Community
Wiki Posts
Search

APEC card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2008, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Yohans
No problem in Hawaii at Honolulu International in June 08. There was no sign but the immigration lady directing the queues, who didn't know anything about the Apec card, went off to find a supervisor who invited me to use the air crew desk.
Good to hear that news of the APEC Card is starting to filter through to Hawaii. When I was there in September, the immigration lady had no clue what it was and told me there was no express line without bothering to find a supervisor.

My travel companion then got pulled up for an hour while they re-approved his visa, despite having the interview and all at the US Consulate in Sydney.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:42 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
My updated APEC card just came through with the Chinese approval - taken from March til now.

NB: NZ issued card, not AU.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 3:27 am

Programs: QFF Plat, CX/AM, UA, SQ
Originally Posted by AshleyF
As for entering the U.S... Make sure that you have business ticked as the main reason for entering . Also they have the 'right' not to allow your spouse through with you.
A lesson learnt the hard way at LAX. A jumbo load of passengers ahead of us , solely because the obese Immigration man decided to play god.
First time for me having ANY issue with the card.
Think I struck the same guy coming into LAX! He doesn't appear to be a happy man at the best of times.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 4:43 pm
kev

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTG, SPG Titanium
I definitely think its random - that is YMMV as to how long it takes to receive clearance on all of the countries and which ones are cleared quickly and not so quickly.

As an example I applied for my APEC last December and received the interim card by end January with clearances for everything except NZ, Japan, China and Brunei. I got the new card with the complete suite of countries by April. Another two colleagues applied for theirs a week before me. One has only just received his final card with all of the countries including China, and the other beat me and got his in late March.

As to where I've been sucessful using it and not...it has come in handy in Australia, NZ, Singapore, HK and within the USA in LAX, BOS and JFK, so definitely worth the $200!
Old Nov 27, 2008, 1:16 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
I applied for my card in early June. By end of July I had first interim card with all but China, Singapore & PNG. By 18 August I had second card and the only one missing was China .... which is still missing and of course the one country where it would really come in handy, as it is quite a process to get a business visa for China, and will have to try and get my second visa in 3 months next week (hopefully they'll allow a 6 month this time).
Old Nov 27, 2008, 9:34 pm

Programs: QF LTG, TG *P, IHG P
Originally Posted by lokijuh
I applied for my card in early June. By end of July I had first interim card with all but China, Singapore & PNG. By 18 August I had second card and the only one missing was China .... which is still missing and of course the one country where it would really come in handy, as it is quite a process to get a business visa for China, and will have to try and get my second visa in 3 months next week (hopefully they'll allow a 6 month this time).
My colleague received his APEC China approval this week.
Also, the China consulate in Melbourne is giving 12 month multiple entry visas again.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 9:47 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by gaia
My colleague received his APEC China approval this week.
Also, the China consulate in Melbourne is giving 12 month multiple entry visas again.
I hope you will be able to get longer than 12 months visas soon as well.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:18 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Clearance from China usually takes the longest for your APEC Card.

With the Olympics this year probably adding more delay.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 7:11 pm

applied in at the end of sep .
china, australia is on hold now
Old Dec 3, 2008, 1:52 pm

hi,

anyone have experience to use an interim card (which has not shown the country IE: China at back side ) enter in China ?
the question is I have see the country's approval on businessmobility's Status page, but final card is not issued yet.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 7:39 pm

Programs: CX Silver, QFF Bronze, Mabuhay Miles
You can only use the APEC card for names actually on the back of the card. If you tried to go to China using an APEC card without China on the back of the card, you wouldn't even make it on the plane.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 8:26 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Murphy's law in operation. My card with Chinese approval on the card came through today. This is after organising an urgent visa on Thursday which I picked up on Friday This is for my trip leaving Australia tomorrow afternoon and in China next week. At least I didn't go to the bother of organising a 6 month multiple entry, which was one suggestion.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 2:17 am

APEC

Well, i was just at the ORD two days ago, the officer didnt even know what APEC is. here is the short version of the story, kind of funny.

I got my APEC card not long ago, so excited to use it.
When i arrived ORD, i walked up to the "CREW/APEC" lane "proudly", and thought this is gonna be cool and easy, before i was even 20 feet away from the immigration officer,

the officer yelled "you dont come here, go that way"
I said "yes, i do", and i quickly walk up to him and showed him the CARD.
"what is this?"
"APEC Card"
"what the APEC Card?"
"it is the card APEC countries issue to business travelers, cardholder can use the AirCrew lane for expedited immigration processing...."
"I dont think this work here..."
"Yes it does, the lane even shows APEC, thats why i came here"
"Where you see that"
so, i pointed the sign right above his head, and he even walk out to see it.
I see he was so confused, and he asked the other officer next to him "have you seen this APEC thing before", and the other officer didnt know.
so they called the supervisor,
At that time, i thought this officer is gonna look stupid of not knowing what APEC is.
the supervisor came and look at the card front and back and says" are you a diplomatic officer?"
i said "no, but any card holder can use this lane, APEC...."
the supervisor cuts me off " i dont think so, we have our own regulations, we dont have this program"
I said "sir, The sign shows APEC"
he paused for awhile, (i am sure he was thinging in his head, what the hell is that?), "awhile ago, there was some kind of confrence, people attend that confrence has gone through this lane before. Maybe it was for that confrence, what do you call that Asia pacific Econ Confrence?"

I was want to laugh out loud, "how stupid this supervisor is", i didnt know what to do and what to say anymore, i didnt want to piss him off and give me trobules...

the aircrews starts to coming to my lane, there were about 20 people behind already.

finally, he told the officer to process me first, and told me "i will let you go first, but only this time"

geez. Americans... no "HOME LAND Sercurities"....

after i got back, i went online look thought the Home land and border website, and didnt find anything rearding the ABTC.

finally, i searched a news from the whitehouse website, for those of you want to use the ABTC at US immigration, think twice before you walk up the that "CREW/APEC" lane, maybe it will help to print this out to bring with you.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea.../20070909.html

good luck, and good luck try to bring anther person with you, casue i wont.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 2:15 am

Programs: SQ *G, QF S, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Advantage Platinum
Has anyone tried using the APEC card when crossing from Hong Kong into China using the Ferry to Panyu?

I know it will work for all the airports, and I have seen people say they use it for the train, but what about the Ferry? Will the customs peple have seen it before, as my visa?

Don't want to get left behind from my group trying to sort it out.

Thanks,
Old Jun 11, 2009, 10:06 pm

Programs: QFWP1+LTG,TG-Silver, SQ-Silver,HHonors-Diamond,Marriott Rewards-Silver,SPG
Originally Posted by Gotta Requalify
Has anyone tried using the APEC card when crossing from Hong Kong into China using the Ferry to Panyu?

I know it will work for all the airports, and I have seen people say they use it for the train, but what about the Ferry? Will the customs peple have seen it before, as my visa?

Don't want to get left behind from my group trying to sort it out.

Thanks,
Used APEC card for multiple ferry entries through Shunde Terminal (also Pearl River Delta) with no problems , so I presume Panyu would be ok although no personal experience at this port.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.