Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF 1/2 to be rerouted via SIN by March 25, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF 1/2 to be rerouted via SIN by March 25, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by sxc
Regardless of work - this timing has always worked well for my body clock. Leaving HKG at midnight, head to bed onboard, and then wake up at dawn for landing.
Me too. I usually take the morning flight out of SYD on CX get to HKG late afternoon, head into town to meet a few friends for beers and dinner, then head back to the airport well fed and lubricated, get on board watch a movie and go to sleep.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: QF P1, VA Velocity, Etihad P, IHG SPE Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by m0hamed
As for product, I don't rate QF F. It's one the least exciting F products IMHO.
It's ok but I agree it's looking very tired and hasn't aged well. By far the biggest issue for Qantas with me in long haul is the lack of WIFI it actually stops me flying with them more then any other issue.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by RealityBites
Apparently not.

As far as I can tell, the passengers that QANTAS was carrying on its own metal via DXB pretty much all went though to LHR (and vice versa). The passengers bound for other European destinations (and v-v) generally flew on EK metal (even if on a QF code share).
Originally Posted by dddc
No.

And the whole thing is interesting as I'd heard (maybe speculated on here) that QF were going to use the B787s to fly to Dubai from BNE, ADL, PER to give people a choice of them or Emirates. Not the case obviously!
So now in order to access the EK F lounge at DXB, one will have to be either flying F or have elite status with EK or QF. No more lounge for us OWEs....
Old Sep 2, 2017, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Will this affect the QF/EK JV from a legislative point of view? In Europe airlines can only have JVs if they both serve the market concerned with their own metal (hence BA continues to DOH with pathetic loads and an inferior product to QR, simply to 'activate' the JV). If one carrier pulled out the arrangement would fall to a traditional codeshare deal instead, with no revenue share or anti-trust immunity. Does anything similar apply in Australia?
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Ausriver
So will QF still fly to DXB at all?
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
From what I understand yes, but only as code-share on EK metal. No QF metal at all.
So the short answer is no, not yes.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold
Very good news.

Makes SYD-SIN-BKK in economy much more desirable than the direct SYD-BKK A330 service. Coming back from BKK early April 2018 and may hold off booking flights until everything is confirmed.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: QF; BA; SQ; VA
Will be interesting to see if the Syd-Sin-LHR route or the Mel-Per-LHR routes will carry EK code shares....

Also I do hope the renewed focus on Sin persuades QF to up gauge Per-Sin from a 737 , currently a terrible experience
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:36 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Andrew Yeates
Will be interesting to see if the Syd-Sin-LHR route or the Mel-Per-LHR routes will carry EK code shares....

Also I do hope the renewed focus on Sin persuades QF to up gauge Per-Sin from a 737 , currently a terrible experience
ISTR somewhere upthread that there will not be an EK code on the QF flights that overfly the ME ( happy to be corrected though! ).
Old Sep 2, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by og
ISTR somewhere upthread that there will not be an EK code on the QF flights that overfly the ME ( happy to be corrected though! ).
Indeed: the UAE's air service treaty with the UK does not permit UAE airlines (including EK) to put their codes on SIN-LHR.

Under the 1972 Treaty with the UAE, codeshares are only permitted where it would be permissible to run a real service (so it would require EK to have permission to fly SIN-LHR, which they don't).

The same restriction is retained in the 2014 treaty, which in my understanding while it has been signed it is not yet in force.

You will also see this in the travel agent guide that deeruck linked upthread.
6. Will EK codeshare on QF1/QF2 between Sydney and Singapore?
• Yes. EK will codeshare on QF1 and QF2 services between Sydney and Singapore. EK will not codeshare on QF1 and QF2 services between Singapore and London because EK does not have regulatory approval to operate these sectors.
Originally Posted by deeruck
Travel agent guide has a few details.

Last edited by Calchas; Sep 2, 2017 at 3:08 pm
Old Sep 2, 2017, 4:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by luftaom
I have never quite understood the focus on the pre dawn LHR arrivals after a super longhaul (atlantic arrivals I get - but not from Australia).
I prefer it. Makes the arrival day easier to schedule and more productive, and if connecting onwards it provides more options than a later flight.

That said, where I live now has horrible connections at SYD for SYD-LHR and so if flying QF/EK I arrive in LHR later in the day. Alternatively I take other airlines which have schedules that accommodate early am arrival into LHR.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
Will this affect the QF/EK JV from a legislative point of view? In Europe airlines can only have JVs if they both serve the market concerned with their own metal (hence BA continues to DOH with pathetic loads and an inferior product to QR, simply to 'activate' the JV). If one carrier pulled out the arrangement would fall to a traditional codeshare deal instead, with no revenue share or anti-trust immunity. Does anything similar apply in Australia?
No.
ACCC can approve any deal it wants and reject any deal it doesn't.

There aren't many airlines in Australia. Rules are made up as situations evolve .

Also from an AUS-GB perspective both carriers still have their own metal. Only the stopping point changes.

QF1/2 will only have EK code if purchased AUS-LHR. You will not be able to travel EK code SIN-LHR only (EK has no traffic right SIN-LHR).
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I just got an e-mail from QF, offering double Qantas points, and double Qantas status credits, in celebration of their return to SIN:

We’re celebrating our return to London direct from Singapore, and greater choice of Qantas flights when taking off overseas, with double Qantas Points.*

So, for 5 days only earn double points when you book an eligible flight operated by Qantas or Emirates with a 'QF' flight number on your ticket when flying to Australia, New Zealand, London or Europe.
Twice the reason to book - double Status Credits on eligible Qantas flights
As a special bonus for you, we are also offering double Status Credits on all eligible Qantas operated domestic or international flights with a 'QF' flight number on your ticket.#

Register and make a new booking between 4 September and 8 September 2017 and travel between 18 September 2017 and 6 September 2018.

5 days only! Book an eligible flight today and don't forget to include your Qantas Frequent Flyer number in your booking.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Same food in first and biz class. Virtually the same amenities these days (PJs and kit). You get a guaranteed flat bed in First (no droop), and upgraded champagne. But nothing much to write home about.
QF F doesn't offer the bling of the ME carriers and isn't as grand as SQ Suites. But the bed IMO is the most comfortable in the sky, and the cabin temperature is usually kept at a cooler level than the ME carriers or CX.

Of the Oneworld carriers it is currently my preferred F cabin (only ahead of CX because CX doesn't offer F all the way to MEL).
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
Originally Posted by QF Lad
I liked the QF29 & 30 MEL-HKG-LHR.

That midnight departure from Melbourne meant you could work the whole day in Melbourne, go home and pack and then go out to the airport.

However it is still possible to replicate these flight times on CX and (if you are willing to go via SIN) on SQ as well as other airlines.

When customers had the choice of QF9/10 via SIN and QF 29/30 via HKG yields and bookings were always higher on QF9/10 for some reason.
All other things being equal, flight arrival times really are a personal preference. I agree entirely about the QF29/30 timings - a whole day here was more valuable for me than arriving at dawn in LHR. I think the so-called "optics" of the full day in London are important for some people. It's never been important for me and "optics" don't make any impression on me.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by sxc
So the SIN lounge is going to get pretty crowded?
They will need to vastly upgrade their current lounge. The food options are very minimal and may have to resort pushing some passenger to the BA lounge especially in the early evening hours when it isn't used.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.