, maybe BKK-LHR is catered differently than BKK-SYD. All I know is that I have flown QF F 3 or 4 times out of BKK and it was a far worse meal than ex-SIN or ex-HKG. Most of the time I fly CX via HKG instead, avoiding these problems, and the majority of my QF F experience is trans-Pacific.

In general QF is slower at meal service in all classes than most airlines, and often has simpler meals (easier plating, fewer ingredients, etc.). Also QF crew are much grumpier about serving meals at the times that I want rather than the time when they want, and some have deliberately "run out" of ingredients to "punish" me for insisting to eat my meal at the time of my choosing and not theirs. This doesn't happen on CX, SQ, EK or even LH (in F; obvoiusly this is strictly an F service perk, and doesn't apply to J). Galley management is a definite weak point in QF's service procedures. Partly it is the airline's fault: just take a look at how CX galleys are configured, for example. But much of it is staff training and ability (hence my dislike of the A380 F service which really fails on this point on QF, while it shines on SQ and EK).
Old Dec 14, 2009, 2:02 am

I really can't explain why - from my perspective (and I'm not justifying that our service isn't slow - if that's how you perceive it) once onboard the aircraft to the lights go out - we do not stop!!

And I can assure you number_6 dishing out those meals is not as easy as you may think. They may look so when they come out (which means the galley operator has done a good job) but you should see how F and J catering arrives on the aircraft - nothing is prepared except the entree in J. I'm not saying it's rocket science but it certainly requires some skill.

Here is an example of a First Class salad before and after

Old Dec 14, 2009, 2:15 am

Programs: QF SQ VS
Hey Eoinnz,

Love the before and after photo's.... it gives us a much better perspective on what happens in the galley.

Got any more......most interesting

hvb
Old Dec 14, 2009, 2:29 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
+1 love to see more of these kind of photos
Old Dec 14, 2009, 2:32 am

Like the pictures too!
Old Dec 14, 2009, 2:41 am

As requested here are some more before and after photos - Again these are from First Class however the same applies for business (however in business class there are two meals to every foil)

Like I said it's not rocket science but plating for up to 72 passengers in such a small area does require patience and a little skill.

Old Dec 14, 2009, 4:56 am

Programs: QF SQ VS
eoinnz................Thanks for the extra photos....much appreciated...

hvb
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:08 am

I can only speak for the ultra long-haul sectors operated by my base...

One of the great joys of reading this forum, from my perspective at least, is the pure entertainment value it affords me.
1) AKL to SYD and PER to SYD is NOT what l would consider ULTRA LONG HAUL.
Don't know about you...???

2) There were certainly LESS than 500 pax on those flights, let me assure you. Maybe your getting mixed up with the new A380's?

3) There were atleast 10 (maybe 15) rows from the start of the second whY cabin before the service trolley got to me. QF566 (on the 11/11/09, departed PER at 15:15)

All l'm saying is that lately, when l've had a meal, it has taken far to long for the crew to come and clear it.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:43 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
As always, you are a true star eoinnz! ^

Perhaps QF need to find a better way to let you guys dish up?

FWIW I have never really had much of a problem in F or J in respect to speed of dishing up. The cabin with the big issue is almost always Y although fortunately I have been in a position to avoid the cabin long haul for the last couple of years. I can't even comment on W as I have only used the BA product thus far.

My own issues with F and J don't relate to speed of service. A word beginning with C comes to mind (and no, I am not being rude).

Last edited by Traveloguy; Dec 14, 2009 at 4:29 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Oneworldplus2
1) AKL to SYD and PER to SYD is NOT what l would consider ULTRA LONG HAUL.
Don't know about you...???
To answer your question, the answer is NO, I don't consider that to be ultra long-haul. I don't know what you're on about though frankly, because as I specified I can only speak from my experience of operating ultra long haul flights, which are between London and south-east Asia. If a 14 hour sector isn't ultra long-haul, then I don't know what is. I said nothing at all about AKL, PER or SYD...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.