QF good at upgrading its Plats?

Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

QF good at upgrading its Plats?

Yes / No / Sometimes

Please and thank you!

(This is in reference to: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9054242)
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

QF is pretty good at yield management , so involuntary upgrades are rare beasties. In the rare cases that they do occur, then having QF Platinum status is more likely to make you chosen, however there is nothing published as a benefit regarding it and they may move anyone as they please

If you book a business class seat with Qantas, expect to travel business class

As far as the details of the thread you refer goes, if interested in spending miles, I would be recommending AA , however he will only attain Platinum status (OW Sapphire ) whilst QF will get a higher status of Platinum (OW Emerald ) but will have poor redemption rates; Pretty card or better redemptions is the call to make

Dave
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:08 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
One OP-UP for me over 2 years. So don't count on it. But it happens.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
As far as the details of the thread you refer goes, if interested in spending miles, I would be recommending AA , however he will only attain Platinum status (OW Sapphire ) whilst QF will get a higher status of Platinum (OW Emerald ) but will have poor redemption rates; Pretty card or better redemptions is the call to make

Dave
Thank you for the informative post. ^

How do QF Plat and BA Gold compare, then?
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:48 am

Programs: Qantas WP
QF aren't good at upgrading plats

i flew back from LAX recently - in front row of economy
they wanted me to move for a family with a young child

they wanted me to move - further back in economy

i said i was happy to move - forwards (business was 80%+ empty)

no go

they said i was entitled to keep my allocated seat in economy
Old Jan 13, 2008, 1:26 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
1 op-up Biz to First on QF and 2 op-ups Biz to First on CX in the last 3 years. Nothing from WHY to Biz in Oz domestic - ever.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 1:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hairpeace
Thank you for the informative post. ^

How do QF Plat and BA Gold compare, then?
BA Gold can be easier or harder to attain than QF Platinum depending on the travel patterns and where he has his account maintained

If the account is based in Mainland Europe , the requirements for Silver are 400 Tier Points and then 800 for Gold ( total 1200 )

If the account is based elsewhere, the requirements are 600 and 1500 respectively do total of 2100 TPs

Also, he will need to fly 4 sectors on BA to attain Silver status plus then another 4 sectors on BA to attain Gold ( total 8 ) whilst to get to QF Platinum he will need 4 total

also, should he attain QF Platinum early in membership year, he will get the rest of current membership year as Platinum and then the following year, so depending on the travel could get up to 2 years of Platinum

With BA, as soon as he attains gold, his membreship year will reset and so he will then have only 1 year of gold ( unless he attains another 800/1500 Tier Points to renew )

BA does have some decent upgrade awards which may be worth looking at

Overall, if it is a pretty status that is wanted, QF will probably give him the longest of that status ( unless he will requalify ) but for points value they are not very good

What is the primary desire that he has; to get a premium class award ticket somewhere plus have OW Saphire status or to have OW Emerald status? Personally, I'd suggest the former

Dave
Old Jan 13, 2008, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by durham70

no go

Do you think moving seats (which you could of course refused - as I have seen people do before) is worth a several thousand dollar upgrade? I have seen I think 3 in flight upgrades 2 of which were doctors for assisting in an emergency. The other I can't remember but of similar importance.

Managers can get in huge trouble for upgrading without a good reason. I've seen every excuse under the sun to be upgraded and it is done only in rare circumstances.

However in regards to op-ups (which are few and far between) I can say from my experience it is generally at least frequent flyers that get upgraded.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 2:37 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
One upgrade from Y to J on OZ domestic in the last four years. Nothing else ever. QF is clearly not UA or AA.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What is the primary desire that he has; to get a premium class award ticket somewhere plus have OW Saphire status or to have OW Emerald status? Personally, I'd suggest the former

Dave
I think he just wants a shiny card so either will work, really.

By "premium class award plus OW Sapphire" do you mean MPC Gold?
Old Jan 13, 2008, 3:12 am

Programs: Qantas FF Platinum OW Emerald
3 domestic Y -J upgrades last year. Two SYD-CNS, and one CNS-SYD
Old Jan 13, 2008, 3:53 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by og
Nothing from WHY to Biz in Oz domestic - ever.
I found this strange,

Was on a flight this week (767) with 25 business seats (1 full) and maybe 30 or 40 peoplle in the back.

Must have been a few plats/gold on the flight, as it was mostly business people.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:10 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
As a QF Gold, I am barely acknowleged by QF. I have been better looked after on CX actually. 2 x Y-J op ups MEL-HKG. Totally unexpected which makes it very welcome. Those flights felt like my first time in J all over again... I am loving CX these days.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
I seem to get one dom upgrade per year - flights totally rammed down the back as per usual.

That said, QF does not upgrade unless it has to and even last year as a PG, I put in an upgrade request using miles which did not come through despite there being seats in the requested cabin.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:47 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by durham70

no go

Isn't that a bit selfish? A family misses out on getting a bassinet position because you had a hand out for an op-up. On many airlines you wouldn't even be asked for permission but instead TOLD that bulkhead seat is unavailable and you now have xx.

Anyway, in answer to the OP - no op-ups for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.