Search

Use of CPAP on QF 74 SFO-SYD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2007, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Use of CPAP on QF 74 SFO-SYD

I will be taking QF 74 in about a month as the first leg of a OW RTW (in business class). This is the only leg on QF, and I am booked on AA codeshare.

I have sleep apnea and use a cpap regularly. Two other flights (SYD-HKG and HKG-FCO) are on CX and they have been quite accomodating in arranging for the use of the machine (for those who don't know, this is a rather small device (smaller than a shoe box) with tubing and mask that forces air to keep the air passage open and prevents snoring and interruptions of breathing). I called QF and was pleased to learn that cpaps can be accomodated on the SFO-SYD flight in certain seats. I provided info on the machine, which is very new (have had this model for only a few weeks), to the very helpful CS agent.

A few days later, I received a call from QF (not regular CS but someone who deals with medical (?) issues). She told me that the new model was not on their list so I would not be able to use it. When I asked how I might request that the cpap company get approval, she indicated that it would not matter because I had purchased an AA codeshare ticket. I would need to rebook as a QF ticket! So much for the One World alliance. She did say that I could bring the cpap on board with my carryon but that it would count toward my 15 lb allowance. CX has told me that it would not count toward my carry on allowance.

Any advice or experiences would be appreciated. I would certainly sleep much better with the cpap, not to mention the passengers around me! The whole issue has soured my opinion of QF.

Update: Just spoke with the AA RTW desk and they offered to simply change the flight to QF 74. No rebooking involved.

Last edited by SeAAttle; Aug 21, 2007 at 3:58 pm
Old Aug 21, 2007, 4:33 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Can't comment on the medical area, but if you go slightly over the 7kg (15lb) allowance, that shouldn't cause too many dramas. If you bring a 20kg roll-on as cabin luggage, then you will run into problems. For a start, you won't get it in the UD overhead or side bins. What you can get away with on AA or UA for carry-ons, you can't do in Oz with QF, DJ, JQ etc.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 6:08 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Certainly in J, I have never had anyone even look at the size of carry-on

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.