Wiki Posts
Search

QF on white tails....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2002, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK, VA, QF, AC etc
QF on white tails....

At BNE on Monday night & saw a "white tail" 744 with Qantas painted on the cabin & standard QF markings on engines.

Hull was white with dark blue underbody & engine nacelles. Tail had been yellow/blue/white, going by bits remaining on the tail.

I presume that this bird is ex-BA?
Old Dec 18, 2002, 9:27 pm

Is it this one?
VH-NLH
Old Dec 18, 2002, 9:28 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
That's the one I saw over my place on Monday night.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 9:38 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by willyroo:
That's the one I saw over my place on Monday night.</font>
What was a QF744 doing over BNE on Monday night? I thought the only QF 744 operation at Brisbane was QF25/26.

Perhaps it was on its way home to BA as it is supposedly no longer needed now that the 747-400ER's are arriving.
Old Dec 19, 2002, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thoglette:
At BNE on Monday night & saw a "white tail" 744 with Qantas painted on the cabin & standard QF markings on engines.

Hull was white with dark blue underbody & engine nacelles. Tail had been yellow/blue/white, going by bits remaining on the tail.

I presume that this bird is ex-BA?
</font>
Didn't someone say that ATC at LAX had thrown a wobbly one day a couple of months ago when someone mistook it for a BA-operated a/c and didn't realise that it's working for QF at the moment? The result was that the tail was whited out, almost as an emergency - it was done the same day before the a/c left LAX.

Can't remember where I got this from now, but it left a vivid memory after I'd stopped laughing.
Old Dec 19, 2002, 2:42 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Cathay Pacific:
Is it this one? VH-NLH</font>
I've flown this one SYD-HKG several times. The tail used to be yellow, white, and blue. The design reminded me of a flower.

I haven't seen it in the air for ages...
Old Dec 19, 2002, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
A picture with the colored tail can be seen here:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/277949/L/
Old Dec 20, 2002, 7:27 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
I saw this Bird this afternoon (21 December)parked at the SYD Qantas Maintenance Hangar. Maybe it was there to have the tail painted?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.