Compassionate rewards....

Old Jun 9, 2003, 7:35 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci
Compassionate rewards....

.... anyone have any experience?

Have just found out that I will need to attend a funeral in Liverpool (England) sometime between October and whenever. Obviously, the notice will be short (he doesn't yet know when he will die) so am unable to book it now.

Anyone know what QF's position is in this regard?

Obviously, I will need to fly on extremely short notice, and am more than willing to settle for steerage.

Anyone know if QF provide expedidated redemptions in such cases?

Dave
Old Jun 9, 2003, 4:47 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
October = Rugby World Cup. I was able to organise a U seat for my mum around that time in November last year, but yield management had to release a J (not D!) seat for me. In November last year, I was told that there's a blackout on U seats during the RWC, and I didn't see any D on ITN.

I would suggest try now for whenever seats are available. When the sad event happens, see if they'll let you go early...

My father (QCS) recently had to come back early from CNS in a hurry due to family illness. The next flight was Y -9. They refunded his "N" (no refund no changes blah blah blah), and bumped somebody to get him on the flight - in full $$$ Y of course!

QF will get you on the plane if it's urgent, but they'll make you pay if it's fully or overbooked...
Old Jun 9, 2003, 8:45 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Dave, just on the phone to QF Res, so asked your question.

There is no Compassionate fares internationally, however there are domestically.

They need a letter from Hospital, Doctor or Funeral Director faxed to them. Supervisors grant them (they are looked at individually on merits). Travel class is L (for immediate travel) or H class.

Fare is usually 40% dicount on full Y cost.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 9:01 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci
Lindsay, I was thinking more along the lines of "I need to get to LHR for a funeral - any chance or releasing a T class seat on QF 1 tomorrow - here is 110,000 points and my card number for the taxes."

Dave
Old Jun 9, 2003, 9:12 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
QF REs just said, more or less:

"Whatever you can get on. If all QF flights are over-sold, then we'll look at CX or BA. Don't forget that yield management may release seats within 48 hours, thus you might find some availability".

In other words, whatever you can find. Fares are approx $2,148 plus $180 taxes. If they happen to release some Award seats, then even better.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 9:15 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thadocta:
Lindsay, I was thinking more along the lines of "I need to get to LHR for a funeral - any chance or releasing a T class seat on QF 1 tomorrow - here is 110,000 points and my card number for the taxes."

Dave
</font>
I would suggest that if you explain the circumstances, tell them that you are going to pay the price [even with points] they'll surely do everything in your power to get you a seat on a QF - or believe it or not - another airline.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 12:28 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by willyroo:
October = Rugby World Cup. I was able to organise a U seat for my mum around that time in November last year, but yield management had to release a J (not D!) seat for me. In November last year, I was told that there's a blackout on U seats during the RWC, and I didn't see any D on ITN.
</font>
Actually I managed to upgrade on MEL-LHR on Monday 27th Oct after the England v Samoa game, so there are (were) *some* available. It seems most tour companies from the UK block booked certain flights in steerage, but the U class inventory wasn't touched for just long enough...

CT

Old Jun 10, 2003, 12:37 am

Dunno if this helps you but I used AA miles on a compassionate fare SYD-AKL earlier this year.

I explained my situation to the AA reservations agent and she did all she could to get me a seat.

I also organized a seat for my brother on the same flight, but booked it directly with Qantas. With his I paid 50% off the full fare after the hospital faxed a letter to Qantas in Melbourne.

------------------
Latitudes.

For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travels sake. The great affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches of our life more nearly; to come down off this feather-bed of civilisation, and find the globe granite underfoot and strewn with cutting flints.
Robert Louis Stevenson (18501894)
Old Jun 10, 2003, 1:56 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dannyr:
I would suggest that if you explain the circumstances, tell them that you are going to pay the price [even with points] they'll surely do everything in your power to get you a seat on a QF - or believe it or not - another airline.</font>
I am not trying to trivialise this very sad matter, however this circumstance is one of the few instances that discretion and bending/breaking the rules can be really justified.

Also the recipient of their kindness will usually be very greatful for QF for the assistance that they provided in 'doing all they could' in the mourners time of need. Not a bad marketing or brand value as the receipient would be singing QF's praises for a while after that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.