Community
Wiki Posts
Search

APEC card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2005, 3:04 pm

Programs: QF Plat & Lifetime Gold, Velocity Gold, SQ PPS
Originally Posted by AshleyF
does the China APEC clearance mean I don't have to have a visa now?
I believe that is correct. My understanding is that the ABTC replaces whatever visa requirements are normally required for each country. That's why I don't get a visa when I visit Indonesia anymore ...
Old Jun 22, 2005, 7:45 pm

I have China!

Yes, China does come through. After giving up on getting China on my APEC card I received a new card in the mail last month with China added. Not that I travel to China but it's good to have the "complete" set.

Now if only we can do something for the USA. Now that I have an L-class work visa it takes longer to go through immigration than when I was using the Visa waiver program!

Glenn
Old Jun 22, 2005, 8:19 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by woodg
Yes, China does come through.
How long did it take???
Old Jun 23, 2005, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by moa999
How long did it take???
It was about 12 months. I applied in May 2004 and the China approval came sometime between mid-April and late June 2005 (I was overseas at the time and it was in my mail when I arrived home).
Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:21 am

Programs: AAPlat,QF,SQ,KE ,SPG,OZ
I have the HKIA card - a frequent visitors card for express lane on arrival at HKG. It is a card issued by the HKG Airport.

I can use the same line as APEc card holders, but the card came through quickly- just send in the application, with a copy of your passport- and the pages showing at least 3 visits to HKG, through the airport in the last 12 months. At this stage there is no express lane on departure, though there was some hint that it would be coming some time in the future. It seems that there is never a long wait on departure in HKG for me though- but on arrival, it has been very helpful.

I only wish I had an APEC card for quick entry here in Korea- the lines at ICN are a nightmare- as a resident alien, I still can't use the Korean line...
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
With the APEC card being for business use only, has anyone had any issues with using it on a "leisure" trip where you have marked your arrivals card as such?
I was able to exit using the APEC lane yesterday on a leisure trip, accompanied by my non-Australian-citizen-non-APEC-holder wife.

Oh, hello from smoggy Bangalore.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 9:26 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
Some recent experiences:

China: I have China approved! And it worked well at Beijing.

Indonesia: It saves the cost of a visa on arrival.

USA: Despite what the APEC website says ( http://www.apec.org/apec/business_re...s_travel0.html ) they didn't seem to have heard of it at LAX (but let me use the crew line anyway) and at Miami they steadfastly refused to recognise it saying "We have our on rules in Miami -we don't know anything about APEC".
Old Nov 8, 2008, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Austman

USA: Despite what the APEC website says ( http://www.apec.org/apec/business_re...s_travel0.html ) they didn't seem to have heard of it at LAX (but let me use the crew line anyway) and at Miami they steadfastly refused to recognise it saying "We have our on rules in Miami -we don't know anything about APEC".
At LAX T4 arrivals, there is a dedicated APEC immigration desk on the far left side of the immigration hall. Really great, when I was there recently, a medium queue for US passport holders and a v long one for others. APEC desk had noone there at all; walk straight up

Dave
Old Nov 8, 2008, 2:52 pm

Some recent experiences:

China: I have China approved! And it worked well at Beijing.

Same in SFO; despite there being a sign. Immigration agent told me I had to be a US citizen to use the crew line; this was back in May so may have improved since then.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
At LAX T4 arrivals, there is a dedicated APEC immigration desk ...
Last Saturday arriving at TBIT, I was looking for same but was unable to espy any. Mind you, the place looks like it's only ½ done (whether that's, "Built", "Renovated" or "Demolished" I'm not sure).
Old Nov 8, 2008, 5:02 pm

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
At Miami I even had a copy printed out of http://www.apec.org/apec/business_re...s_travel0.html . A supevisor took my card and after 10 mins came back and said "No way you get to use the crew line - you must be flight crew and you must be in uniform".

When an immigration official says that, I guess you have to accept it, even though you know they are probably wrong...

MEL-LAX goes to TBIT so no APEC signs or lanes (that I could see...)
Old Nov 8, 2008, 5:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

At Miami I even had a copy printed out of http://www.apec.org/apec/business_re...s_travel0.html . A supevisor took my card and after 10 mins came back and said "No way you get to use the crew line - you must be flight crew and you must be in uniform".

When an immigration official says that, I guess you have to accept it, even though you know they are probably wrong...

MEL-LAX goes to TBIT so no APEC signs or lanes (that I could see...)
Drop [email protected] an email and inform them of the issues that you have had in the USA so that they try and addresss them

Hopefully the US situation will improve when the USA starts issuing APEC cards themselves

Dave
Old Nov 8, 2008, 8:27 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Some recent experiences:

Hi Austman, I do a lot of Indonesian travel, and very keen to hear how the card works there, eg how you are entering without paying the US25. I assume you still pay the exit fee, even though with two trips a month sometimes, thats half a Hyatt room night or the next size up lobster dinner, regards bkkrop
Old Nov 8, 2008, 8:55 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
No issues in ORD either.
Dedicated line at Line 57/58 that has Crew / APEC signage and additional floorboards pointing out the line to those walking up to the Line 1 side first.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 9:00 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
I used the APEC card line at JFK in April in Terminal 1 and had no problems except scoring a secondary inspection. However I was still first out the terminal even with the small delay. I find it annoying that WLG and CHC always have their APEC lines closed when ever I go through and I end up having to line up. Especially in WLG.

BKKROP - you can find out more about the card at www.apec.org but it replaces the requirement for a short term visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.