Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coming Soon: A NZ Domestic makeover!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2007, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Coming Soon: A NZ Domestic makeover!

Specific details will come in due course.

Cough Kiosks Cough

excuse me
Old Oct 7, 2007, 2:30 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I wonder how they'll have room, at least at AKL and CHC given DJ's intrusion into the check in area. Perhaps only singular kiosk?
Old Oct 7, 2007, 7:33 pm

Hmmmm.... Check out the paper tomorrow.. I was quite impressed thismorning with what was presented at the staff information sessions - and I finally feel that Big Red is taking this operation seriously and wanting to compete (not out-do) with Air New Zealand and own their place as the second NZ domestic carrier.

Albeit small things they add up, also taking ownership of the poor OTP recently and doing something about it. ^

Obviously some of you will remain understandably cautious, so I hope the turn around and product launch is successful and we can slowly but surely win back your trust. Time will tell...
Old Oct 7, 2007, 9:48 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

I look forward to it. With NZ also touting improvements for domestic over the next year things are looking up.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
...With NZ also touting improvements...
Air NZ improvements here
Old Oct 8, 2007, 1:12 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
I like the RFID tags for frequent checked baggage and dual-zone seating.
Unsure about the 'theme flights' however and no way you are getting cafe quality coffee on a plane, least not like my favourite cafes (I can hardly stand the QC stuff)
Old Oct 8, 2007, 11:06 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

NZ Herald on QF improvements

CityFlyer? We are getting service back - woohoo.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 8:09 pm

NZ Herald on QF improvements

CityFlyer? We are getting service back - woohoo.
Good to hear isnt it... And I think just what this country needs. Im glad Qantas has decided to raise the bar in response to Pac Blue than compete with some pathetically low airfares, and it will place a bit of pressure on NZ to keep to their word of what they intend on introducing - which will be great for the consumer!

As soon as the 5th domestic aircraft arrives the WLG - CHC will return aswell. ^
Old Oct 8, 2007, 8:12 pm

The PR: Qantas Announces Major Investment in Domestic New Zealand

Qantas said today it would implement a multi-million dollar investment in its New Zealand domestic product from November 2007.

Qantas Regional General Manager New Zealand Grant Lilly said the product enhancements being introduced over the coming months would see a more targeted focus on the business traveller.

"With these changes, which will be implemented progressively from next month, Qantas will bring its Cityflyer brand to the New Zealand market.

"Cityflyer is being tailored for the specific needs of our New Zealand business travellers, and will operate on the major business routes of Auckland-Wellington, Auckland-Christchurch and Wellington-Christchurch."

Mr Lilly said the enhancements being offered under Cityflyer would include:

- new options to make the airport process faster and easier - online check-in and Qantas QuickCheck self-serve kiosks;
- complimentary morning newspapers;
- a free bar service from 4pm on weekdays; and
- an enhanced food offering, with the addition of substantial cafe-style meal items, the introduction of fresh fruit and new food and beverage equipment.

Mr Lilly said that in addition to the Cityflyer enhancements, Qantas would also:

- invest $3 million to upgrade its domestic Qantas Club lounges in Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington, including new fittings and furnishings, with work to be completed by April 2008;
- progressively refresh the cabins on its B737 domestic fleet, introducing new seat fabrics, curtains and carpets specially designed by world renowned industrial designer and Qantas Creative Director Marc Newson; and
- introduce a fifth aircraft to the New Zealand domestic fleet in 2008, taking the fleet to five B737s.

Mr Lilly said the additional aircraft would enable Qantas to reintroduce services between Christchurch and Wellington, providing greater schedule flexibility and reliability and allowing Qantas to improve its on-time performance.

He said New Zealand passengers could expect a greatly enhanced travel experience when flying Qantas.

"The move to online check-in being introduced next month will allow domestic passengers to check-in for their flight via the internet at qantas.co.nz before travelling to the airport.

"The service allows customers to check-in for same day return flights, choose their preferred seat and print their own boarding passes before heading to the airport and makes moving through the airport a much faster process.

"Using online check-in, customers who are travelling with only carry-on baggage can head straight to their departure gate, while passengers with baggage to check-in need simply stop at one of our bag drop counters before going to their boarding gate," he said.

Mr Lilly said Qantas QuickCheck self-service kiosks would be installed at Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington domestic terminals by February 2008.

"QuickCheck allows passengers to check-in for flights, select their seat and print their own boarding pass in under 60 seconds.

"Passengers without baggage can then proceed straight to their departure gate, and passengers with bags to check-in simply proceed to a bag drop counter."

"The changes reinforce Qantas' commitment to the New Zealand market."
Old Oct 8, 2007, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by workflyer
Good to hear isnt it... And I think just what this country needs. Im glad Qantas has decided to raise the bar in response to Pac Blue than compete with some pathetically low airfares, and it will place a bit of pressure on NZ to keep to their word of what they intend on introducing - which will be great for the consumer!

As soon as the 5th domestic aircraft arrives the WLG - CHC will return aswell. ^
And Virgin's response...
Tuesday, 9 October 2007: New Zealand airline Pacific Blue has announced a special sale fare as it gears up to launch domestic flights within weeks.

