EBU (Nalanji) may never fly again!

Old May 28, 2005, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Unhappy EBU (Nalanji) may never fly again!

From YSSY:
EBU is indefinalty in storage at the moment. There hasnt been a descision made on her fate yet, but it is looking grim from what i have been told. (ie never going to fly again)
That is rather sad news. When are QF meant to be retiring the 743s? Maybe they don't see a point in upgrading Nalanji so she will be the first to go? Also another question, what will happen to 743 routes such as NRT, HNL and MNL if the 743 is retired? Will all of these go to AO or would QF look at more 333s for these route?

Also if this does mean the end for Nalanji, they better repaint the livery on a new plane like a 333 or 744. It would be good if she could be taken to Longreach - that would be a rather nice sight

Any more info? Hope you are all having fun at OzFest!

From a sad David
Old May 28, 2005, 2:39 am

Programs: QP Silver; CX MPC Green; Virgin AusRed
Originally Posted by QF NB

That is rather sad news. When are QF meant to be retiring the 743s? Maybe they don't see a point in upgrading Nalanji so she will be the first to go? Also another question, what will happen to 743 routes such as NRT, HNL and MNL if the 743 is retired? Will all of these go to AO or would QF look at more 333s for these route?
I guess the B743 would stay in fleet for a while since they had just received a cabin upgrade not too long ago, but perhaps this might not apply to Nalanji since it has yet to receive her upgrade. The B743 routes *could* be operated by the A332 since it is widely rumoured that they would be leaving the domestic fleet soon and receive a cabin upgrade for international service (Dreamtime J seat and PTV in Y etc.)

Also if this does mean the end for Nalanji, they better repaint the livery on a new plane like a 333 or 744. It would be good if she could be taken to Longreach - that would be a rather nice sight
Personally I would also love to see a B744 painted in the Nalanji livery (but I guess it would look really odd on A333 IMHO). As for taking the plane to Longreach, it would nice too, but do they have room/need for two B747's?
Old May 28, 2005, 5:58 am

Programs: Malaysia Enrich, Priority Club
Unhappy

Sad David,

I believe that was me that asked the question of VH-EBU on YSSY! I ehard she was in storage due to the fact that they took the engine off her for use on another 743 that was down there for a refit, and now they are having triuble getting new RR D4 engines!

Lets hope she makes a return!.

Cheers,

Lachlan

p.s i snuck a good shot of nalanji VH-EBU when i was leavign the airshow, with the sun shinning in the right spot and u could see her nose sneakign out of the hangar
Old May 28, 2005, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Speculation the 332s may receive SkyBed!

I guess the B743 would stay in fleet for a while since they had just received a cabin upgrade not too long ago, but perhaps this might not apply to Nalanji since it has yet to receive her upgrade. The B743 routes *could* be operated by the A332 since it is widely rumoured that they would be leaving the domestic fleet soon and receive a cabin upgrade for international service (Dreamtime J seat and PTV in Y etc.)
Hey Ricky. I've actually heard that QF may be paying the $75 odd million to have the floors strengthened on the 332s, so that it can handle SkyBed. I have also heard that it will be used to open up routes such as Beijing and Delhi but in my mind may also operate Manilla, Tokyo and Mumbai. I can imagine a number of people will be happy to see it discontinue Australian domestic services and be deployed on Asian routes. Hmm maybe the 333 would look funny in Nalanji colours but I am hoping that it will be at least be painted on some aircraft within the fleet (if EBU is retired)

The QFOM museum at Longreach probably wouldn't need another 747, but I would hope that it isn't scrapped. It would be a rather nice sight thought basking in the outback sun at Longreach ^

I will have to see that photo of your's Lachlan. Send it to me on msn if you like

Cheers
David
Old May 28, 2005, 7:55 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
I am glad I to ride on EBU on a BNE-SYD flight just before she went down to AVV. I was a little disappointed when I saw her at the gate, but it was only an hour flight, and just a connection to a 744ER in F to LAX, so I was not too worried.

I don't think EBU's storage is any indication of the fate of the rest of the 743 fleet. Just a matter of economics. They only need 5 operating to meet the current route demands, and EBU is due to expensive maintenance and they needed the engines due to lack of available spares.

