Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Wasting points upgrading to First with infants.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wasting points upgrading to First with infants.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I take it that it is ok then for the child to screm at top of lungs in business and economy then? just not in 1st?
Would it annoy me at McDonald's? Yeah, but I'd get over it.

Would it annoy me at the Plaza Athénée? It sure as hell would, and if the staff didn't do anything about it, I would never return. I might even make a post like OP's if I participated in a forum about dining.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You start with concern over parents not enjoying perks of premium cabin but somehow and up with your pain and suffering?

We've flown with kids a lot from early age mostly in premium and from parent's prospective it is worth it.

Misbehaving kids and irresponsible parents is a separate topic and this can be disruptive and unpleasant in any class. Unfortunately those occasional cases somehow end up being stereotyped - ime usually it's not the case and you don't even notice kids traveling nearby.

Cheers

Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
Yet again I see over eager young families upgrading to a premium cabin and not really able to enjoy the benefits!?

recently on QF12 family of 4 two boys about 5 and 6. Parents and kids each in a seat parents taking turns toileting, feeding, sitting with sons, operating seats and IFE. Kids calling out for their parents at top of their voices when they wanted something. Neither of the parents got more than an hour in their seats....really the logic evades me. What a waste of points and a much harder flight than say sitting beside their sons in Business Class and able to assist them with ease. Total disruption to other pax and most weren't impressed. What presses people to make such decisions. I know it's their right but was it really more comfortable for them? Totally destroyed my night flight back to Sydney from LAX. I'd even go as far as suggesting it borders on selfishness..:confused
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:04 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] We have these threads about once a year. And usually the thread goes nowhere. So just a friendly reminder: This is the QF forum, the place to discuss QF related matters. If this discussion isn't about kids in first class on Qantas it really doesn't belong here. [/mod hat]

On a personal note, I believe that if you are using public transport one has to be prepared for all the upsides and downsides public transport brings with it. And yes, I had kids ruin my premium class experience on some Qantas flights and yes, MircoDUF has ruined other pax' experience in premium cabins, most notably on NRT-SYD when MicroDUF was crying all night long as a baby.

Kids are a part of life. Even badly behaving kids. If you don't like it, don't use public transport.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by charlinator
Would it annoy me at McDonald's? Yeah, but I'd get over it.

Would it annoy me at the Plaza Athénée? It sure as hell would, and if the staff didn't do anything about it, I would never return. I might even make a post like OP's if I participated in a forum about dining.
Qantas is just a public transport - kids travel on it - need to live with it

Don't like it, then just use another form of transport or another airline which will only allow the type of passenger that you like to have on it.

I am not aware of any airlines that do say that young families must stay in business or economy ( other then a very few that limit under 2 year olds )
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
because they have equal right to travel on the flights

It is not a strawman at all - binge drinking seems to be an ongoing thing - and one that in some fora seems to be one made out to be something positive

I don't think that drinking should be permitted or encouraged on flights , but it is allowed on most airlines and I have to accept it is when I go on an alrline that permits it

If someone feels really strongly that only those that they feel merit being permitted in the cabin should be there --- either book the entire cabin or book on a private jet or find an airline that limits the cabin to the type of passenger that they feel should be there

On Qantas - there is no restriction on children in 1st class

It doesn't matter that the OP thinks it is a waste of points --- it is down to the person who booked it to decide whether the points cost was worth it

Next time , perhaps use an airline that doesn't allow infants in 1st class if it is an issue
I'll use Qantas and don't need a lecture when you clearly failed to note I agreed they had a right. to be there..that doesn't make it a successful or logical choice all things considered. Thus I'm unsure what your point is.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
The poster is not simply arguing that there was a behaviour issue with a specific person - the post goes on about "Wasting points upgrading to First with infants" (title) and "What a waste of points and a much harder flight than say sitting beside their sons in Business Class"

Why someone wants to upgrade is up to them

It is not a "stawman" - the OP started by deciding that it is a waste of points for these people to upgrade because he states that it would have been "much harder flight than say sitting beside their sons in Business Class and able to assist them with ease"

