Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

SYD-BNE-LRE - Domestic Business Lounge access in BNE arriving in J, connecting to Y?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYD-BNE-LRE - Domestic Business Lounge access in BNE arriving in J, connecting to Y?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci

Hello people,

I am a oneworld Sapphire frequent flyer and I'm flying SYD-BNE-LRE.

The SYD-BNE is in J while the BNE-LRE is in Y since it's QantasLink on an all Y Dash 8.

Is it possible to use the Domestic Business Lounge in BNE on the connection?

Anyone have any experiences of this? Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
In theory, no.

In practice, show your inbound Business boarding pass and chances are they will permit access.
Bundy Bear likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: QANTAS, Oneworld
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Is it possible to use the Domestic Business Lounge in BNE on the connection
OW Sapphire is equivalent to QANTAS Gold, so you should be fine.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RealityBites
OW Sapphire is equivalent to QANTAS Gold, so you should be fine.
OW Sapphire does not get access to the Business Lounge, only the Qantas Club Lounge

Since the passenger is departing in economy class, there is no entitlement to access the Business Class lounge ; whether the agent will grant access based on the inbound flight, is something that will need to see on the day

I wouldn't worry about whether can access the lounge - it is not that much better than the Qantas Club
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your replies, much appreciated!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Hello people,

I am a oneworld Sapphire frequent flyer and I'm flying SYD-BNE-LRE.

The SYD-BNE is in J while the BNE-LRE is in Y since it's QantasLink on an all Y Dash 8.

Is it possible to use the Domestic Business Lounge in BNE on the connection?

Anyone have any experiences of this? Thanks in advance!
I would be quietly confident you'd get to use the J Lounge based on your class of service on the incarriage flight and the fact there is no J cabin BNE/LRE so it's not possible to fly anything other than whY on Dash8's.

I know of people who are non-elites who have been in whY BNE/SYD connecting to a flight in J on QF metal ex SYD who have been given access to the J Lounge in BNE.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
OW Sapphire does not get access to the Business Lounge, only the Qantas Club Lounge
<sigh>

In the overall circumstance described, arriving on a J ticket with OWS status will easily get the OP into the BNE J lounge.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RealityBites
<sigh>

In the overall circumstance described, arriving on a J ticket with OWS status will easily get the OP into the BNE J lounge.
No it doesn't ; lounge access is based on class of service of the flight on which the passenger is departing - the passenger is departing in economy class , so does not have access to the Business Lounge by virtue of class of service

SYD-BNE is not a longhaul flight, so the exceptions for long haul travel do not apply

The passenger has OW Sapphire status, which does provide access to the Qantas Club lounge but NOT the Business Lounge

Last edited by Dave Noble; Aug 17, 2017 at 5:15 pm
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
so does not have access to the Business Lounge by virtue of class of service
Perhaps in a perfect world, theory and actual on the ground practice at all locations do perfectly align.

My experience in the real world at BNE is somewhat different.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:53 pm

I was transiting through BNE yesterday and asked the service desk staff in the QANTAS club about your secenario. They said it depends on the occupancy of the Business lounge on the day, but for the circumstances described they would always look at what they can do.

FWIW, I arrived on a J ticket and left on a Y ticket, with layer J sectors on the day, and they offered me access to the Business lounge. The service desk is right outside the Business lounge entry.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:35 am

Ignore
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
I just became Platinum on QF and curious what is the difference between the Business Lounge and the Qantas Club?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Better food and drinks.

More helpful desk staff IMO.
RealityBites likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Better food and drinks, for example the wine is a step up, live cooking area, less crowded and an overall in my mind better layout. Overall seems less hectic, quieter etc etc.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Just to let you know, today is flight day. On arrival at Brisbane we toddled on over to the Domestic Business Lounge (walking past the Qantas Club).

Had both sets of boarding passes and said we'd just flown in from Sydney in Business Class and were on the way to Longreach and were we permitted into the Domestic Business Lounge.

Immediate response was a waving of the arm to permit access and some envious comments about how she hadn't yet made it to the museum in Longreach and to make sure we wing walk!

Absolutely no issue whatsoever. Just to let you know.
BD1959, serfty, deeruck and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.