Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
... click on the photo ...
I did , it looks US but the sockets look a little boxy
Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
It's a combo US, EU, AU socket. UK needs an adaptor.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:17 pm

Back to the subject of QF 8...when there are payload restrictions QF will offer "comfort seating" where one may secure an empty row (three seats) for a nominal fee. I've seen it offered frequently during the October-March season...they will announce availability over the PA at the gate (and I assume offer it upon check-in as well).
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:40 pm

Sitting on qf8 now. Originally I was on an a380 but changed my date and am now exiting on 737. How much better is the a380 business product, usually I'm only business out lax-bne/syd on the old 747?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:03 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by stillupsocut
Sitting on qf8 now. Originally I was on an a380 but changed my date and am now exiting on 737. How much better is the a380 business product, usually I'm only business out lax-bne/syd on the old 747?
I assume its a 744 subbed for the 380 rather than a 737.
The A380 cabin is dramatically quieter than the 744. The 744 windows are easier to see out of because of thinner cabin walls. Apart from that, there's little difference. Its still the same old droopy SkyBeds in both aircraft (put a bag or shoes under the foot piece to get it back to level).
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:30 am
Original Poster

I posted this in another thread but in economy do the two prong headphones have a removable adapter you can use with your own ?

I found this on another forum but from 2011, would you think it is accurate on the A380 that I am suppose to be on Dallas to Sydney

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer
Re: Do I need a headphone adaptor on the Qantas A380 (economy)?
While the headphones distributed freely on board use a two-pronged connection (presumably so that people don't try and take them off the aircraft), the actual pins on the headphones are of the standard 3.5mm headphone size - and thanks to some innovation from either Qantas or Airbus, plugging in a standard pair of headphones (obviously into one plug only) still produces stereo sound without the need of an adaptor

However, on most older non-A380 aircraft, you will need an adaptor to experience stereo sound... if you're only travelling on the A380 though (and not a 747), there will be no problems at all!

Also, I'm not sure if you've flown on the QF A380 before, however if you haven't, it's worth pointing out that AC power plugs are available in economy (one plug between two seats usually, and one plug per seat in the premium cabins), and each seat also has a USB connection (often hidden away in the tip of the armrest). The USB connection can either be used just as a power source (to charge an iPhone as an example), but can also be used to show personal media through the entertainment system (I'm not too sure about supported formats etc - someone else might be able to help you there)!
Source: http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...tor-32527.html

Last edited by jmsnyc; Jul 19, 2017 at 2:50 am
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Some economy head sets are convertible with one pin fold-able back in to the plug.

I generally use my own N/C - with an adapter where needed.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

So if I do not have my own two prong adapter I won't be able to use my own headphone ? I am sol, I had one but can't find it, and the only place to get them that I could find is online, not enough time
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by jmsnyc
So if I do not have my own two prong adapter I won't be able to use my own headphone ? I am sol, I had one but can't find it, and the only place to get them that I could find is online, not enough time
QF will happily sell you one onboard the flight for $10: link
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by shuuy
It is true QF goes out below 100% DFW-SYD given flight length and weight restriction.

I think that means fewer pax in Y - surprised that it's W0 assuming you look ahead.

I imagine ATL-LAX isn't a fun segment, so I do think sticking with ATL-DFW-SYD may be better.

Another input into your decision would be which program you want to credit to, of course. And cost I guess.
A friend of mine flew QF DFW -> SYD in economy and as described found it lightly loaded enabling him (without any additional) expense to stretch out over 3 or maybe even 4 seats. He claimed it wasn't bad and actually got a good bit of sleep. The return was a different story. With the winds at their backs, the cabin was almost full so it was an exhausting 15-16 hour return trip.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by livebetter_travelmore
A friend of mine flew QF DFW -> SYD in economy and as described found it lightly loaded enabling him (without any additional) expense to stretch out over 3 or maybe even 4 seats. He claimed it wasn't bad and actually got a good bit of sleep. The return was a different story. With the winds at their backs, the cabin was almost full so it was an exhausting 15-16 hour return trip.
While some people did have rows to themselves. I did not. I was in an aisle seat in the center with an empty seat next to me and two young ladies in the other two. We basically used the second seat for our blankets, pillows and sweatshirts when we weren't using them. The thing that was good though was that since they were friends, when they got up, they exited the other way, so if I was sleeping it was not necessary to wake me if they wanted to get up. The flight was not bad at all, and it seemed to go quick.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eminere
QF will happily sell you one onboard the flight for $10: link
Total waste of money and I think you need to preorder.. I saw one in the airport store for $13. You can order online for like $3. I was asking the flight attendant about it and she brought me the 3 prong noise canceling headphones even though I was in economy. I did not keep them though and left them on the plane.

The actual headphones in economy though were 1 prong headphones with an adapter attached. The adapter was not "easily" removable because the single prong of the headphones was tied through a hole in the adapter and the prong was too big too pull it out. A simple nail clipper could solve the problem though you would ruin the economy headphones If you were to take the economy headphones home with you , you could simply castrate the prong off the wire. Not that I am advocating that.

With that said, you can plug your own headphones into the adapter and just let the economy headphones hang.

Last edited by jmsnyc; Jul 22, 2017 at 6:42 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.