Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Donate points to support Tsunami Relief

Donate points to support Tsunami Relief

Old Dec 31, 2004, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Silver,PP,PCR Gold,GP, Starwood, BA Exec,
Thumbs up Donate points to support Tsunami Relief

This is a great idea being led by IHG, it would be good to see Airlines like Qantas, BA etc following in the steps of its Hotel partners. Over to you Qantas?

3points :-:

(InterContinental Hotels/Priority Club
Priority Club members can donate Priority Club points in increments of 10,000 points to the following relief agencies directly involved in Southeast Asia: American Red Cross, C.A.R.E. and UNICEF. Members can donate online:
Donate Priority Club Points

Or by calling the Priority Club service center at 1-800-272-9273.

NOTE: Members who donate their points to UNICEF to help support Tsunami relief efforts in Asia will have the points converted to US dollars and added to a donation fund which will be matched by InterContinental Hotels Group up to a maximum of $125,000.)
Old Dec 31, 2004, 4:20 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
I don't want to be negative, but won't it be more useful just to donate cash rather than airline FF points? I presume the points would be mainly used to redeem flights (but QF is already quite generous in that regard) whereas cash can be used to buy whatever is needed? Personally, I will donate cash and use my QF points for my own award addiction.

I suppose if you had a few orphan points to get rid off, you could donate them but most schemes I have seen are multiples of 1000's eg starting at 5000 points.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kpc
I don't want to be negative, but won't it be more useful just to donate cash rather than airline FF points? I presume the points would be mainly used to redeem flights (but QF is already quite generous in that regard) whereas cash can be used to buy whatever is needed? Personally, I will donate cash and use my QF points for my own award addiction.
The points donation from Intercontinental get converted to $US rather than offering hotel stays

As it says on their site

"Donate your points to UNICEF to help support Tsunami relief efforts in Asia. Points will be converted to US dollars and added to a donation fund which will be matched by InterContinental Hotels Group up to a maximum of $125,000."

If they are converting on a 1 - 1 basis ( as it seems to suggest) then it seems incredibly generous of ICH ( 10,000 points => USD20,000 )

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Dec 31, 2004 at 4:34 pm
Old Dec 31, 2004, 8:36 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If they are converting on a 1 - 1 basis ( as it seems to suggest) then it seems incredibly generous of ICH ( 10,000 points => USD20,000 ) Dave
I'm not so sure they are being so generous...they don't explicitly say they are converting it on a 1:1 basis. On doing a quick a search, post Sept 11, they were offering the following:

http://frequentflier.com/reliefmiles.htm
Six Continents Hotels
Members of Six Continents' Priority Club Worldwide can donate Priority Club points in increments of 2,500 for a $10 cash donation to the American Red Cross. Priority Club Worldwide will match each point donation. Call the Priority Club Worldwide Service Center at 1-800-447-3418 (reference code NB199)
So if they are following the same conversion rate this time, 10000 points will be converted to US$80...better than nothing but not nearly as generous.

One other important point: Cash donations are tax deductable whereas, airline / hotel point donations are not!

And from here, not all progarms are converting them to cash.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/annou...ouncementid=57

...so I personally will be sticking to donating cash

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.