Toilets on A332 J class

Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Toilets on A332 J class

Am I the only one in disbelief at how Qantas can get away with only one toilet for 28 business class pax + crew and pilots?

I fly a lot between Asia and Australia on QF and I find having to line up to use the bathroom inconvenient, especially when paying business class airfares.

On one SIN-MEL overnight flight, the J class bathroom was in continuous use by pax from 4am till landing at 10am. I now stress out at having to wake up early enough to freshen up before landing. Forget changing pajamas!

In the earlier 2-2-2 configuration, there were 36 seats but 2 toilets (18/pax). The A333 has 2 toilets for 28 pax (14/pax).

28 pax to one toilet must be the worst pax to toilet ratio amongst major airlines in J class. It's almost like they forgot to put one more toilet into the A332!!

Alas the new 787 config coming next year is only marginally better with 3 toilets for 70 J and PEY seats.

I now fly SQ when I can!

Is it too late for QF to do something about it? It's a shame since the new seats are brilliant.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
Saves QF money in having less toilets on board.
Think of it that way.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:47 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Sounds like you got the version also used on domestic flights.

I flew the International version last week and it has two toilets in J so works better.

However, I hate the seats, way too small and if you get the console between you and the aisle I feel quite claustrophobic. Two J round trips this year, to NRT and HKG from Australia and I know to pick my seats very carefully.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
The 332's (all of them) were obviously configured for domestic services and little or no thought was given to any possible international use; their increasing appearance on international routes is a pretty shabbly act by QF. The nasty plasticky seat upholstery on the J seats is another minus; it becomes quite hot and sticky after a while, unlike the cloth upholstery on the 333's.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:16 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by whughes3
The 332's (all of them) were obviously configured for domestic services and little or no thought was given to any possible international use; their increasing appearance on international routes is a pretty shabbly act by QF. The nasty plasticky seat upholstery on the J seats is another minus; it becomes quite hot and sticky after a while, unlike the cloth upholstery on the 333's.
IIRC QF have been quite active in removing toilets from the long haul fleet. Didn't the 380s lose a toilet in J some years ago? Maybe it's QF strategy for making sure everyone in J wakes early (before breakfast) and quickly changes out of their PJs because of the horrid queues in the last hour of the flight.

And I'm also no fan of (fake) leather seats.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Have often wondered (when standing waiting for toilet) if airlines could temporarily (i.e. towards the end of the flight) set up a curtained off an area for changing. Not everyone needs the toilet. But probably too space constrained on the 330 anyway.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:43 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
The crew must hate the toilet queue as it goes right into the galley.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:43 pm

Had the same thought on a recent flight, and it's correct that the 1x28 is domestic config. The crew explained there were lots of complaints.

Thankfully they setup changing areas next to door two at the beginning and end of the flight.

A neat thing about the A332 is that 7K has a privacy curtain which can be drawn when sleeping, almost like AF first!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
The crew must hate the toilet queue as it goes right into the galley.
The crew hates it! They are embarrassed too.

I hope QF will do the right thing and reinstate a toilet on the 332s. But I am not holding my breath.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Sing
On one SIN-MEL overnight flight, the J class bathroom was in continuous use by pax from 4am till landing at 10am.
Hate to see how the economy class pax put up with the 1:49 ratio then - surely J class pax don't take twice as long.

I agree that ratio is poor for the overnight flights back from Asia when the 332s are used on these routes.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:13 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by moa999
Hate to see how the economy class pax put up with the 1:49 ratio then - surely J class pax don't take twice as long.

I agree that ratio is poor for the overnight flights back from Asia when the 332s are used on these routes.
I think the issue when there is only one toilet vs two, is that one person can really hold up the queue. If there are two, then at least the likelihood of both having "long sitters" is reduced and flow control is a bit better.

So although the Y ratio is much worse, practically it can be better.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Qantas are now industry innovators in cannibalising premium cabin toilets. When they do offer them, such as A380 F lavs, they are pathetic and fade in comparison to other first rate airlines. EK's J lavs are better than QF's F lavs!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.