Wiki Posts
Search

APEC card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2005, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF Gold, SQ Krisflyer
APEC card

I received my APEC card by post today. So far, approvals have come forth from AUS, Chile and Korea. What's the experience of other travellers when say on departure and on arrival, in Sydney for instance on departure, and arrival in any of the member countries?
If one is a card holder and travelling with another one of the immediate family who does not have such card, do you think Customs would process both thru the express lane?
f
Old Jun 20, 2005, 5:34 am

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
In Sydney, the Q's are generally pretty good , so not much to be gained .
If the lines are large then the luggage tends to be a bit delayed as well
If they are long, try the immigration officer in the APEC line. They are generally more friendly than couterparts elsewhere in the world.
It depends on luck of the draw and also the number of family members .

Worst that can happen is to miss a few places in the original (non Apec) Q.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 6:07 am

With my limited use of the APEC facilities at KUL, AKL and MEL I have had exemplary experiences. I have found no issues with immigration officers when travelling with a non-APEC card holder.

Here in MEL, it definitely does cut one's waiting time.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 8:07 am

Programs: QF Plat & Lifetime Gold, Velocity Gold, SQ PPS
Originally Posted by foreigner
What's the experience of other travellers ...
Generally pretty positive although I must admit I haven't found the APEC line at Narita yet (where it's really needed!)

Anybody else had any luck?
Old Jun 20, 2005, 1:00 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by AshleyF
In Sydney, the Q's are generally pretty good , so not much to be gained .
Maybe if you are australian. As non-australian I mostly have a long wait (30-60+ minutes) at SYD. OTOH I have also been lucky enough to wizz through gate to exit in just 3 minutes.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 1:07 pm

With the APEC card being for business use only, has anyone had any issues with using it on a "leisure" trip where you have marked your arrivals card as such?
Old Jun 20, 2005, 8:14 pm

DPS appears to be OK...

But then again, could be hit & miss! My brother just got back from Bali; no problems getting in on the APEC card & avoiding the USD$25 short-term Visa charge - but they managed to sting him SGD$50 for carrying an extra 2 bottles of booze - negotiated down from SGD$300. He asked for a receipt to which the Customs Officer replied "can't find the receipt book at the moment"!! Straight into the sky rocket is my guess

I sent off my application last week; maybe too optimistic to expect it will come through for my HKG trip 1st week of July - as well as my Bali trip w/end 15th July. The HKG Immigration lines are what I'm looking forward to avoiding!

Cheers, gb.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by ghostboy
I sent off my application last week; maybe too optimistic to expect it will come through for my HKG trip 1st week of July - as well as my Bali trip w/end 15th July. The HKG Immigration lines are what I'm looking forward to avoiding!
It takes a few weeks to get most countries. Then you'll need to ask for an interim card while you wait for China. I've been waiting for 8 months so far...
Old Jun 20, 2005, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by JeremyX
Then you'll need to ask for an interim card while you wait for China. I've been waiting for 8 months so far..
Has anyone out there had China approval? I am on my 2nd card (passport change) and yet to receive it.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 5:16 am

Programs: QF LTG, TG *P, IHG P
Originally Posted by DI542
Has anyone out there had China approval? I am on my 2nd card (passport change) and yet to receive it.
I applied in January and am yet to receive Indonesia, China, HK, Peru, Brunei. I have an interim card for the other 9 countries and have used it successfully in OZ, NZ, Thailand.

As I go to China and HK twice a month there're the ones I really want.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by gaia
I applied in January and am yet to receive Indonesia, China, HK, Peru, Brunei. I have an interim card for the other 9 countries and have used it successfully in OZ, NZ, Thailand.

As I go to China and HK twice a month there're the ones I really want.
Took me about 5 months to get the following:

Australia
Korea
Philippines
Hong Kong
Chile
New Zealand
Malaysia
Thailand
Indonesia
Japan
Chinese Taipei

I asked for the interim card and but I've just about given up on China.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:33 pm

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
So far, for me, the best use for the card is in Australia itself.

I have all countries except China. Anyone manage to get China? I was told that China is 'very slow' to approve. Perhaps that was diplomatic speak for 'never approves'?
Old Jun 22, 2005, 5:02 am

Programs: QF Plat LTG, UA2mm, Marriott LTP
I also applied 8 months ago and have yet to get China approval, but all the other countries came in weeks.

The thing is that I live in China. I already have all the China residence etc permits. I think that there is one guy in Beijing who has 5000 APEC card applications, and he does 2 a day.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 8:05 am

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
Next time you are in China, just trying using the Apec line and show them the card. First time I did it was in ignorance, as I thought I had China clearance. Second time I had my wife along as well!!

AND I have been waiting for 8 months as well. Indonesia came thru in 5.

BTW, At the risk of appearing really dumb.,does the China APEC clearance mean I don't have to have a visa now?
At present Indonesia is the only one that needs a visa besides China for my business trips. Had to pay the US10 fee (and leaf in the passport) prior so the Apec card will be great in that regard.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 9:09 am

Programs: QF Gold, CX Gold
I am still waiting for China Visa after waiting for 6 months, but I asked for an interim card.

It has been very useful for me in Korea and KL where I travel to twice a month especially as the queues are normally very long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.