Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF26 743 via HNL?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2006, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

QF26 743 via HNL?

On June 9 QF26 is LAX-HNL-AKL on a non Sky Bed 747-300 with no local traffic on the HNL sectors.

Why is this?
Old Jun 2, 2006, 3:46 pm

Programs: QF Gold, SQ KrisFlyer, Citi Plat. . . . . Aussie living in LOTFAP. . EXPEDIA NONSHOPPER Plat/Life
Originally Posted by chuck1
On June 9 QF26 is LAX-HNL-AKL on a non Sky Bed 747-300 with no local traffic on the HNL sectors.

Why is this?
NFI, but makes for a pretty long flight if your going to MEL. Leave LAX @ 21.40 arrive MEL @ 11.15.
Total of 20.35 hours.

Noticed there are FF seats on this plane for the game..
Old Jun 2, 2006, 3:55 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Just a guess, to clear a cargo backlog at LAX. The fuel stop at HNL/AKL triples the cargo lift. Much cheaper than a separate freighter run and makes use of the traffic rights that QF already owns.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 5:42 pm

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Hello,

I'd say it has to do with the 743 being unable to operate LAX-AKL non-stop. This could be a result of a number of factors including cargo, passenger load and runway works @ AKL.

Recently, QF25 has had to operate AKL-LAX via HNL (on a number of occasions) due to payload problems (cannot depart AKL at capacity).

Cheers
Old Jun 2, 2006, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

I noticed some days the 743 goes nonstop.

When did this route get downgraded from a 744?

Are the non Sky Bed business class seats okay?
Old Jun 3, 2006, 1:44 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Are the non Sky Bed business class seats okay?
The Dreamtime seats (the non SkyBeds) are great (the best) if you want to sit up and read / work etc. Like any other seats, they are crap if you want to sleep. If sleep is an issue, go for the SkyBeds.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 10:43 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
When did this route get downgraded from a 744?
The 743 operations are temporary on this route. The plan to use this aircraft type in June and July was mentioned a few months back. This is due to aircraft availability while the rest of the 744 fleet get the AVOD upgrade installed.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 10:48 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by QF NB
I'd say it has to do with the 743 being unable to operate LAX-AKL non-stop. This could be a result of a number of factors including cargo, passenger load and runway works @ AKL.
Runway works at AKL will not cause the HNL stop for inbound services, just outbound. Inbound to AKL, the 743 will be a min fuel weight anyway.

Trans-Pacific head winds are strong at this time of year, so if they need to carry the extra load (lots of pax plus freight) then its going to need a planned stop, and HNL seems to be QF's preferred location for a tech stop. At least they have ground handling agreements in place for the passengers.

If the flight is scheduled as LAX-HNL-AKL, then passengers departing LAX will not be permitted to purchase duty-free at LAX. They will have to do that at HNL as US laws only permit duty-free goods to be delivered to the aircraft door at the point of final departure from the USA.

All the more reason to be informed regarding airline schedules and plan accordingly. Of course last minite changes can always kill a good plan .
Old Jun 4, 2006, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I'm on QF25 shortly; I changed the day of travel due to convenience and other factors. I originally had a prime 2 class 744 seat. When I changed the new one was still a 2 class 744, but all good seating, including exit rows were taken.

I Noticed on the weekend that a 743 had been substituted and rows 20-25 were completely free... not for long...

Funnily enough, I might not have changed my flight day if it had originally been a 743.

Last edited by serfty; Jun 5, 2006 at 4:51 pm
Old Jun 5, 2006, 2:28 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by NM
Runway works at AKL will not cause the HNL stop for inbound services, just outbound.
The AKL runway works were completed a couple of weeks ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.