Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Is Discounted Economy a Dirty Word at Qantas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Discounted Economy a Dirty Word at Qantas?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by inpd
I fly a lot of last/first legs on Qantas after flying in on AA.com

A few times I've asked question like going standby and the response is always "but this is a discounted economy ticket" said with a bit of a sneer?

In the US most tickets are discounted economy, is that not the case at QF?

I ask this because I'm flying back soon (QF MEL-SYD) then using AA. I'm a bit worried if I misconnect QF will treat me shabbily. It's all ticketed on AA but AA has no presence in MEL and minimal presence in SYD.

That response is likely due to the number of people who buy the cheapest inflexible tickets...but then try to be put on a different flight..... the agent probably just assumed you were trying it on. As already said..if the QF flight is late they will make it right and get you home.

P.S. have a look at all the threads about European airlines - where US citizens are asking the same questions.. "why can't I standby?" It would appear Standby is largely a US airline concept.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks, but it was more than just going standby.

It just seemed (to me) that I was in the small minority with my T Fare Class ticket.

Good to know QF will make it right.

Originally Posted by trooper
That response is likely due to the number of people who buy the cheapest inflexible tickets...but then try to be put on a different flight..... the agent probably just assumed you were trying it on.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It just seemed (to me) that I was in the small minority with my T Fare Class ticket.

You are probably not in a small minority - but seems that you enter the low percentage of travellers ( but likely a largdish number) of those in that group that are attempting to travel on earlier flights; I suspect that the agents have a fair number of people a day trying to use an inflexible ticket as if it was flexible

Given that it is not permitted to rebook on day of travel, unless there is some other reason ( e.g. flight cancelled or has a long delay ) perhaps just take boarding pass for your booked flight and go; that way there will be no opportunity for any sneering , perceived or otherwise
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: QANTAS, Oneworld
It just seemed (to me) that I was in the small minority with my T Fare Class ticket
QANTAS doesn't have a T class for domestic travel so I suppose that is an AA ticket class (coach award), which seems to be right down the bottom of the AA ticket code heirarchy.

Probably equivalent to QANTAS O (or one of the other similar Red e-Deal codes).
ozflygirl747 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold

AFAIK Qantas don't have standby like you do in the US, so this might be where you are struggling. You either can change the ticket completely (with the appropriate fare difference and fees, or it may not be allowed at all. i.e. it is rebooked or not.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by travelislife
AFAIK Qantas don't have standby like you do in the US, so this might be where you are struggling. You either can change the ticket completely (with the appropriate fare difference and fees, or it may not be allowed at all. i.e. it is rebooked or not.
In my experience, the only time Qantas does standby is when a flight is cancelled and they aren't able to confirm a new flight within a reasonable period.

They once canceled a CBR-MEL flight I had booked and moved everyone to the earlier flight. I never got the message they said they left (they called the wrong number) and arrived at the airport in time for the now canceled flight. They put me on standby for the next 2 flights before confirming a seat on a flight 7 hours later.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:30 am

Programs: QF

Is 'T' class an ultra discount economy fare on AA or a Mile Saver award?

Originally Posted by RealityBites
QANTAS doesn't have a T class for domestic travel so I suppose that is an AA ticket class (coach award), which seems to be right down the bottom of the AA ticket code heirarchy.

Probably equivalent to QANTAS O (or one of the other similar Red e-Deal codes).
If you were on a discount economy fare eg fare buckets N, E, O, Q then no changes are permitted on the day, even if paying a fee.

Award tickets booked in 'X' class are treated as flexible fares so if there were 'X' class seats available they could be changed.

Commercial standby travel may happen from time to time for pax on flexible fares or occasionally on discounted fares in the case of IRROPS or some other network disruption when a 'flow forward' is in place. This would only be for pax with no checked luggage.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by ozbeachbabe

Commercial standby travel may happen from time to time for pax on flexible fares or occasionally on discounted fares in the case of IRROPS or some other network disruption when a 'flow forward' is in place. This would only be for pax with no checked luggage.
Standby does not happen in my experience - either rebooked and confirmed onto a flight or no change. Have not seen standby
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by ozbeachbabe
Is 'T' class an ultra discount economy fare on AA or a Mile Saver award?

If you were on a discount economy fare eg fare buckets N, E, O, Q then no changes are permitted on the day, even if paying a fee.

Award tickets booked in 'X' class are treated as flexible fares so if there were 'X' class seats available they could be changed.

T class is AAdvantage award economy class.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Standby does not happen in my experience - either rebooked and confirmed onto a flight or no change. Have not seen standby
Back CBR in the venin the late nineties, I often used to fly out of CBR in the evenings, mainly in B and Y class.

Several times I went "standby" at the gate; if any PAX failed to board in time, their seat would become available. Seems this was common practice, especially in the evening when parliament arose for the weekend/period.

Last edited by serfty; Aug 16, 2017 at 4:02 pm
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
Back CBR in the venin the late nineties, I often used to fly out of CBR in the evenings, mainly in B and Y class.

Several times I went "standby" at the gate; if any PAX failed to board in time, their seat would become available. Seems this was common practice, especially in the evening when parliament arose for the weekend/period.
Does Qantas still do this though ? I have not seen it

My post was intended to relate to current times - If going back far enough, I remember buying a standby ticket for LHR-MAN on BA but BA does not sell such tickets now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.