Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do You Dual Dine in First?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2010, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Do You Dual Dine in First?

As it says in the title.

I'd be interested to know how many of you, if travelling with a companion, dual dine in F, particularly on the A380. Is the 'buddy seat' comfortable for an hour or so?
Old Aug 6, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Genius1
As it says in the title.

I'd be interested to know how many of you, if travelling with a companion, dual dine in F, particularly on the A380. Is the 'buddy seat' comfortable for an hour or so?
Its ok, but definitely not great. Single dining is more preferable.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 4:38 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Not having been in the 380, I can only comment on the 744. I have never done it and not seen anyone else do it. The space would make for a very uncomfortable time for the companion. I would think the centre pair of seats far better for dining with a companion.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by og
Not having been in the 380, I can only comment on the 744. I have never done it and not seen anyone else do it.
Dual dinning isn't offered on the 747 - only the A380 as there is no seatbelt on the 747 ottoman. This is why you would have never seen it.

I see (serve) dual dinning quite a lot - and obviously it is mostly couples

Dual dinning happens more on lunch and dinner services than supper services in my experience. I've had one couple dual dine for breakfast.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 5:31 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
CX offered it in their 747 old-F config (which did have seat belts for the ottoman) but dropped it for the current (new-F) config despite having 50% increase in floor space; so it clearly wasn't a popular option. CX also has a much bigger table. Of course the real way is to have separate dining tables (as 2 airlines had on their 747-100s, using the small upstairs lounge as a bar and dining room).
Old Aug 6, 2010, 5:42 pm

I think the idea is lovely but not practical.
I've never seen it actually done on any airline in F.
I asked my wife to try it and she flatly refused! Reason: you really cannot converse with the other person (you're supposed to shout over the aircraft noise?), and you cannot watch the AVOD. So you basically would just sit there and watch each other eat! Plus, the person on the ottoman would get a great view of the other passengers eating - not pleasant in most cases. And we all know that some of those meals can take a few hours from start to finish.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
CX offered it in their 747 old-F config (which did have seat belts for the ottoman) but dropped it for the current (new-F) config despite having 50% increase in floor space; so it clearly wasn't a popular option.
Are you sure you cannot dual dine on the new CX F? I was just reading a trip report and to quote

We were then asked if we wanted to din together, my fiancé decided for us, so they came over and set up my tray table for two. The dinner and the wine started:
Here is a picture of them dining together on the new CX F

Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:59 pm
Original Member

My point was that "dual dining" was not an A380 cabin innovation -- it had been around for almost a decade prior. I presumed that CX had derated the ottoman in their present F config as I have never seen it used as a seat, much less for dining (whereas it was somewhat commonplace in the old-F). Interesting that so many pax on QF A380 F flights are traveling with their wife/companion; on my last few flights the F cabin was more than 50% QF staff, fwiw (lots of QF captains with their wives, some of whom I recognize from past trips).
Old Aug 7, 2010, 12:04 am

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
I have dual dined on CX old and new F and TK F -- I've never seen anyone else do it.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 12:50 am
Original Member

TK -- wow! I didn't think they had an F, but I see their new 773ERs are configured with an F suite for 2-person dining. The TK F seat weighs 514lbs (sans pax)! I wonder if the QF seat on the A380 is more than that? I know SQ had F/J seat weight problems on their A345 config when they first tried to do ultra-long flights.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 2:09 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by number_6
The TK F seat weighs 514lbs (sans pax)! I wonder if the QF seat on the A380 is more than that? .
Hey number_6 - I want you in my team for the next pub trivea competition ... so long as aviation is a topic!
Old Aug 7, 2010, 2:11 am

Programs: Qantas
WoW!!!

As a lowly Y flyer, sometimes splurging on Y+, I had no idea that this kinda stuff even existed!
You guys have it great!
I need to try and fly F at least once in my life!
Old Aug 7, 2010, 3:37 am
Suspended

I've often used the dual dining facility on the 388 as otherwise the seats are primarily geared towards solo travellers.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 4:46 am

Programs: AA ExPlat
[ I presumed that CX had derated the ottoman in their present F config as I have never seen it used as a seat, much less for dining (whereas it was somewhat commonplace in the old-F).

I've travelled with my partner severals times in F on CX and we have always dined together - and usually at a different Suite to the ones we are occupying which is great! - CX have a table extension specially for double dining and the ottoman is more than adequate as a seat.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 5:34 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Have dual dined a number of times in QF - in last row of F. It is not encouraged by the flight crew (as there is no seatbelt), but as we had a sleeping children in the other two seats, there was nowhere really for us to sit anyway.

If flying BA will always dual sit. Never had problems with airplane noise and it is reasonably comfortable and a fun experience. Note would only use it with loved one. Would certainly not dual dine with boss or business associate. A little too cosy....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.