Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney Airport Delays (INT) - 6 NOV

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2006, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Sydney Airport Delays (INT) - 6 NOV

Due to Qantas baggage handlers going on strike, Sydney Airport (International) is experiencing signifcant delays with arrivals and departures.

An industrial stop work meeting is currently causing disruption to flights into and out of Sydney International Terminal.

Due to this action, no bags can be delivered to the baggage carousels off all arriving flights. Customers who reside in Sydney are asked to return to the airports later today to collect their baggage. We are happy to pay for parking for those customers returning to collect baggage.

Customers not local to Sydney or with connections to other cities are asked to complete a Missing Baggage Form at their destination port and bags will be delivered as soon as possible.

Flights out of Sydney International Terminal are being delayed at this time. To get an update on the status of your flight you can visit our real time arrivals and departures pages which will give you information on specific flights.

The duration of this stop work meeting is not known at this time. This site will be updated once further information is known.

Qantas.com | Major Disruptions
Some delayed departures (QF and Partner Airlines) include:
Code:
PX6 	Brisbane 		08:30 	 11:30 	 Estimated 	
JQ409 	Christchurch 	 	08:50 	 12:00 	 Estimated
QF91 	Noumea 	 		08:55 	 11:30 	 Estimated 
OZ602 	Seoul 	 		09:30 	 11:30 	 Estimated 	
QF135	Tokyo 	 		10:25 	 12:00 	 Estimated 	 
QF63	Johannesburg 		10:35 	 12:35 	 Estimated
QF191	Beijing 	 	11:40 	 13:10 	 Estimated 	 
QF43	Auckland 	 	11:40 	 12:40 	 Estimated
Traffic is having to park on the taxiways while other aircraft are slowly processed.

Regards
Old Nov 5, 2006, 5:55 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
For all airlines

SYD intl departures
Old Nov 5, 2006, 11:50 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Post Christmas airport strikes banned

from news.com.au

Originally Posted by news.com.au
Christmas airport strikes banned

AIRLINE baggage handlers have been barred from taking strike action that could have disrupted the Christmas travel plans of thousands of passengers.

The Australian Industrial Relations Commission (NSW) today slapped a three-month ban on strikes by the handlers after Qantas asked it to intervene following a two-hour stoppage at Sydney airport.

But their union warns that if its concerns are not addressed, services over the Christmas period will be jeopardised anyway by workers off sick or injured.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 1:10 am

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Originally Posted by QF NB
Due to Qantas baggage handlers going on strike, Sydney Airport (International) is experiencing signifcant delays with arrivals and departures.

Yes, I know, I was caught right in the middle of that this morning on my SYD-CNS flight. Flight was about 2 hours delayed which caused my connection to TSV to leave without me. I finally arrived in Townsville about 12h after I left Sydney without my baggage

Just rang Sydney airport where they told me that they've got around 20.000 bags still lying around and there is no way that I would get my stuff today...maybe tomorrow.

This is the first time I've lost baggage on QF (normally LH and UA take care of this for me ...but at least they compensate you for it with an instant EUR 200 cash).

To those who know the rules down here, is QF not forced to give any instant cash to passengers in Australia if baggage is delayed? I need to at least buy some essentials and toiletries tonight, will QF reimburse me for those at least????
Old Nov 6, 2006, 4:47 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Sydfly
This is the first time I've lost baggage on QF (normally LH and UA take care of this for me ...but at least they compensate you for it with an instant EUR 200 cash).
I'm sure QF is rushing out a bag full of those EUR 100 notes that were breaking up after being spat out of German ATMs .

Seriously though, 20,000 bags is some heap of luggage. They'll be doing well to get through that lot by tomorrow - LOL! Maybe the LOTFAP SLF that carry everything on board might be right after all .
Old Nov 6, 2006, 8:37 am

Programs: QF LTG AC *G
I got $100 for bags delayed more than 12 hours back in February. This was an intl. flight in J though. They gave me a piece of paper when I reported my bag as not arriving. I had to exchange the bit of paper and receipts for money spent on essentials/clothing for the $100. It would have been more if it was over 24 hours.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 5:09 pm
NM

Originally Posted by Sydfly
To those who know the rules down here, is QF not forced to give any instant cash to passengers in Australia if baggage is delayed? I need to at least buy some essentials and toiletries tonight, will QF reimburse me for those at least????
QF is not forced to do anything in terms of compensation for delayed baggage. They do choose to provide compensation in the form of reimbursement of reasonable expenses (they have their own defined maximum limits based on class of travel and duration of delay). This is generally paid in cash upon presentation of receipts showing your expenses. No receipts, no compensation.

Lost bags from international flights are a different story and they are bound by the IATA rules for compensation for bags that cannot be found and are deemed to be lost. I am not sure just how long they need to be missing before they are deemed lost (verses delayed), but expect it is a significant time such as 5 days or more. And in theory, once they pay out under the IATA conditions, if the bag is subsequently located there is probably no requirement for them to return it to you, or they may be able to demand you return the compensation payment before they return the bag - though in practice this may not be enforced.

For a short delay (say 12-24 hours) the best you can expect is for Qantas to deliver the bag to you at their cost (i.e. courier it to your home/hotel) and to reimburse for reasonable expenses that you incurred as a result of not having your bag.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT; DL Gold MDL
Is this still going on?

Are the workers still striking? We are arriving on Sunday, Nov. 15 from JFK on TN with a QF connection to BNE. I presume the QF staff handles TN flights.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 4:17 pm
NM

Originally Posted by ctmike
Are the workers still striking? We are arriving on Sunday, Nov. 15 from JFK on TN with a QF connection to BNE. I presume the QF staff handles TN flights.
It was a 2-hour stop-work meeting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.