If he is arguing that a family group shouild not be upgrading, it is quite valid to point out that others would object to other groups - me, I think that those that want to drink should stay out of the cabin

However - if wanting to be able to restrict who sits in the cabin to those that are not wasting money/points by doing so, the solution is to book enough seats to do so;

If there is an issue - raise it with the cabin crew at the time. The individual behaviour of 1 person or group is not what the rant is on about but extrapolating out to it being a waste of points and that they should have stayed in business class ( and assumedly annoyed a larger group of people )

I take it that it is ok then for the child to screm at top of lungs in business and economy then? just not in 1st?

ask the OP - he titled the thread as "Wasting points upgrading to First with infants. "
Thanks for your rant but digging a hole wont help. I have every right to voice my observations and opinions. Which part of 'forum' evades you?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
I'll use Qantas and don't need a lecture when you clearly failed to note I agreed they had a right. to be there..that doesn't make it a successful or logical choice all things considered. Thus I'm unsure what your point is.
Why must it be an illogical choice???
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I have a very understanding husband. He never complains about kids and sides with parents saying how hard it can be on long haul. He would think it is great thet were all in First.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I think the parents thought it would be a wonderful idea and experience to have the family fly in First and the use of points was logical to them. The father thought so in his comment about how lucky it was to get 4 upgrades go through indicates that.
However IME with children they have the ability to make the outcomes of your plans completely unpredictable and the result for this family may have been a some what less relaxing and luxurious experience than what they had hoped.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
On a personal note, I believe that if you are using public transport one has to be prepared for all the upsides and downsides public transport brings with it. And yes, I had kids ruin my premium class experience on some Qantas flights and yes, MircoDUF has ruined other pax' experience in premium cabins, most notably on NRT-SYD when MicroDUF was crying all night long as a baby.
Hear hear. All I ask is that parents are making an effort. Beyond that, it's public transport.^
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:40 am

You guys are all pretty laid back. I'll work on channeling that.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It's amazing how in thread after thread people can't focus on anything but what other people are doing. Who cares who else is there? If you really notice the kids as much as you say you did there's something wrong with the headphones you own or with your ability to mind your own business.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by CMK10
It's amazing how in thread after thread people can't focus on anything but what other people are doing. Who cares who else is there? If you really notice the kids as much as you say you did there's something wrong with the headphones you own or with your ability to mind your own business.
+1

If I had kids, I'd be in J or F. Don't like it? Too bad.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: Qantas FF, Korean Air, Emirates FF, Mariott, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by CMK10
As I mentioned in a previous comment in this thread, I REALLY don't like kids, but I agree.

The kids on my flight were LITERALLY touching me and bugging ME whilst the dad slept and the mum tried to juggle like 3 kids looking like she bout to die but I just put in my earphones and paid the dad back by constantly waking him up so I could go to the bathroom. 80% small bladder 20% payback for not GAF about his kids or missus
Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by FlyWithKaeMarie
The kids on my flight were LITERALLY touching me and bugging ME
On one of my flights there was a toddler who was running around F literally hitting people (no exaggeration, she was hitting and slapping, not just touching, people). Parents did nothing about the child. They were not even interested, saying "she's a child, what do you expect us to do about it?", despite repeated requests from the crew to keep their child under control because it was really disturbing other passengers. Sadly there was not even a spare jump seat to move to. It was awful.

You occasionally get genuinely bad behaviour from parents/child, sadly. I consider this unacceptable on a bus, let alone F. Unfortunately, it's amplified on an aeroplane because we can't get off until it lands, unlike a bus that stops everywhere. If I could get into the cargo hold, I would have done! And there was a temptation to hog the bog to escape from this awful toddler but I didn't, so that I don't end up preventing other people from using the loo (or hiding from this child). Maybe I did spend a little longer than usual there as I normally avoid spending time in the loo because I'm mildly claustrophobic

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jul 25, 2017 at 4:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.