I too expect to see the A332s on international routes by the end of the year, with either Skybeds or Dreamtimes and IFE in WHY. And more 763s on domestic trunks and/or in AO colours.
Old May 29, 2005, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Exclamation First 717 (VH-VQC) back in QantasLink colours...

While on the topic of QF aircraft, the first 717 is back in QantasLink colours... ^

Here is a picture of VH-VQC (717). That red on the tail is stunning. Now if only all QF tails were like that. It's nice and bright.

And for those interested I have heard that the QFLink 717 will first start flying on WA routes namely Perth to Port Headland before it starts the Top End and Cairns.

Thanks to Mike B. for the pic.

Cheers
David
Old May 29, 2005, 2:59 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Was Wunala Dreaming always on the same aircraft? I have flown the paint scheme on 7 flights but I am not sure if it was always the same aircraft. Could the same be done for the blue whale?
Old May 29, 2005, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by spotwelder
Was Wunala Dreaming always on the same aircraft? I have flown the paint scheme on 7 flights but I am not sure if it was always the same aircraft.
Wunala was on -OJB from the inception of the scheme (incl the Farnborough flypast display) until she went in for a major check - prob a D check though others will know better - and came out wearing her normal uniform. Shortly after that, one of the -ERs had Wunala applied and that's where the scheme has been ever since.
Old May 29, 2005, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Wunala Dreaming..

I have heard that VH-OJB (Old Wunala Dreaming) had First Class removed in Auckland in January 2003. I am pretty certain this was when the 'Wunala Dreaming' livery was removed from her as this photo here shows a new -400E/R with Qantas titles and the basic red needed for the Wunala livery. That photo was taken in July 2003.

Cheers
David
Old May 29, 2005, 6:57 am

Programs: QP Silver; CX MPC Green; Virgin AusRed
That red on the tail is stunning. Now if only all QF tails were like that. It's nice and bright.
I hae to agree the read looks really good but much brighter than usual. Maybe it is nice and bright because it is fresh from the paintshop, I would be very sure the color would 'fade' back to a more normal level once it's been flying for a while.

Another good contrast is B744 VH-OJR spotting a fresh paint job with a before shot.
Old May 29, 2005, 6:19 pm
NM

The new Wunala Dreaming is VH-OEJ, a 747-400ER. OJB is now in 2-class config, while OEJ is 3-class and a regular into LAX.
Old May 30, 2005, 2:57 am

When i spoke to the F/A on my flight in wunala, that OJB was told old so they repainted another a/c Hmm

There are many rumours goign around about nalanji. The latest ones ive heard are that there is another QF 743 being ferried down there and it will donate its engines Also that they have kept it down there so they can repaint it in a commenwealth games scheme A lot of rumours basically
Old May 30, 2005, 6:58 am
Original Poster

A Commonwealth Games livery? Sounds interesting. Would be a nice change.

Please keep us up to date Lachlan, if there are any more Nalanji and Commonwealth Games Livery news.

Cheers
David
Old May 30, 2005, 5:54 pm
NM

EBU was the first of the 743s to get the avionics upgrade a few years back. At the time that was done, they were not ready to complete the cabin upgrade, which is why it is now the lact to get the Dreamtime upgrade.

I assume it is now due to an expensive maintenance program, perhaps a D-check, and since they currently only need 5 x 743 for the scheduled operations, there is no point in spending the money just yet.

They would only swap it for a different 743 when the next one is due to similar exteneded maintenance, so that may well happen depending on the maintenance schedules for the 743's. I am sure they could get more engines from somewhere if they were really desperate to get it back in the air or to keeo all 6 of them in the air.

A commonwealth games scheme would be a good idea. I would guess that such a scheme would not be painted onto a 744-ER since they primarily serve the USA routes and the USA is not a commonwealth country and hence to invited to the games. So perhaps a 747-438 used regularly on the Kangaroo route may make sense.
Old May 30, 2005, 11:07 pm

personally i think a commenwealth games scheme would be pretty useless! Thats just me though.

I would love to see the Nalanji dreaming on a 744ER. I think it would look odd on a A380

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.