FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   SYD - WALK TO WOLLI CREEK STATION (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/80999-syd-walk-wolli-creek-station.html)

QF ExLurker Dec 1, 2003 5:36 pm

SYD - WALK TO WOLLI CREEK STATION

For some healthy exercise and to avoid the private railway fare, it is possible to walk from SYD International terminal to Wolli Creek railway station in about 20-25 minutes. I have done it three times, twice with no luggage and once with a backpack. Each time I saw airport employees doing the same walk. You start by crossing the river on the bridge behind the car park.
The only hard part is crossing busy Marsh St, which is best done near the Hilton Hotel, where the median strip is wider.
From Wolli Creek station, you pay the normal State Rail fares only, i.e. not the Airport line surcharge.
I do NOT recommend doing this walk with luggage other than a backpack.
(From the domestic terminal you would walk to Mascot Station, not to Wolli Creek).

QF WP Dec 1, 2003 5:49 pm

Welcome to the QF forum, QF ExLurker. Good to see you lurking no more but inputting your knowledge to the Board.

That was discussed yesterday I believe in another topic, however you have given specific directions. One of these days when I have time on my hands and light carry-on only, I'm going to try the walk from Wolli Creek or Mascot to judge for myself. Maybe the walk isn't that far when compared with the walk from the platform to the check-in desk...

So you aren't a relation of Starwood Lurker, are you http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif??

(Editd to add last comment...)

[This message has been edited by QF WP (edited Dec 01, 2003).]

og Dec 1, 2003 5:54 pm

For those who are geographically challenged, I recommend getting a copy of the UBD street directory before venturing out on the walk to Wolli Ck or Mascot. I'll save some angst. Also, make sure the Directory is no older than about 4 years (the stations may not be shown).

(Also, welcome, QF exlurker)

Dave Noble Dec 1, 2003 6:27 pm

Another clue for the geographically challenged en-route to Wolli Creek, there is no Hilton Hotel at the airport anymore.

Dave

bundaburg Dec 1, 2003 7:12 pm

Being a local resident of the area, and doing the walk a few times (and others on bike), I can confirm that if time (and baggage) is no hassle, then the walk to the international terminal is quite nice. Just follow the bike track, and head towards the hilton. Beats paying the reduculous fares ex dom, int terminals etc

QF ExLurker Dec 1, 2003 7:23 pm

A jackpot. I stopped lurking only yesterday, but have already scored replies from the prolific posters QF WP and og. And nobody has told me off for starting this SYD to Wolli Creek walking discussion under QF rather in the Airports threads.

Yes, a look at a street map before setting off would certainly help, especially as pedestrians do not seem to be expected or catered for by signs or safe crossings on this route, either by the airport or by the local council.

NM Dec 1, 2003 7:30 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dave Noble:
Another clue for the geographically challenged en-route to Wolli Creek, there is no Hilton Hotel at the airport anymore.

Dave
</font>
What happened to the Sydney Airport Hilton? I stayed there just 2 months ago. I was about to suggest walking from the station to the Hilton Hotel, walking into the foyer, then back out again and onto their courtesy shuttle bus! Sounds like that option may be gone now.

Also note - I don't get lost, but I have been known to occasionally experience temporary geographical embarrassment.

NM Dec 1, 2003 7:34 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by QF ExLurker:
A jackpot. I stopped lurking only yesterday, but have already scored replies from the prolific posters QF WP and og. And nobody has told me off for starting this SYD to Wolli Creek walking discussion under QF rather in the Airports threads.</font>
Let me add my welcome too! And this topic is just fine here (I say in the absence of our illustrious moderator who is no doubt soaking up the sunshine somewhere in the UK winter).

og Dec 1, 2003 7:42 pm

[quote]<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NM:
[b]

Originally posted by QF ExLurker:
in the absence of our illustrious moderator who is no doubt soaking up the sunshine somewhere in the UK winter).</font>
UK Winter and sunshine - that'd only happen on the sunny side of a 744 at FL 350???

Sorry QF exlurker - we drift off topic regularly!

QF ExLurker Dec 1, 2003 7:49 pm

My cup runneth over. Replies also from NM and from Dave Noble.

To drift back onto the topic, after mastering SYD-Wolli Creek, one could then try London City-LHR, mostly along the Thames river towpath. That walk was described in detail in the BA inflight magazine about 2 years ago. It will take a full day, allowing for pub stops. I have not done it myself, yet.

Dave Noble Dec 1, 2003 8:04 pm

"It will take a full day, allowing for pub stops. I have not done it myself, yet."

This is the QF board....With pub stops there's no way that it's going to be done in less than 3 days http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Dave

Dave Noble Dec 1, 2003 8:06 pm

"What happened to the Sydney Airport Hilton?"

It closed a few weeks ago

"I stayed there just 2 months ago. I was about to suggest walking from the station to the Hilton Hotel, walking into the foyer, then back out again and onto their courtesy shuttle bus!"

A wonderful idea that I have myself made use of. Alas poor Sydney, no Hiltons now.

Dave

lokijuh Dec 1, 2003 8:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dave Noble:
"What happened to the Sydney Airport Hilton?"

It closed a few weeks ago
A wonderful idea that I have myself made use of. Alas poor Sydney, no Hiltons now.

Dave
</font>
Now a Mercure. Mourn the loss of double dipping and 1000 QF pts for a night's stay.

thadocta Dec 1, 2003 9:17 pm

"(From the domestic terminal you would walk to Mascot Station, not to Wolli Creek)."

Mascot - along with Green Square - also have station access charges, but they are not as high as the access charges payable at International or Domestic.

Todays trivia quiz - there is one other railway station in the CityRail area which applies an access charge - which one is it?

Dave

thadocta Dec 1, 2003 9:24 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by QF ExLurker:
To drift back onto the topic, after mastering SYD-Wolli Creek, one could then try London City-LHR, mostly along the Thames river towpath. That walk was described in detail in the BA inflight magazine about 2 years ago. It will take a full day, allowing for pub stops.</font>
About time that this thread got on topic for the QF board.

Dave