The airline has announced a sale fare of $30* on the Wellington-Christchurch route as a “welcome back” gesture to Qantas following its revelation today it will now return to the route it discarded just 30 weeks ago.

“We find Qantas’ about-face on this route a little bemusing,” said Adrian Hamilton-Manns, General Manager Commercial for Pacific Blue.

“When it announced it was pulling out, Qantas said it was left with no choice but to cancel the Wellington-Christchurch services because of high operating costs and a competitive domestic market. We find their newfound sense of economic reality somewhat entertaining and a bit of a “flip flop” in their strategy, but we welcome the competition and look forward to giving them a run for their money.”...
I have to say I am not convinced that with one additional aircraft OTP will improve; and customers (even top ff) will not be treated like **** when planes are cancelled & heavily delayed.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 8:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by ntddevsys
I have to say I am not convinced that with one additional aircraft OTP will improve; and customers (even top ff) will not be treated like **** when planes are cancelled & heavily delayed.
Depends on how heavily they utilise the extra aircraft. If QF schedules lots of flights with it then it will not help OTP as they'll continue to be stretched.

I'm not sure what the last comment is supposed to mean. Other than diversions that create problems for me with my very busy schedules, and 1 cancellation where I got a truly ludicrous refund/credit offer, QF has generally treated me as well as can be expected (and sometimes above and beyond). What gets frustrating is the frequency of "events" and sometimes getting a totally inflexible response by someone (usually in Australia) who isn't enabled to provide solutions.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 9:03 pm

The shedule change to the WLG - BNE will now leave an aircraft on the ground for deferred logs to be completed and corrected every Tuesday and Thursday. This will allow for the back log of what usually ends up causing disruptions to be corrected.

Air New Zealand Engineering has now lost our major checks contract - these will now be completed in Australia by Qantas engineering (the next due to undergo these checks will also have the new interior installed next month while the maintenace is being carried out!). Although I dont hold anything against the Men and Women at NZ Engineering, sometimes (im not saying all the time or even close to half the time) their own companies issues affected our schedule as lack of manpower caused QF maintenance to be delayed and logs deferred.

Some members of the New Zealand based sales team will also form a dedicated service recovery team for any disruptions to the NZ schedule. By doing this, Australian based sales team who know nothing of the service or the disruptions other than "engineering" or "weather" will be able to provide compensation and/or solutions that are more suitable for this market, and our passengers.

The RPN system will also be progressively installed on the Jetconnect fleet, allowing the aircraft to land into ZQN in questionable weather. Again reducing disruptions due to weather in ZQN.

Last edited by workflyer; Oct 8, 2007 at 9:08 pm
Old Oct 9, 2007, 1:59 am

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Good to see the proposed changes and I look forward to experiencing them. It's encouraging to see QF/JetConnect want to compete on value-added services, rather than on price. Also, as we probably know, apart from the special introductory price from Pacific Blue, everything else doesn't seem that much cheaper.

However, I do have one question. Like I mentioned before, one key thing for an airline is its OTP. With one extra aircraft, but one more route, will that really improve OTP? Time will tell, I guess...
Old Oct 9, 2007, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by workflyer
Some members of the New Zealand based sales team will also form a dedicated service recovery team for any disruptions to the NZ schedule.
Good to hear. I look forward to these improvements.

I'm not sure what the last comment is supposed to mean. Other than diversions that create problems for me with my very busy schedules, and 1 cancellation where I got a truly ludicrous refund/credit offer, QF has generally treated me as well as can be expected (and sometimes above and beyond). What gets frustrating is the frequency of "events" and sometimes getting a totally inflexible response by someone (usually in Australia) who isn't enabled to provide solutions.
A totally inflexible response is exactly what I mean Kiwi Flyer. I actually do wonder what the policy is for disruptions, apart from make everybody wait. That would line up with my own experience.

As I say I know several CL members that have stopped flying Qantas altogether because of OTP issues domestically. A slightly delayed flight ending up being much later than you were told just totally ruins your day (as you know you could have bought a walkup on NZ and been on-time). Especially if this happens to you several times a week.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Leumas
However, I do have one question. Like I mentioned before, one key thing for an airline is its OTP. With one extra aircraft, but one more route, will that really improve OTP? Time will tell, I guess...
In my last post I explained how the room will now be found for the aircraft to have a break and the maintenance issues to be caught up on. It is the lack of time that is causing the backlog which eventually affects the MEL and causes the aircraft to sit on the ground and be repaired to meet a standard. This will be rotated among the fleet, obviously with the 2 class aircraft having more time as they operate the WLG - BNE (although, I believe all the aircraft are soon to become 2 class).

But yes as you said - time will tell.

Disruption policies vary, but there is a legal obligation airlines must meet and I guess many factors do come into it. I do think Qantas as a whole does have reasonably good disruption mangement, but as most airlines experience sometimes things get out of control and it can come down to one person managing the delay and how they respond. I think in New Zealand it would be more suitable for passengers to be transferred to NZ more than they are (especially business passengers), but it is up to Operations and sometimes they just dont realise how seriously people are affected.

Last edited by workflyer; Oct 9, 2007 at 3:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.